1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Weak Hero by Seopass / Razen - M

Discussion in 'Original Fiction' started by Halt, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Title: Weak Hero
    Author: Seopass / Razen
    Rating: M
    Genre: Action / Adventure / Fighting
    Library Category: Misc - Anime, Cartoon, and Comics
    Pairings: Fist x Face
    Summary: Once the bullies target you, it’s game over. The school is run by tyrants whose favorite hobby is tormenting the weakest kids in class. But then Gray arrived. This mysterious new student threatens to dismantle the established order. He may be small in stature, but his calculative and brutal fighting leaves unsuspecting opponents lying on the floor begging for mercy. Now the school's toughest bullies have to scramble to take down this new and unusual hero.
    Link: Weak Hero <- Official version, so not warez.

So this is actually a really good fighting manhwa. It's got some really powerful art, that makes you feel like the fighting is as brutal as its meant to be.

The protag is also very competent, but more as someone who studies the weakpoints of others and their psychology instead of being traditionally strong at fighting. It takes nearly zero time to get invested in this, and by the first chapter you'll know, or you won't know if you like this kind of story.

The supporting cast is also quite interesting in the way it subverts expectations about who these people are and should be, which makes the interpersonal relationships between the cast quite endearing.

5/5

2. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Been reading this for a long time now. I think 'powerful art' is a good way to describe it. It just pops. The characters are very distinct visually and personality wise, and continue to grow as the story progresses, not just the MC.
    In particular, a character named Teddy undergoes a very satisfying character arc that isn't completely over yet.

The fights are awesome and honestly, brutal as fuck. Probably my favourite manhwa right now.

5/5 easily if you remotely like fighting and a very clever protagonist.

3. kelkorkesis

kelkorkesis DA Member

High Score:
    I started it after Halt's suggestion a while ago. It has the most satisfying fights I've ever seen in this medium. Characters are depicted somewhat older then their ages but I get used to it after a while.

5/5 if you like action.

4. GiantMonkeyMan

GiantMonkeyMan High Inquisitor

Big fan of it, it's got some very satisfying fights and artwork to go with it. Thanks for the recommendation.

5/5

5. Jack-O

Jack-O Second Year

Very solid rec. I binged all the available chapters in one sitting, it was just that good.

Agreed about the character's appearances, though - they're supposed to be highschoolers but they all look more like young adults to me.

In terms of plot, it kinda annoys me that there don't appear to be any competent adults or authorities around, but that sort of comes with the territory for the genre so it's not too big of a deal.

Easy 5/5. Must read if you're a fan of the fighting/action.

6. Tsar

Tsar Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Been reading this for a while. It's easily one of my favourite fighting manga/manwh

7. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Headmaster DLP Supporter

It's solid entertainment. I greatly enjoyed the use of pocket sand. It's well paced too, with proper buildup of tension before the fight scenes, and satisfying payoffs in the resolution.

Pretty unique premise and it leans on some shounen manga cliches a bit early on, but really hits a stride about 70 chapters in.

There's a lot of character backstory that only gets explored in a shallow sense, but I'd be expecting a depth from a webtoon that takes away from the focus of the fighting genre.

I'd compare it very favorably to another regular Thursday webtoon, UnOrdinary, which features a similar premise of underdog protagonist in an ultraviolent school setting, only with superpowers. Dropped that one a while back because I felt its plot fell off a cliff, but picking up Weak Hero feels like going in the opposite direction.

There's a wealth of storylines that are fleshing out and a foreseeable end that I'm looking forward to, which is a hell lot more than I can say for most webnovels and their ilk. I wasn't really invested in the fights and story arcs of characters not featuring the protagonist, but they've quickly grown on me. Some of the antagonists were cartoonishly evil and one note, but the cast has been expanding to more interesting and developed personalities.

As for criticisms, there are more than a few glaring typos that I can't blame on being lost in translation but poor editing/proofreading. I'll also echo Jack-O's thoughts, suspending disbelief takes a bit of effort for the genre. On the other hand, I've known delinquents in middle school and high school who were held back a year or two and had the stature of these characters. However, going from wannabe gangsters to pseudo mafia head, demolishing an older, established gang at that age is a hell of a stretch.

The complete absence of adults and authorities is also a problem I have with the genre. But the absence of weapons also irks me. We know they exist and we know they're used; the precursor to the Union wielded bats or 2x4s, and a box cutter is used on a schoolbag. The purity of fisticuffs in the genre is only tainted by the brutal pragmatism of the protagonist. Someone definitely would have gotten shanked in reality.

The last bit that broke my immersion for the longest time is the anglicization of all the first names. There's like two characters that have full on Korean names but everyone else is like Donald, Daffy, Myles, Mickey, Ben, Teddy, Julia, Lily, Lala and so on. I guess it's more familiar sticks easier for a western audience, but it took a while to get over that.

5/5 bullied kid's OP protagonist 8th grader syndrome wish fulfillment.

8. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was making a rec thread for this then decided to check if it had already been done.

It's fucking fantastic. The premise is cool, and Gray lives up to the ruthless cold calculation promised. The art is good, and I love the fights, but the real thrill here is the friendship between the main cast.

There's nothing more noble and pure than a friendship between men.

I cried like a baby at Gray's backstory with Stephen.

5/5

9. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

I'm not much for waterworks but it def made me very sad for them.

I agree with Otters.

5/5

10. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

This, a lot. I'm enjoying the story despite it, but it makes doing so quite a bit harder than it would otherwise be.

11. Cirvante

Cirvante First Year

I like that part. Korean names are so difficult to remember and half of them are named Kim or something.

5/5 One of my favourite webtoons