1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DLP Writing Competition
    Topic is EITHER Hogwarts Ghosts OR Duelling!
    Click here for more Guest!
    Due Date is June 20th!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey everyone!

Please join us in welcoming @Irene to the staff team as a moderator for the Politics forum. Please consider her the first contact for any issues that arise in that section for the foreseeable future. Show her verdicts the same deference you show the current members of staff.

Please greet your new overlord here.

Thanks. -Jon

System spec thread

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Midknight, Nov 14, 2005.

1. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

I would up the ram speed to 3200mhz (minimal cost increase), and go with a much bigger hard drive. You can get a WD 4tb for about $150 on Amazon, and you'll be glad you did when you don't have to juggle space to install a new game. Other than that, excellent choices (assuming you can find a 3080). The parts I've linked are examples only, make sure whatever you do get works with your setup.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  2. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Except for no SSD? Seriously, get an SSD.

3. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy Totally Sirius DLP Supporter

After your computer boots up and is shittin' and gettin' 2 seconds after you press the power button, you can't go back to an old optical drive. It'd be like using a fuckin' abacus.

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter

SSD is worth it. Otherwise I'm a bit out of date. Built mine a few years ago with a Ryzen5 and a 1070Ti I somehow managed to snag. Only change since is adding a 1TB SSD to go with the smaller NVME I have the OS on.

5. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

I've also got a 512GB SSD which I'll have the OS installed on, I just popped the main components here.

I do appreciate the support for keeping my machine from shitting itself.

Yeah, getting a 3080 is a bit of a wait list but I'm prepared for it, it means I'll have a rig that can do all the things I need it to for a good while.

Plus I can't wait to see Hitman's shiny bald head on PC.

6. Knightwing

Knightwing First Year

I just built a new rig, specs are:
    Ryzen 9 5950x
    ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
    Corsair H150i White
    Trident Z Royal 128 GB
    ROG Strix 3090 OC (White Edition)
    Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
    Seagate Barracuda 6TB x2
    Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic White
    ROG Thor 1200w PSU
    and of course a crapload of RGB
    PCPartPicker Link: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sH9T9N
    Thoughts?
    I am upgrading from an AMD Phenom II x4 950 Black Edition with a GTX 1060, so this is a HUGE upgrade for me. It's also nice to move away from an antec case from 2009.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  7. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter

I used a x4 965 for AGES (nearly 10 years). Only upgraded recently myself after an aborted attempt a couple years ago.

8. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

So that's a pretty sick rig alright, gratz on the upgrade, especially coming from your old build. What are you doing with it? For pure gaming it seems overkill (in almost every metric lol). I also think that a 3090 is super wasted on a 1080p monitor. With your 360mhz monitor, I suspect you're going for shooters of some kind (or something that necessitates fast reactions), but I'd think about switching one of those monitors to a 4k one with 120hz if you occasionally also dabble in more scenic games. 4k@120 are becoming more and more available, and it just kind of hurts to see a 3090 work 1080p.

Don't know about the PSU. 1200w seems over the top, even for a 3090 build. I'm running a 3080/3600 with 750w, so I doubt that config needs 450w extra headroom, but I guess it's future proofing. As for the motherboard, are you planning on doing oc's of some kind?

Honestly, it all boils down to what you're doing with it. Also, post some pics, dude. A rig like that needs to be showcased haha.