1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Slytherin Harry

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by CrackedMind, Mar 25, 2020.

1. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

Im sure there’s been threads like this in the past. Ive been reading a lot more in general because of corona downtime, and Den of Snakes has gotten me on a bit of a kick. (I recommend it. Be prepared for excellent characters that almost makes up for a very badly done WBWL and Dumbledore bashing)

Ive also read Prince of Slytherin. Wasn’t quite my thing.

Hoping to find some stuff that’s either complete, long, or currently updating. Interesting pairings would be nice, but not essential. Also open to just reading stories where Harry is a bit more willing to be self serving and use dark magic.

Any and all recs are appreciated (im going mad from boredom. Please send help).

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

POTIONS MOSTE POTENT
    MAGIKS MOSTE VILE

You've read the only two that I would even consider recing D:

I need to reread den of snakes again. I remember liking that.

3. CrackedMind

Are those on ffn or A03 or somewhere else? I tried googling but it just keeps coming up as references for the books from canon.

4. Zombie

That' was me being an asshole. Lmao. Making fun of Dark Harry book naming tropes. Sorry. The latter part of my message was Den of Snakes and Prince of Slytherin.

5. CrackedMind

Lol. I kind of figured when you didn’t actually link anything but Im so desperate for shit to read that I was willing to give it a try.

Probably for the better. Potions Moste Potent sounds like a wbwl fic where Lily and James are abusive and Harry gets raised by Snape to have questionable opinions about personal hygiene. I can already picture the touching scene where Harry, Snape, and Voldemort all cry and commiserate over shared abuse.

6. Niez

Niez Competition Winner CHAMPION ⭐⭐

On the Way to Greatness is the best Slytherin Harry story, in my opinion, though its incomplete. Also you've probably read it already.

The many Deaths of Harry Potter is also pretty good, though the focus is not on Harry being a Slytherin, but rather him being trapped in a series of groudhog day-like loops. This one is finished though, which is always nice to see.

Hogwarts Battle School
    is an odd one. I'm hesitant to recc it but as you say we got time and nothing to do. As the title suggests, its a Slytherin! Harry fic which takes place in an AU where Hogwarts is a rather more... militarised? institution. Its not terrible, but yeah. Also abandoned, as far as I can tell, but before you reach that point there are a cool 400k words to chew on.

Dodging Prison and Stealing Witches - Revenge is Best Served Raw is indulgence personified - or fictionalised I should say (I don't know if that's a word). A Slytherin! Harry sent back in time by Fate herself with Voldemort's memories and a twin who is wrongly acclaimed as the boy-who-lived . And yet, despite that premise, I found it fun for a while. Impossible to re-read though. Similar to the Prince of Slytherin in that if the author could be taught brevity and self-restraint he'd probably be able to work it into a good story. As it stands, its guilty pleasure at best. Currently updating.

And on the topic of guilty pleasures my own standout one is What Would Slytherin Harry Do? a series of raunchy/humorous snippets that features a truly unique take on the Slytherin! Harry trope. An oldie, and unfortunately long finished.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  7. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well at the risk of being a cunt I'm rewriting my fic at the minute.

Wands of any wood

Have most of it edited and what I have will be posted over the next few days.

8. Mordac

Mordac Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

That link is broken. :(

9. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Cheers Mordac, fixed.

10. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

These are the ones I'm tracking on Ao3. Some Harry/Slytherin, mostly Slytherin!Harry, check the tags. They range from almost-readable to somewhat decent. If you liked Den of Snakes, I recommend Souls Touch. Annoyingly, it looks as if the author disappeared, but the first year works as a stand-alone. Something you also might enjoy from that list is the Chessmaster series, that one is still ongoing. Birds and Monsters is also ... nice, if you enjoy us-against-the-world plots, and don't mind child romance. It's a bit like a dark-pimped Slytherin version of the typical H/G soul-bond stories. Instead of being only cutesy and fluffy, Harry and Daphne are also plotting death and destruction.

11. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    I do like this sub-genre. In addition to some of the ones named (second on the way to greatness if you somehow missed that) I would put the below...

The Perfectly Normal Series
    https://archiveofourown.org/series/346100

Technically he is not in Slytherin in that story, but it is essentially a story of "a slytherin harry who ends up in another house" and remains close friends with many of the Slytherins. A couple of cliche bits but overall I enjoyed it a great deal and even while not technically a slytherin story has much of what I look for in those.

Slytherin selection series. Goes into the start of book 6.
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8666085/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Slytherin-Selection

This and its sequals are one of the better HP in slytherin ones, mostly because I like the gradual and to my eyes believable changes Harry goes through. A bit of the stuff with Tracey makes me wince but overall very good

Hit The Ground Running by Tozette has been taken down, but if you can still find a copy from someone who will lend it to you it is VERY good. Combines Harry in Slytherin with the Horcrux in Harry's head wakes up. Very very well done imo. Some people hate the ending but I actually thought it fitting.

The Daring Win
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12005755/1/The-Daring-Win

Technically this is *pre* slytherin. Its accepted by just about everyone that Harry *will* be in Slytherin. He is taken in and raised by Umbridge. I dont usually like the authors work... and even this one was kind of only ok. but the plot was so amusing I liked it despite myself.

Harry Potter and the accidental horcrux
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11762850/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Accidental-Horcrux

Another one that combines Harry in Slytherin with the Horcrux in Harry's head waking up and talking to him. Very good imo. The sequel fell off the rails but the first one is great.

Old Blod
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12417372/1/Old-Blood

I'm meh on this but a lot of folks here swear by it

They Shook Hands

https://archiveofourown.org/series/335653

The writing is ok but not amazing. And a few weird plot decisions. This one is a fine fic to pass some time with if you like the genre but wont blow you out of the water.

12. CrackedMind

@Sesc @Niez @Seratin thank you for all the recs. Most of them I hadn’t heard of so it should get me a week or two of reading lol. I think the one sad/annoying thing ive found about all of these stories is that they all tend to burn out or be abandoned before they get really interesting (5th year or higher).

There’s only so many times you can read a story that falls the stations of canon but with Blaise/Nott and Pansy/Daphne/Davis instead of Hermione and Ron. Im still angry about where Den of Snakes ended on after 500k+ words that were great, but basically canon with added flair.

13. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Harry's a Gryffindor here.

Really good until OOTP, where it becomes one of the most boring stories I have ever read. This was one of my favorite fics and now I loath it.

Annerb has the best Slytherin!Ginny (best Ginny period), if you haven't read her series starting with The Changeling.
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/763509/Annerb

14. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    Oops sorry about old blood. i dont know why in my head i had 'slytherin'

15. Zombie

He said Slytherin Harry.

No one cares about Ginny. :(

16. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Wrong @Zombie

There's also @Sesc's Traitor's Son (WBA only) and Zennith's The Other Side of the Coin. There's also a few that don't seem to be on fanfic.net, such as Out of the Night by Raining Ink (which isn't Slytherin per se, but is set out of Hogwarts and focuses on purebloods) and some others whose titles I can't recall rn.

Sesc's other portfolio isn't Slytherin!Harry per se, but touches on similar themes.

17. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  18. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I remember enjoying Sitra Arha a great deal on my second read through, but I didn't recall that Harry was in Slytherin. Well spotted.

My recollection has me enjoying that one even more than 'On the Way to Greatness' - but I suspect the latter emphasize the Slytherin aspect a bit more, given that I'd forgotten the former had him in there at all.

Great rec Shiny.