1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

System spec thread

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Midknight, Nov 14, 2005.

1. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

I would up the ram speed to 3200mhz (minimal cost increase), and go with a much bigger hard drive. You can get a WD 4tb for about $150 on Amazon, and you'll be glad you did when you don't have to juggle space to install a new game. Other than that, excellent choices (assuming you can find a 3080). The parts I've linked are examples only, make sure whatever you do get works with your setup.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  2. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Except for no SSD? Seriously, get an SSD.

3. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

After your computer boots up and is shittin' and gettin' 2 seconds after you press the power button, you can't go back to an old optical drive. It'd be like using a fuckin' abacus.

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

SSD is worth it. Otherwise I'm a bit out of date. Built mine a few years ago with a Ryzen5 and a 1070Ti I somehow managed to snag. Only change since is adding a 1TB SSD to go with the smaller NVME I have the OS on.

5. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

I've also got a 512GB SSD which I'll have the OS installed on, I just popped the main components here.

I do appreciate the support for keeping my machine from shitting itself.

Yeah, getting a 3080 is a bit of a wait list but I'm prepared for it, it means I'll have a rig that can do all the things I need it to for a good while.

Plus I can't wait to see Hitman's shiny bald head on PC.

6. Knightwing

Knightwing First Year

I just built a new rig, specs are:
    Ryzen 9 5950x
    ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
    Corsair H150i White
    Trident Z Royal 128 GB
    ROG Strix 3090 OC (White Edition)
    Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
    Seagate Barracuda 6TB x2
    Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic White
    ROG Thor 1200w PSU
    and of course a crapload of RGB
    PCPartPicker Link: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sH9T9N
    Thoughts?
    I am upgrading from an AMD Phenom II x4 950 Black Edition with a GTX 1060, so this is a HUGE upgrade for me. It's also nice to move away from an antec case from 2009.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  7. Ched

I used a x4 965 for AGES (nearly 10 years). Only upgraded recently myself after an aborted attempt a couple years ago.

8. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

So that's a pretty sick rig alright, gratz on the upgrade, especially coming from your old build. What are you doing with it? For pure gaming it seems overkill (in almost every metric lol). I also think that a 3090 is super wasted on a 1080p monitor. With your 360mhz monitor, I suspect you're going for shooters of some kind (or something that necessitates fast reactions), but I'd think about switching one of those monitors to a 4k one with 120hz if you occasionally also dabble in more scenic games. 4k@120 are becoming more and more available, and it just kind of hurts to see a 3090 work 1080p.

Don't know about the PSU. 1200w seems over the top, even for a 3090 build. I'm running a 3080/3600 with 750w, so I doubt that config needs 450w extra headroom, but I guess it's future proofing. As for the motherboard, are you planning on doing oc's of some kind?

Honestly, it all boils down to what you're doing with it. Also, post some pics, dude. A rig like that needs to be showcased haha.

9. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If I were to build a PC today, on a realistic basis:

Core Components - £1,498

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - £270
    ASUS TUF GAMING B550M-E WIFI mATX - £140
    CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO SL 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200Mhz White - £172
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - £740
    Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB M.2 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD - £176

Case, PSU, Cooling - £515

Corsair Crystal Series 280X RGB Tempered Glass Micro ATX Case — White - £180
    Corsair RMx Series White RM750x Power supply - £100
    iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler — White - £150
    2x iCUE ML120 RGB ELITE Premium 120mm PWM Magnetic Levitation Fan — White - £85

Software - £95

Windows 11 - £95

TOTAL: £2,108

Fuck me that's a lot of money.

Looked on ChillBlast and configured a PC with the exact same components. Comes out as £2,126. So for the price difference of £18 you would get a 5 year warranty and someone else doing all the work of putting the system together (including premium cable management).

Would come out looking something like this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  10. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Is this Britain doing Brexit things or is this actually the cost of a new basic gaming PC these days? The price for that basic graphics card is insane. I take it that's due to crypto mining?

11. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Well components have always been more expensive in the UK than in the US, so that is an element, but the biggest cause of the absurd price is the global shortage of GPUs.

That and all the RGB.

12. MonkeyEpoxy

We're in a microship and semiconductor shortage rn. That's actually pretty reasonable for a 3060TI right now. Crypto mining doesn't help.

The Radeon RX 6600 XT isn't a bad downgrade if you can get it for cheaper.

13. MonkeyEpoxy

For people who are okay with a gaming laptop vs a desktop, this really is the time to go for it, IMO.

Not to hawk product, but the Legion Y540 is one of the best machines I've owned. It does, however, have a pretty critical 2 year flaw - they cheaper out on the power jack (cheap materials plus the jack being very near the heat vents = ungood), and it requires soldering skill to replace. I still recommend it: either with a warranty or physical tech knowledge. It's a beautiful machine.

Mine has a 1660TI. Newest models have a 2060TI

14. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I just bought a new PC in Australia, cost me almost $5000. Probably not the best time to upgrade....

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - $629
    • Gigabyte B550 Vision MB - $399
    • Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070TI - $1999
    • Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB - $259
    • Samsung 1TB SSD Evo Plus - $209
    • 2TB Seagate - $89
    • EVGA 750W Modular Power Supply - $179

• NZXT H510 Elite Matt White case - $269
    • NZXT Kraken Liquid CPU Cooler - $219
    • 2x NZXT 120mm RGB case fans - $96

• Windows 10 - $189

• Assembly - $250 (I'd spent so much at this point, I just wanted to pick it up and have it be ready to go, lol...)
    I plan on finally getting an ultrawide, and I didn't think my PC from 2016 would cut it (Odyssey G9).

signal-2022-01-15-072116_001.jpeg
    [​IMG]

15. Alistair

Alistair Seventh Year

I only have a laptop due to lack of space and a desire to use one computer for general messing around as well.

It's an 2021 HP Omen 17.

Intel Core i9-11900H
    32GB of 3200MHz DDR4 Ram
    RTX 3080
    2x 1TB SSDs

All running on a 330W power supply. Good luck getting any battery life though, with discrete graphics running and some light gaming mine is done in less than 2 hours. 6 or so hours of general use is possible on integrated at least.

You get a lot more performance for the same money with a desktop obviously, but at least you can actually get laptop graphics cards and it's still more than sufficient for my gaming needs.

16. Gengar

High Score:
    Oh and btw, if you're like me and really like clicky mechanical keyboards, @Jon put me on the Box White key switches. I bought the 'Ducky One 2 RGB Black Mechanical Keyboard Kailh BOX White,' and it's honestly a dream to use.

If you like clicky keyboards.

Which I very much do.

Don't be that guy and get it if you work in an office though lmao.

17. Ched

I like Cherry mx browns or clears - I want that tactile bump but please not the overly loud click from the Blues

18. Gengar

High Score:
    lmao that shit is like crack to me. I love it.

19. Skeletaure

High Score:
    To my eternal sadness, I ended up prioritising performance and convenience over RGB. Here's what I have ordered:

Case: CORSAIR 4000D AIRFLOW TEMPERED GLASS GAMING CASE
    Processor: Intel Core i5 10-Core Processor i5-12600KF (3.7GHz) 20MB Cache
    Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING B660-PLUS WIFI D4
    RAM: 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
    Graphics Card: 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 Ti - HDMI, DP, LHR
    M.2 SSD Drive: 1TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 5000MB/R, 4400MB/W)
    Power Supply: CORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
    Processor Cooling: Corsair H100x Hydro Series
    Extra Case Fans: 2x 120mm Thermaltake TOUGHFAN 12 Case Fans

Came to £1,690.00 in total. Not bad for an Intel 12th gen system. If I'd gone for the same build but based around an AMD Ryzen 5600X it would have come to £1,657. For the price difference of £33, that processor upgrade is a no-brainer.

It's not going to be blazing fast but it's still going to be fairly top end - the RTX 3060 Ti outperforms the RTX 2080 Super on most metrics. So a massive step up from my previous PC which was a Core i5 4690K with 8GB DDR2 RAM and a Radeon R7 260X.

I ended up going for an order from a custom PC builder rather than doing it myself, as I had done for my last 3 PCs. Part of that is convenience. Part of it is that building it yourself just doesn't save money anymore. PC Part Picker says it would cost £1737.61 if I had bought the parts myself, more than I paid to have someone else make it (and give a warranty).

I just hope that the AIO cooler doesn't interfere with the RAM. Space is fairly tight in that case for a radiator and fans at the top and, depending on the MOBO and the height of the RAM sticks, they can be incompatible. We shall see.

Incidentally, I figured out how all these custom PC builders make their money. I was a bit confused as to how they could sell PCs so close to the component cost and still make money after accounting for staff (including customer service etc).

But I now see where their profit comes from: people who choose to buy on finance.

[​IMG]

Big oof there. If you buy on finance, you end up paying another 55% of the total system cost in interest.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  20. Ched

Which custom builder did you go with? I'll probably do the same next time, instead of building myself again (though we likely have different options to choose from).