1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Q2 - 2021 - DLP Story Competition!

Discussion in 'Q2 2021' started by Ched, Apr 11, 2021.

?

Pick yer poison, and for fucks sake only vote if you consider writing!

Poll closed Apr 16, 2021.
  1. Hogwarts Ghosts

12 vote(s)
    34.3%
  2. "In hindsight, destroying the dementors was worse..."

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. Love in a time of war

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. Duelling

12 vote(s)
    34.3%
  1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Congratulations to our winner!
    Ghosts of Hogwarts (or: Stumble Before the Finish Line)
    Written by our very own LucyInTheSkye

== == == ==

“The doer alone learneth.”
    – Friedrich Nietzsche

2021 - Second Quarter!

Alright, lez go. Pandemic (in many of countries) is winding down even if it's got a ways to go. Summer is coming, even if it's still a ways away. Lots of us are feeling some version of WTF in our lives.
    Let's write stories, yeah?

2021 Q2 Competition
    Topic - Hogwarts Ghosts -or- Dueling
    Word Count:
    50 - 17,500 words
    Due Date: June 20th
    Voting: June 21st - July 5th

Submit your stories to @Xiph0 via pm.
    You have until midnight in his time zone, which is Eastern US, though there may be a few hours grace period (but don't rely on that).

Xiph0 and I may know your identity but otherwise you'll be kept anonymous unless you choose to claim your story after the competition.

"Anonymous" means that you don't widely advertise / discuss your story. PLEASE feel free to grab a handful of beta readers / brainstormers to help you out. This has always been the case but I want to emphasize it - run your ideas / drafts by people you trust! Get feedback and help with edits, etc.

How-to-Vote
    1. Leave a 200+ word review for each story (in the story thread)
    2. Distribute 5 points between the stories as you see fit (in this thread)**
    3. Authors must vote but cannot vote for themselves
    **subject to change depending upon number of entries

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  2. Ched

"In hindsight, destroying the dementors was worse..." is a first line prompt - so your story must start with that partial line.

The others are pure topics.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  3. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I may have the beginnings of an idea for duelling...we'll see.

4. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Bonus points if you have a story that includes all four?

5. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    Hogwarts Ghosts is a cool topic. Work-related stress beat my plans into submission for Q1, but I’ve toyed with a plot bunny recently that could make for a nice one-shot.

6. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I'm currently planning a love related oneshot so I would love for it to win. Outside of that, hmm, can't think of an idea for any others (yet).

7. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Mmm. I voted for Hogwarts Ghosts, have an idea there I'll write either way I think.

...who you gonna call?

8. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

I voted for Hogwarts ghosts too. There are all sorts of interesting backstories to be explored there, and you can make their post-death lives intersect with others. 'Love in a time of war' could be interesting too, especially if things get angsty or tragic.

'Dueling' is the favorite? Fucking seriously? Come on, people. The 'dueling/training sessions' are the parts of every story that we all skip. It's an invitation to write uninspired action sequences, or theorize about how one's strategy is rooted in ancient runes. No one wants to read about how one dueler countered a swarm of locusts with a horde of snorkacks. There's no room for an actual story or characterization. Recreating the Dumbledore-Grindelwald duel sounds cool until you start writing it. If it veers into Dumbledore tricking him because they were lovers, it's not really about dueling, is it?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  9. AlbusPHolmes

AlbusPHolmes The Alchemist

Damn, those are some severely uninspiring hot-takes about where imaginative writers can take Duelling.

It's almost as if DLP isn't filled with talented writers who've shown time and again they spin good, innovative stories out of any prompt. Oh wait...

10. Nick Jarvis

Nick Jarvis Muggle

Couldn't agree more that dueling is a rather stale topic in terms of plot, and I don't know how I'd do much with it in terms of character. (Hello, by the way -- I'm new to the forum and fiction writing.) Not to say talented writers can't do anything with it, of course, but it certainly doesn't inspire my own creativity.

The Hogwarts ghosts on the other hand would seem to be teeming with potential for humor, or horror, or a more literary exploration of rejecting the afterlife.
    I've gone ahead and switched my vote from 'love in a time of war' to the ghosts. I hope this consolidation behind one of the two more interesting topics will lead others to change their vote as well, providing serious competition for 'dueling'.

11. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    heh im a dueling fan for what it is worth, but mostly because I think that path gives a lot of options. And a topic is only as stale as you let it be. I like the idea of taking a topic that has been done before and pushing myself to re-invent it (Ive got a couple of fun ideas for dueling that have me excited).

Nothing wrong with the others either of course.

12. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    You Team Duelling fanboys are all the same. At least Team Hogwarts Ghosts didn’t force Bella to kiss us and then imprint on Renesmee.

13. Ched

A tie means any of the tied topics are valid options, btw.

14. Erotic Adventures of S

That’s boring, make it a mandatory combo :).

15. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

If it's close, why not make every prompt acceptable? There would be more submissions.

Also, can we make the results of the vote public? It would be nice to know which ones are coming from bitch-ass trolls who have no intention to write.

16. Erotic Adventures of S

Not necessarily. Being specific helps motivate people and generate original ideas, having it to wide open often leads to less creativity, not more.

17. bking4

bking4 Second Year ⭐⭐

High Score:
    I will be done with school by the end of May, which means I'll almost definitely have time to write for this. Tried to at least review the last competition even though I didn't manage to write, and got too busy for even that, unfortunately.

Ghosts looked really fun! The dementor first line has some potential but I'd need to ruminate a bit first.

Don't know about dueling, I can probably dredge something up. I'm just pants at writing action sequences, or at least I never like the ones I write. We'll see how it turns out, I suppose!

18. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Fair enough. Speaking only for myself, I've got 1,000 words already written that will fit in two of the four categories. I won't write something for the others.

I'm asking @Ched about making the votes public because the 'dementor' vote suddenly surged from last to first place, despite the fact that literally no one has expressed enthusiasm for the topic. If half those votes come from people who joined last year and have never written or reviewed anything--well, fuck their opinions. They shouldn't be the deciding factor, even if their contributions are valued.

Red
  19. Nexis

Nexis Third Year

High Score:
    I voted for Hogwarts Ghosts. I have written two entries in the past but lately none of the prompts really sparked my interest so I didn't even vote since I knew that I wasn't going to write anything anyway. But this one seems really interesting and I would love to explore it in a story. Here's hoping that it actually wins.

20. Ched

@darklordmike - First, it's my bad on not having the votes public. I usually tick that box but didn't this time, and it doesn't appear that I can change it now. If I could though, it wouldn't be an excuse to harass new members intending to participate.

You're right that only people who intend to write should vote though, so hopefully we have this many with that intent. I'm actually the one who changed their vote to the Dementors one, just before you posted to mention it. I had an idea for it, so I went from Ghosts -> Dementors, though I could probably shift either into working.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021