1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"A Song of Ice and Fire" stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by purple, Jul 9, 2012.

1. TheAnimaniacDude

TheAnimaniacDude Second Year

I THOUGHT I recognized your username over there. I've been having a good time with it so far. Can't wait to see where it goes.

2. Donimo

Donimo Auror

I read your quest, looking forward to updates. Is there anything else worth reading on that site?

3. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    For ASoIaF? There are some decent enough quests, but nothing I'd call a great piece of fiction. Nothing that's updating regularly anyway. In general, yes. That sort of thing would deserve its own thread though.

4. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Well this is story search. Feel free to make this the thread.

5. Dn18

Dn18 Third Year

Yes, I would also LOVE a thread on that. The most-liked stories don't look to be rated on standards of good writing. Don't care if its ASoIaF or updating, just want a decent read with a plot, not poorly written smut.

6. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

If you’re searching for it, you make the thread as the requester, dude.

7. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    the challenge ive noted with good ASOIAF fanfic, is not many authors can do everything. By that I mean, ive seen some that have engrossing plots/politics, etc.... but the characters read like automatons going through the motions. Ive read others (putting aside the stupid ships which always seem especially stupid in ASOIAF compared to other fandoms) that have great characterizations and interactions, but the authors cant seem to fit things into the larger world.

I think it probably underlines what GRRM did so well, which was this vast and complicated world but peopled by interesting shade of gray characters who had real depth and motivation.

But yeah, more then most fandoms, I find ASOIAF tends to be nichy. You can find VERY good niche fics, but only a handful that are just flat out amazing.

edit to add: The other problem I see is folks make their scope too big. Not many people can pull off a cast of a thousand with dozens of pov's that are engaging. Its why so many fics tend to just become plot driven devices.

Its also why (for better or for worse) I try to keep my own asoiaf fics narrow in perspective. Largely from one POV. I dont think im skilled enough to juggle engaging characters in a dozen povs.

Unless you're specifically looking for the big plot driven one, the best ASOIAF fics tend to be (some exceptions) the ones that zoom the character focus in. They try to get a few characters done right rather then a dozen povs.

Heh the nature of the books with its unique pov structure tends to make fanfic authors more ambitious then their skills in this fandom.

8. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

That’s gonna fly really well here.

9. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    Hah i' think we'd fine some that folks here like. I mean sure theres plenty of trash, but thats true of any fandom. Theres plenty of gems too. I do think like every fandom theres trends, and ASOIAF fics can get too side tracked in plot twists and like... 'grand politics' to the determent of the actual story/characters sometimes. Its why there are billions of tech-lift SI stories in the fandom. But every fandom has its weird trends.

Two of my favorite ASOIAF fics are actually crossovers. One with LOTR (Hear Me Roar) and one with Dresden (A Song of Ice and Fire that wasnt my fault). The first is an author that actually pulls off the whole 'massive epic' correctly. The second is an example of an author narrowing his focus in. Events happen in the world but he doesnt feel the need to show us each event. He follows the story of our character (Dresden).

10. Mordr4d

Mordr4d Second Year

High Score:
    I really like your Edmure Tully self insert story, soczab. Do you have any recommendations similar to your fanfic with a self insert? Game of thrones or something else.

11. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    Thanks man! I appreciate that a ton. Hmmm. I actually dont like many ASOIAF SIs. The fics i tend to like in that fandom tend to be none-si (if you want non-si I can give a few). My frustration with ASOIAF SIs was one of the reasons i wrote both of mine. The Bastard of Highgarden might be the best of them and that one kind of went a bit meh near the end.

If you want ASOIAF recs that arent SI i have a few!

SI's I like in other genres. Hmm. This is off the top of my head so apologies for the lack of links.

Dreaming of Sunshine (naruto)
    Dragponfly by Peccolia (naruto... and different from most sis)
    A Young Woman's Political Record (very good)
    Dragonspawn (MHA: A decision by the author plot wise early on really annoyed me and almost made me give it up. But im glad I stuck with it)
    Whirlpool (Maybe more of a crossover? Naruto sucked into WORM verse. but its amazing).

Actually if by SI we count crossovers where the character is sucked into a new world i might have a lot more. But otherwise ill think on it more. Most of the SIs ive liked seem to be in Naruto as I reflect on this. I know when i get a chance to go home to my lists ive probably got a dozen naruto SI fics i could rec.

12. Mordr4d

Mordr4d Second Year

High Score:
    Thanks for the response. Yeah, you should be proud of that fanfic. Best SI in the asoiaf setting in my opinion. And top 5 overall and I've red quite a lot.

Thanks for your recommendations, I'll check out some of those.

So if you have some more with male protagonists hit me up and as for asoiaf fanfics yeah if you got any fanfics that have a protagonist like your Edmure Tully then sure.

And by chance have you read Rictus's Path of Ruin on SpaceBattles? I feel it is quite similar to your quality of SI but in this case it's in Star Wars. It's hard to find fics like his and yours, they tend to be gems in this pile of sludge that's called fanfiction.

13. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    I've not read that, ill check it out. Ive actually never seen star wars (crazy i know?) but i know the basic plot enough to follow along.

Mmm. I assume youve read my other shorter SI if you like my style (and thanks again!)

If you haven't read "https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11605215/1/Hear-Me-Roar-The-Lannisters-in-the-War-of-the-Ring" I strongly recommend that.

I'm also a fan of https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12302583/1/A-Clash-of-Kings-Knees-Falling for a more 'traditional' sort of fic

14. Silveron

Silveron First Year

High Score:
    A Game of Thrones and Magic.

Troubled by visions of the future, Bloodraven decides to interfere and bless his kin by forcibly opening their third eye.. by having their horse throw them on the way back from the execution of a deserter. Haunted by prophetic visions and memories not-his-own, Jon's story takes a different turn when he returns to Winterfell with Tyrion instead of swearing his vows.

Short so far but apart from a slightly confusing first chapter, it's a decent looking story.

15. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

@TheAnimaniacDude I've generally let the self-promotion posts slide, but if you're trying to solicit discussion and feedback, you have a (highly-rated, might I add) library thread for this purpose. That should be the place for these kinds of things to make it easier for future potential readers to decide if they want to read it or not.

There is also WbA if you'd like pre-publication feedback (not sure if you have a thread).

And while all of you other (@Donimo @Odran @Republic @Spanks @Dn18 ) people are in the library thread, leave an actual story review if you haven't yet.

Your posts have been moved.

16. TheAnimaniacDude

TheAnimaniacDude Second Year

I was under the impression that thread was for reviews only, and other discussion should either be here, or in a WbA thread (which I have deliberately not made). My mistake. I'm not familiar with the rules of DLP outside of this small section; I won't do any more meme-y update posts if it's against the rules.

17. Halt

Posting "I've updated" (and it's meme equivalent) are fine, even for the library thread. This thread is kind of a catch-all basin for discussing the general state of the fandom + any other story that hasn't been put up for review and sorted.

18. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

The first was, like you mentioned, particularly confusing until you reach the Winterfell scene. Following that, I feel like the writing just gets better and better. It's still short, but I like what I've read so far. I would probably rate it 3.5 rounded up to 4 because it's the type of story I want to read in this fandom.

19. Halt

Recommending A Boy and His Dragon on AH

For Review Thread here

Quoting myself:

Smaug from LOTR is born as a dragon in ASOIAF. Horror ensues as the world turns mad due to his corruptive influence.

I don't really know how else to put it. It's an intriguing concept, sadly abandoned I think, but still very much worth reading.

4/5.

20. Halt