1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"Worm" fics

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Celestin, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I'd only ever recommend Cenotaph if you like reskinned indy!Harry fics (and not even good ones).

You'll quickly find that Worm fics fall into just a handful of different categories. There's a lot of trends, a lot of meta fics, and a lot of copycats. Very rare to find anything original, and due to the nature of SB, that's unlikely to change.

My favorite overall fic is probably A Cloudy Path. It's an overambitious, bloated Tinker crossover. It really didn't need to be crossover at all, but you can say that about pretty much every other Tinker crossover out there. There's a lot of them that follow in this fic's footsteps, but I would just get this one out of the way first since they're all pretty much the same. After that, you can read More than Meets the Eye, Trailblazer, Ex Machina, Tinker Taylor Super Soaker, and a dozen others that are interchangeable.

Weaver Nine probably has the best Leviathan fight, though the rest of the fic is kinda meh. Despite how old the fic is, you can already see the deeply entrenched trend of power-swapping fics.

Camera Shy. One of the best fics, despite the obvious problem of escalation which plagues most fics.

Maharal. Really good fic focusing on Theo

A lot of fics, in my opinion, can only get away with a lot of the bullshit they do by dressing it up with humor:

Taylor Hebert, Pizzeria Tycoon. Fun little fic that wants me to see more reformed!Rune (which sadly is only like 5 fics, forcing me to have to write that myself)

Pick A Card. First two arcs of this fic have endless potential.

THE TECHNO QUEEN. I find this shit hilarious, for the most part/

Nemesis. Focuses too much on needless shipping, but still a quick read

2. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Advancing Technology is a fun story, but it is pretty short and no action.

VAINGLORIOUS is a Worm/Thor crossover where Taylor is a dark elf. A whole lot of worldbuilding.

3. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Can't say that after few days of reading, some fics aren't starting to blend together. Two stand out for different reasons.

Special Edition was the one that surprised me the most. I usual skip over PHO parts of the fics and this one is mostly happening in that format and it works.

Kill Them All is average, but it's finally a gamer fic that is not focused on stats. Making it more like an action game is a way to go with this theme.

4. Nerox

Nerox High Inquisitor

I am currently following Trailblazer. It's an Altpower with Taylor as a Tinker with Gundam style stuff (I have no clue about the gundam things but giant robots are pretty cool). Interesting themes and mysteries. 600k words and ongoing and the author updates frequently. Writing is solid, some errors though, but nothing too glaring.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  5. Archinist

Archinist Hαn Sαlsæd First

I would recommend The Weaver Option.

To very quickly summarize, a botched Chaos ritual brings Weaver and other Worm characters into the Wh40k universe in the year M35. It's basically a fix-it-fic for the Imperium of Man, I generally enjoyed it but some might be put off by the grammar mistakes and the hate-boner the author has for the Eldar. It's the longest standing Worm x-over fic to date.

6. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
  7. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Thanks for posting that, I enjoyed it.

"Works a lot better than it should" is a good description.

8. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Working as Intended is a similar PHO fic about Taylor who is a super trump and releases 'patch notes' on the internet. I haven't read it in a long while, but I know I enjoyed it a lot.

9. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

I definitely got some enjoyment out of this one, but I ultimately set it down. Did an admirable job walking the line you have to walk with a good crackfic, at least for a while, but in the end it falls victim to the whole "the further into it you get the more the wires show with it being the same 5-10 jokes repeated over and over" thing.

Oh also, re: Special Edition, I don't know if it was that author who came up with it or if it's kind of a Worm inside joke thing, but whoever originally came up with "Collateral Damage Barbie" to describe Glory Girl is a fucking genius, that's just such an amazing line.

10. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

11. Crownworthy

Crownworthy Banned

To each his own, I guess. It strikes me as the Worm version of stuff like Moldyshorts, Dumbledork, and The Order of the Fried Chicken.

12. Zilly Sawdust

Zilly Sawdust High Inquisitor

“That is not a look a master gives their apprentice who they are sworn to protect Leanan. Look, over there! A mortal on the cusp of manhood writing feverish poetry in the hopes of soothing his virgin loins!”

The Leanan gasped in joy and turned, only to see the opaque glass front of a coffee house across the street.

“Well I assume. Places like that are full of them these days.”

Haven't laughed this hard all year

13. Celestin

Taylor Has a Strange Hobby (Yandere!Taylor).

Despite the description in the title it's neither a complete crack nor murderous fic. At least at the moment. Rather it's a humours fic about Taylor who enjoys being bullied and her courting of Sophia. While I normally dislike Hess, this fic manages to put fun in their dysfunctional relationship.

14. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

I thought it was a shitpost, but this fic is hilarious. Full of toptier meme energy.

15. Celestin

It's one of these things where the premise itself sounds like it can never work, but the author proves that it's the execution of it that matters most.

16. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Bluenine is always worth reading. Read it a short while ago and it got some good laughs out of me. A decent, fun read which is completely unserious.

17. dudeler

dudeler High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Are here still some People interested in new worm fanfic recs? During the lockdown I dived into the sea of piss that is worm fanfictiom and I think I found a few pearls. Well, maybe some nice seashells that don't smell like dead fish to badly.

18. Donimo

Donimo Auror

So share. Except for ongoing Trailblazer updates I haven't read any Worm ff for awhile.

19. dudeler

dudeler High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Here comes the new boss (nothing linke the old boss)
    This is am AU where the teeth returned to Brockton at some point after Taylor triggers.
    Due to here shard she is able to to manage the voices of the previous butchers. She becomes a hero while trying to hide the fact that she is the new butcher.
    Pretty decent fic, considering the standard of the fandom it is good.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/thr...oss-nothing-like-the-old-boss-worm-au.853195/

Warp is a Victoria Peggy Sue. Her Ward era self travels back in time. This fic is actually very good, well written and somewhat dark if I remember correctly. It also updates abysmally slow and only standa at 15k words.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/warp-worm-ward-victoria-peggy-sue.708871/

Hardlight is another altpower with AU elements. It's a guilty pleasure at best. But if you are bored and your expectations are not to high, give it a try.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/hardlight-au-alt-power.858637/page-4

This is a very weird one. A deaged Contessa somehow ends up in the Harry potter world, retaining her ptv ability. She is of course completely op. The Problem is, that she is not familiar with the world, so she does not know which questions to ask. There is some multi crossover going on.
    To my great surprise, i enjoyed it. Maybe it is to "out there" for some folks here. I would really like a second opinion on this one, since it should be bad, but somehow isn't.
    https://m.fanfiction.net/s/13347956...UJURaS024y827V89fL5-8M4zj3JJ8NJzHJ9rqWgtlzKLI

Loaf - bit of an oldie, but only read it recently.
    It's another Contessa fic. But this time it's crack. It's also post gold morning.
    Contessa tries to bake a loaf of bread, and manages to stumble from one impossible situation to the next. Highly recommended.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/loaf-worm-post-epilogue-humor-complete.467128/

If my taste in worm fanfiction is similar enough to some of the other members, I can look for some of the older stuff I liked. There is some stuff on my reading list that looks decent, but which I haven't read yet.
    I would also appreciate any recommendations.
    Especially lesser known fanfics and non Taylor MCs. Can't stand to much of here Special brand of misery

20. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Falsely Dreaming In Brockton Bay is a quest/story where the bad-guy from Morrowind is reincarnated as Taylor. It isn't a masterpiece, but I'm enjoying it.

Also, ShayneT has started a new Heroes/Worm crossover called Intuition. I know a lot of people are critical of his work, but I like it and he updates fast.