1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What's with fantasy authors never finishing their series?

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Alexx of Arabia, Jan 28, 2022.

1. Alexx of Arabia

Alexx of Arabia Streetshitter

It's either waiting endlessly for the next book, or they just keep pumping out new ones with no end in sight. There are a few series out there that I would love to get into, but they have way to many novels for me to finish or I just can't chance the writer getting writer's block.

2. FitzDizzyspells

FitzDizzyspells Seventh Year DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I think it's because the author either has too much money or not enough.

3. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's because they either have too many plans or not enough.

4. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Endings are hard.

5. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I mean...does it happen that often? I can certainly think of some examples, but it's not like there's a shortage of complete series either.

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I personally feel that there is a shortage of complete series (not trilogies, but series longer than 3 books) with well thought out endings. I made an entire thread trying to find examples.

https://forums.darklordpotter.net/t...s-or-500k-with-a-satisfying-conclusion.40121/

There was a lot of misunderstandings in that thread, where people thought I was looking for good series or ones that I wanted as recommendations to read. So most of the comments reflect something other than what I was looking for.

I just wanted to find complete series with endings that tied things off - even if the series itself was shit or in some random genre I don't like. I did get a few suggestions though.

IMO there's not that many, not really.

7. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

I think a lot of the time authors just get burned out on whatever fantasy world/story they're writing in. After a while, the passion sort of runs out and what you're left with is just work. Then, if you're in a position like George R.R. Martin, I'm sure there's a lot of temptation to just say "Fuck it, I'm already rich and famous, so why bother slogging through the rest of this?"

8. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fantasy authors do finish their series. All the time. More often than not, by a sizeable margin. There have been a few big names recently who've failed to deliver, but these - Rothfuss, Lynch, GRRM - are the exception and not the rule.

They very often will go on to write sequel series in the same world, but that's not the same as leaving the third book in a trilogy missing.

9. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

What are some series (more than 3 books) that tied things off well with the ending? Hasn't got to be a good series, hasn't got to be Fantasy/SciFi. Just a long series (again more than a trilogy) that ended in a satisfying/complete manner? ...again, even if the series itself was meh?

I didn't find HP / Percy Jackson / Dark Tower / Ender's Stuff to be very satisfying in terms of tying things off for a satisfying ending, even if I liked some of those (like HP) in general.

10. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

I dunno, compared to almost all fanfic authors, published authors mostly get stuff done.

11. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Without wishing to be overly pedantic (on DLP? Perish the thought!) there's a difference between a series not sticking the landing at the end, and a series not finishing at all, for whatever reason.

Narnia, Harry Potter, The Dark is Rising, two Malazan series, Codex Alera, the Belgariad, Earthsea, Book of the New Sun...all complete series, four books minimum, all gathered from a quick look at my shelves and a couple of minutes thought. I'm sure there are others - and personally, I'd also include trilogies, but I'll stick with your definition for now.

12. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

That's a pretty low bar you're setting. 90% of published authors could fail to finish their series and they would still be doing better than fanfic authors on average.

13. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

It seems very unfair and not really logical to include series with "bad" endings in a discussion about a supposed problem of fantasy series not being completed in a reasonable timeframe. As others said writing a satisfactory ending is hard and I would argue that with a long series a lot of readers develop their own ideas and interpretations of the story and characters which make accomplishing that even harder.

And I really don't see much evidence of there being a huge problem with unfinished or horrendously slow updating series in the fantasy/sci-fi genre. Sure there are some big names that have had significant delays if not cancellation but the vast majority of series get finished/continued within a reasonable time-frame. And from my experience a lot of the cancellation/delays are either caused by lack of readers making it uneconomic to continue writing a series or at least very hard to get published or because the author suffers from mental health issues which is just bad luck (and maybe a sign of our times and the profession).

And while you appear to view long series as inherently negative I personally am of the opposite opinion and prefer long books and series as that means I have more content to consume/read and thus a chance to spend more than a single evening or two enmeshed in the world and its characters.