1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Game recommendations - top tier single player titles?

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Alistair, Nov 17, 2021.

1. Alistair

Alistair Seventh Year

I've recently bit the bullet and replaced my aging laptop with something a bit more modern, which means that for the first time since 2016 or so, gaming is a viable proposition.

That being the case, I'm looking for some recommendations for really good single player titles to enjoy.

The ask is for immersive open world story modes, preferably with impressive graphics to stretch the legs of the new system. Multi-player I can take or leave, and I'm flexible on the genre.

So far, I've got The Witcher III, RDR2 and Skyrim on my list, but I'm open to other ideas.

What would people suggest?

Thanks!

2. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hmmm.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 was quite good, in the style of top down turn based DnD. Hades was a great hack and slash roguelike. Kingdom Come: Deliverance really scratched that realism itch, with a cool story and great world on top. Fallen Order hit the nail for the Star Wars fans with some cool lightsaber combat. Wasteland 3 has a wealth of content to go through with really interesting content; it's another top down turn based but closer to X-Com than DnD style.

Div and Wasteland can be played coop, but are still the same game solo.

3. Mr. Mixed Bag

Mr. Mixed Bag Seventh Year

I'd cast a vote behind Divinity: Original Sin 2. As far as immersion I found it to be off the charts, great characters and story. It won't exactly be challenging RDR2 in the graphics department, but it's certainly still solid to look at.

A lot of people I know played and enjoyed Dragon Age: Inquisition, which would also meet your criteria. I can't really give it a sales pitch though, because I've never played it myself.

I feel obligated to recommend Fallout 4 while I'm at it, though you should probably take that with a grain of salt. I had an absolute blast playing it and it's one of my all-time favorites, but most people's responses seem to range from meh to outright negative.

4. Alistair

Alistair Seventh Year

Yup, I have played Skyrim before, but only on Playstation, so does it really count? I reckon there's enough content there to withstand a replay anyway, especially after this long.

Fallen Order looks like a good shout, as does Wasteland actually.

5. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Have you played the Playstation titles? Generally can't go wrong there. Both Horizon and God of War are on PC now. If you like the ultimate checkbox open world game, I really like Assasin's Creed Odyssey too.

I just bought a new PC too and am playing Cyberpunk 2077. Without RTX turned on I'm getting a flawless experience with no bugs, and I'm enjoying that too.

6. crimson sun06

crimson sun06 Order Member

I'm surprised noone is talking about Doom(2016) and Doom Eternal here.

7. Gengar

High Score:
    Reread the request

8. Simplicity

Simplicity Third Year

Maybe not quite massive open world, but NieR Automata and the NieR Replicant remake are pretty fun story based single player games.

Definitely seconding the recommendation for Divinity Original Sin 2 which, if you can play it with friends, is pretty much like doing a DnD campaign.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is still pretty enjoyable if you enjoy that kind of game, and Outer Worlds is honestly pretty decent from the few hours I've put into it.

9. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I think the only thing I can suggest strictly in line with the request is Horizon Zero Dawn, but I'd also recommend Control - not open world, but definitely fits the bill in other respects.

10. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I loved Divinity 2 but preferred it as co-op. Played both modes a lot though. Won't stretch the graphics too much but I liked it.

Bastion is 10/10 but you don't need a new machine for that, and it's not open world, but shit it was fun imo. Use a controller.

11. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Do yourself a massive favor and grab Subnautica. When you enjoy that, grab its expansion.

12. Gengar

High Score:
    That's interesting. I hated DOS2 coop. I always felt either rushed or slowed down, unable to experience the game as the pace I wanted.

13. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Mass Effect Remaster. Outer Worlds. Outer Wilds.

Less open world, but Hades, Factorio, and Dyson Sphere project are all fun, but not necessarily system taxing

Also, I know I'd probably get crucified for even suggesting it, but if you have a good computer, Cyberpunk can be a lot of fun

14. Alistair

Alistair Seventh Year

Is Cyberpunk still buggy, or is that all resolved now?

I think I've got a reasonably good system and I did enjoy Deus Ex back in the day, so if it'll run reliably, I'm definitely interested.

15. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    God of War is coming to the PC in January, so grab that for sure when it does.

16. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

It's not all fixed, but the vast majority of severe problems have been ironed out by now. There's still some minor technical issues, last I saw, but nothing game breaking. If you like that style of immersive sim, it's definitely worth checking out.

As for other recs not already mentioned in here, I'd also put forward the new Guardians of the Galaxy game. It's a very solid RPG/adventure game, and if you like the Guardians of the Galaxy movies, you'll almost certainly like the game.

17. Gengar

High Score:
    I'm playing cyberpunk now. I'm 60 hours in and the only bugs I've seen are weird npc behaviour issues.

And those are kinda rare

18. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

It's like a relationship. Communication is key. I played 4p coop with a group I've been doing 4p with for 5ish years (they did annoy me a little because no one wanted to interrupt anyone else) and 2p coop with my best friend.

Strangers or casual acquaintances would have been more annoying.

19. Gengar

High Score:
    Guess we now all know why I'm single

20. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ME trilogy isn't open world. Singleplayer has typical tunnel maps, from point A to point B.

Reportedly CP is still a piece of shit.