1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Computer Diagnosis Assistance PLZ

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Ched, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Here are the parts (purchased 2017/2018 but for reasons we won’t examine not put together until 2020):
    • Ryzen 1600X
    • MSI Krait Gaming Mobo x370
    • TridentZ 3200 DDR4 RAM
    • Asus ROG 1070 Ti
    • Corsair Obsidian 450D case
    • Hyper T2 cooler
    • M2 hard drive w/Win10 Ed
    • Extra SSD
    • 750w modular platinum PSU
    About a month ago (after several months of working perfectly) the computer just cut off and wouldn’t come back on.

I was in the middle of finals so I mostly ignored it, just periodically trying to turn it back on after trying minor things like reseating RAM. After about a week of not working, it randomly came back on with me not changing anything.

It worked fine. While it was on I tested a handful of things - it was not over heating (confirmed with both software and by physically checking for heat - fwiw I’ve had various computers struggle with overheating and none of them acted like this one.

The computer was on for more than a day. I set it up to do a memory check next time I restarted it. It crashed later while nothing was running except one instance of Word and Discord.

The memory check ran when I turned it back on, found nothing, then didn’t finish booting and went back to never coming on.

I haven’t been able to get it back on.

The light on the video card comes on but doesn’t change from red to the set color of green-white. The caps lock key, etc. are stuck ‘on.’

I’ve tried reseating the RAM. I tried doing a PSU test I found online and that seems to work. Would the lights and mem check have worked if this was the mobo?

I’m just at a loss. Anyone have ideas?

There aren’t really many computer repair options here and I’d prefer to fix it myself, but I’ve lost my passion for building computers and it just seems a massive chore.

2. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

3. Ched

I bought the mobo before most of those reviews because I trusted the brand but that figures, ugh.

I don’t know anything about changing a mobo battery. I can change the motherboard but honestly I’d probably sell the computer parts and buy a fresh machine from a custom shop at this point if I have to do that. I used to build because I couldn’t afford anything decent if I didn’t.

I’ll look into how to change the battery. Thanks

4. draykfyre

draykfyre Second Year DLP Supporter

I've had a system suddenly appear dead for no reason before until I cleared the CMOS as a last resort. Looks like there's a jumper on your motherboard to do that, although removing the battery on the motherboard for a few minutes might do it too.

5. Ched

@wordhammer @draykfyre - I reset the CMOS/mobo battery and it came on! Time will tell if it stays on this time, but I'm hopeful. At least I can get a few things off the computer.

I did lose the last rewrite of my comp entry though, which was about 500 words I'd redone, since the auto-save didn't catch it (I was in the middle of writing when the initial crash occurred).

And now my computer-tips-repertoire is one step larger.

6. Ched

Well this started up again exactly the same. Resetting the battery didn’t work this go.

I’m not sure what to do other than try replacing the mobo but that’s just so awful to do. Hate reseating CPUs too.

Any other ideas apart from buying a new one? Hah.

7. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

Reset your cmos again, either via reset headers or just taking out the battery for a bit, while the pc is disconnected from power. Once you did that, it should boot again. Once it's booting, *don't* set the XMP/DOCP profile for the RAM, bc this is prob an unstable mem/IF overclock, start windows and look if you got WHEA errors in the event viewer. If you do, it probably was the mem overclock, tho it could also be a CPU overclock.

If you haven't yet, go grab the latest BIOS and install it, and after that you can try again. If you want to be more on the safe side then don't clock your RAM to 3200 again, but try 3000 or 2933 or something along those lines. Granted, I'm not *100%* sure that it's a memory/IF overclock doing this, but I had a very similar thing happen and it was the memory (tho granted that was with Ryzen 5000).

You could also just let the RAM run at its default 2133 speed for a while and see if you got problems then, if yes it's def gonna be something else. In either case do the BIOS update first.

8. Ched

I’m not over clocking though? The RAM has always been running at its default.

Will try a lot of that - thanks. Reset got it going again but clearly there’s an underlying issue.

9. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

With overclocking I just mean enabling the XMP/DOCP profile for the RAM (so that it runs at the advertised 3200 speed), which pretty much already counts as RAM overclocking. Now if you never had XMP/DOCP enabled (may be enabled by default) then ye I'd also say it's prob the mobo having some issues. Still worth trying the BIOS update, especially if you never updated it before, since there was a lot of stability improvements over the years.

10. Ched

BIOS was updated in January this year but I’ll double check it and how I have the RAM set up. Thanks again

11. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Well now I'm invested in the mystery.