1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Want some serious feedback about your writing? Enter the Q3 2019 Story Competition!

Topic(s): EITHER
    - What the Professors get up to in the summers.
    - Ritual Magic!

Word count: 17.5k max (no minimum)
    Deadline: September 9th
    Check out the Competition Page
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Q3 2019 Story Competition has 17 DAYS LEFT! (September 9th)

Check out the Competition Page and get writing folks!
    Dismiss Notice

DLP Improvement Thread V2: Electric Boogaloo

Discussion in 'DLP Feedback and Improvement' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin

I have considered a more component-based rating before, where you instead give a set of 0-5 scores:

Plot
    Pacing
    Technique

along those lines (not those specifically, but you get the drift). You could have a story that's written really well in every way except the plot sucks.

2. Hymnsicality

Hymnsicality Sixth Year

Is there any possibility of having it be so that you can't rate a thread if you don't write a review? It's quite incongruous when the all the replies are rating it positively yet the rating is 2 stars or sth similar. Doesn't happen often but it's jarring when it does.

But then again you do want to balance engagement quantity and quality. I have no idea whether my suggestion would lower engagement rate to an untenable amount.

A component based rating system could be a good middleground. Only a few more clicks but additional thought and quality of feedback is always a positive.

3. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

I would mildly ask who wants to read a story that has a really well written shit plot D:

But yeah, I get the point. There's degrees. Perhaps there are lots of clichés, but they're written really well. You could map that on a component-based system. Not averse to it, as long as it doesn't become inconvenient (I wouldn't push past three categories resp. clicks, myself). It's just that I think precisely that averaging happens now in the heads of people, so the result wouldn't differ much -- or, at least, that is what I do.

Edit: @Hymsicality -- we debated that before, more than once. The result always was that we believed that ratings would virtually dry up. And in the end, as long as there are enough votes, the occasional "oh it's got Ginny in it let's give it a 1/5"-rating doesn't matter either, because it averages out.

Edit2: Actually, you're right. That would be a true benefit. I assumed people would only see the average rating, not the components, but that's nonsense. Yes, with that in mind, a component-based system is interesting.

4. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Moderator DLP Supporter

Would drive away people from posting its been talked about but people use thumbs and ratings as low effort interaction.

5. Paradise

Paradise Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

If we could just get a suggestion channel on the discord that be mint.

Also, some more discord tags, that people can opt into if they'd like, nationalities, certain games, or just a general game alert would be nice.