1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP Improvement Thread V2: Electric Boogaloo

Discussion in 'DLP Feedback and Improvement' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

I have considered a more component-based rating before, where you instead give a set of 0-5 scores:

Plot
    Pacing
    Technique

along those lines (not those specifically, but you get the drift). You could have a story that's written really well in every way except the plot sucks.

2. Hymnsicality

Hymnsicality Seventh Year

Is there any possibility of having it be so that you can't rate a thread if you don't write a review? It's quite incongruous when the all the replies are rating it positively yet the rating is 2 stars or sth similar. Doesn't happen often but it's jarring when it does.

But then again you do want to balance engagement quantity and quality. I have no idea whether my suggestion would lower engagement rate to an untenable amount.

A component based rating system could be a good middleground. Only a few more clicks but additional thought and quality of feedback is always a positive.

3. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

I would mildly ask who wants to read a story that has a really well written shit plot D:

But yeah, I get the point. There's degrees. Perhaps there are lots of clichés, but they're written really well. You could map that on a component-based system. Not averse to it, as long as it doesn't become inconvenient (I wouldn't push past three categories resp. clicks, myself). It's just that I think precisely that averaging happens now in the heads of people, so the result wouldn't differ much -- or, at least, that is what I do.

Edit: @Hymsicality -- we debated that before, more than once. The result always was that we believed that ratings would virtually dry up. And in the end, as long as there are enough votes, the occasional "oh it's got Ginny in it let's give it a 1/5"-rating doesn't matter either, because it averages out.

Edit2: Actually, you're right. That would be a true benefit. I assumed people would only see the average rating, not the components, but that's nonsense. Yes, with that in mind, a component-based system is interesting.

4. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Would drive away people from posting its been talked about but people use thumbs and ratings as low effort interaction.

5. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

If we could just get a suggestion channel on the discord that be mint.

Also, some more discord tags, that people can opt into if they'd like, nationalities, certain games, or just a general game alert would be nice.

6. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So... this is a very asinine complaint, but does anyone else think the emoticons on here suck? I've always liked this one :p, but whenever I use it on DLP I just cringe.

7. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

:GDie1 :wizard: :magic: :office:mid6

8. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Is there any way to make it so the Discord relay on the side doesn't automatically force you down to the bottom when it updates? I can't use Discord at all while at work, and I like to read it from time to time, but it's impossible to scroll back when more than a few people are chatting, as it just keeps bouncing back to the bottom.

9. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Read faster, you casual.

10. Utsane

Utsane Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

This a minor issue, and I wasn't sure where to post it:

The banner which says "Title", "Replies", etc. shows two numbers under "Views" and the words "Views" and "Replies" under "Replies".

It's the same information either way, just that it makes the banner redundant.

11. Zombie

Have a screenshot?

12. Utsane

Utsane Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Annotation 2019-09-28 123556.jpg

Could put the number of replies under "Replies" and the number of views under "Views"

13. Zombie

The title bar utility is for sorting threads based on views and replies. The other is actual thread statistics. Ones a tool, and the other is information. I guess the way its placed is not clear, but short of that you'd have to use "Thread Display Options" at the bottom of each subforum to sort without those being up there.

I'll look into it though.

14. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Can we change the avatar display size back to 150x150 (as we had it pre-migration to Xenforo)?

I've found it much harder to remember people now that it's 96x96 - avatar sizes going down while screen sizes are going up and whatnot.

15. Zombie

I thought they were 200x200 now?

16. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Coming up as 96x96 in paint when I copy and paste.

17. Microwave

Microwave Professor

Capture.PNG

18. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

200x200 is prob the max on the profile page itself.

Edit: Perhaps not, the scaler on the profile page says 192x141.5, so it's probably max of 192x192 odly enough.

19. lopeck

lopeck Groundskeeper

Capture.PNG

You can upload an avatar with a higher resolution, but since it gets downscaled to 96x96 there is really no reason for it.

20. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

I was wondering wheter we should expand Work by Author to front page as its own thing rather than the current setup we have now.