1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Special Edition By WriterOfFortune - Worm

Discussion in 'Worm' started by Halt, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Title: Special Edition
    Author: WriterOfFortune
    Rating: [Censorship Hooo! Movie and Fanfic rating systems accepted.]
    Fandom: Worm
    Pairings: N/A
    Summary: N/A
    Link: Spacebattles

"Taylor sees the future and shares it with the world through PHO, in the style of news reports. It's based on a movie from years ago, where someone got tomorrow's newspaper every day, and the whole premise is that Taylor sells her predictions to people and serves as a strictly neutral party akin to Toybox. This leans heavily on the PHO excerpts rather than an actual narrative, but it works for it a lot better than it should, and I enjoyed it." -Agayek

@Quiddity @Sauce Bauss @Feoffic @Agayek @Vira @Paradise tagged for liking thread.

Personally, I enjoyed the heck out of this story. Very much an example of how PHO Interludes can be used to DRIVE NARRATIVE rather than just be a reaction fluff piece to pad the word count. The interludes are well done and give us a hint of both what has been going on behind the scenes, internal character motivations, and expanding on the ripples caused by this AltPower Taylor.

It doesn't hit any stations of canon either.

Overall, a good read, excellent technical execution, well-thought out work.

5/5

2. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

Its fairly good, my major criticisms are

The character is never really explored you see bits and pieces of them by what they post but they never grow.

Its short, thats basically the defining piece of my criticisms, its too short and too slow to really be explored in any measure of detail, if it had been longer it would be an excellent fic, but I'm going to have to give it a

3/5

I've decided that if we are grading a story on the authors ability to write, their ability to write consistently and finish things should be part of the score.

3. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

It's funny seeing DLP discover Worm, and in the process go through the same cycles of fanfiction that eventually led us all here.

I've gotten really frustrated with it over the last year or so, mainly because Taylor's depiction in fanfiction is constructed from memes and escalation. This story shares the same problem. Towards the end she's just a caricature of herself who's effortlessly outplotting the entire world. That was fine when there were just reactions, but eventually there's no fun seeing yet another Taylor with an incredible power casually winning forever. As you guys get further into the fandom I think you'll start to feel the same way.

It is well written and it's a neat premise, but alternate(over)powered Taylors have a firm cap. 3.5/5 rounded down.

4. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

This is one of the few alt-power stories I've reread more than once.because the hook is interesting and it doesn't take long to read. Everything is well executed, and this is the only story that I can think of that does the PHO format well. I like that we only have two short-ish arcs and a couple interludes to read, and I could never see another update and be perfectly happy. If the story had continued, it probably would have fallen into the same traps as other alt/over-powered Taylor fics and been a massive disappointment.

This story is the fanfic equivalent of popcorn. Easy and fast to read, satiates the need to read a certain kind of story, and is gone right before you regret it. 3.5/5 rounded up.

5. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, story started off pretty fun and I liked it while I was reading it, but exploring what Taylor's power could do grew boring once I realized she was way too powerful. It takes all the suspense out the story since she's basically unbeatable.

Story's abandoned anyways, so that's just how it's going to end.

3.5/5.

6. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Pretty much full circle. At this point just finding fics that aren't absolutely garbage or isn't SBs trend of the week.

7. Donimo

Donimo Auror

I generally agree with you Puzzled, however I think this fic is an exception due to how it's written. It's like how even rehash fics can be interesting if you just change perspective to something novel.

8. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I enjoyed the story, though the live action elements less, and it suffers from getting just far enough to hint at something interesting without ever going there. A solid 4/5 from my point of view.

Cheers for the tag, @Halt.

9. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I will give it 4/5 for proving the concept and doing it quite well.

10. thejabber27

thejabber27 Groundskeeper

I'll say outside of the pre-cog not really being characterised as Taylor this was enjoyable. 4/5

11. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'll concur. The best example of the format given, fun, and doesn't really leave you feeling gutted that there isn't more coming. An easy 4/5 rec.

12. GrandHighPoobah

GrandHighPoobah Third Year

I'll echo everyone else saying this is one of the best uses of this format I've seen.

The bits of story here that aren't conveyed through the medium of the PHO news posts are the weakest. The style of news reporting lends itself to opening up the audience's imagination in a really effective way - I found myself actually enjoying filling in the gaps that the news stories leave and I think that there's a really good balance of how much is shown to the audience vs. what is actually happening. So much is implied, and it really works.

Where this story loses some points is that there really aren't any stakes - the narrative itself is not the focus of the story; it's all about the meta-narrative of what Taylor's existence as a precog entails and how that influences t, and Taylor is essentially omniscient here, so we really needed a fixed POV character that can stand-in for the audience and be somebody we can invest emotional energy into. I think the "real time" interludes from the news postings were the author's attempt at doing this, to keep things lively by putting some characters in harm's way, but they fall flat due to the deterministic nature of Taylor's power and the fact that they are more or less one offs, so there's no real sense of investment in them for me - I would have preferred the POV of a character with an antagonistic relationship with Taylor if anything, balking against the idea that the future is set in stone unless you have access to Taylor's power.

This format lends itself to a short form, very concise story. That this story is abandoned isn't a surprise - it basically ran out of gas, and I'm sure that the author struggled to find new ground to cover. It's unfortunate, because the basic format was handled really well, and while I enjoyed what was there, it was inherently unsatisfying due to a lack of focus and closure.

3/5, probably 4/5 if it were not abandoned.

13. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Here's my review from a year ago -

"Fun little story. It’s just kinda weirdly meta. Reading a forum-based story on a forum. At least the hole doesn’t go deeper with PHO-based meta fanfiction written by Glory Girl. I will say, despite my general dislike of the over-abundance of PHO chapters in the fanfiction community as a whole, I do wish this story was still actively updating. Only complaint is that Taylor doesn’t really feel like Taylor. I get that there’s a group of people who won’t read non-Taylor Worm stories, but this story could have played out pretty much the same if it was just an OC. Hell, you could have a very similar story if it was just Dinah instead."

Now, having read that, idk if the story has actually been updated since I read it.

14. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I just entirely put the idea of it being Taylor out of mind. It was a fun thing; I read it kind of like enjoying Psychohistory in Foundation. The last chapters where they abandoned the format were subpar but didn't wreck the overall experience.