1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter’s quidditch legacy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AgentSatan, Sep 17, 2023.

1. AgentSatan

AgentSatan Third Year

Dude had a firebolt too and was an absolute choker in the clutch. Could he have got it done with hufflepuff? Life’s different without Katie bell and Oliver Wood as your teammates. Absolute system wizard. Christian pulisic of hogwarts quidditch. Cedric’s my goat.
    IMG_7877.jpeg IMG_7878.jpeg IMG_7879.jpeg IMG_7880.jpeg IMG_7881.jpeg IMG_7882.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2023
  2. Communist21

Communist21 Muggle

He still would have had the same skills, and probably still would have been pushed hard if he was in hufflepuff.

3. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

it is kinda fucking goofy that the Hogwarts (+pro teams) don't have standardized brooms.

4. Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid Professor

That's a bit like saying it's silly Formula 1 doesn't have standardized cars. The designing and using the best broom seems to be a large part of Quidditch as a sport. I wouldn't be surprised if major broom manufactures sponsor professorial teams and either provide or subsidise their latest model brooms as a form of advertisement in a similar way to car manufactures in F1.

That all said, I suspect there are rules and regulations about what makes a Quidditch legal broomstick, so you can't turn up in just anything that flies. But Quidditch seems to be one of the big drivers in broom advancement.

5. AgentSatan

AgentSatan Third Year

On a more serious note, I think his legacy is more defined by his absences than his generational talent. Gryffindor won the quidditch cup in year 3, 5, and 6. Due to either injury, dementor, or politics he didn’t play enough to win the other years. Even in year 5, he doesn’t play the last game; Ginny ends up winning the cup and catching the snitch.

That’s my core issue with putting him up there as the hogwarts quidditch goat. The gryffindor squad, until year 6, was so talented that they could’ve won with any decent seeker. The other issue that year 5 displayed was that Harry needed to shut up and fly so badly. He prioritized politics over quidditch and it harmed his legacy badly. Sometimes availability is the best ability.

Also regarding the broom stuff. I think the f1 example is fine, but, to me, it’s more like one team being able to play with a lighter American football on offense. It would be way easier to score and would be very clearly unfair. The text makes it pretty clear that some brooms are better than others; the barrier is money not ingenuity like in f1.

That brings me to the actual hogwarts quidditch goat. It’s Charlie Weasley. The hp wiki says he “helped win the quidditch cup many times” and Wood says he could’ve played for the English national team. He got by on his cleansweep and actually played unlike Harry. Ultimately, Harry did win a cup as a captain with a less talented squad, but he falls short of being the goat. I think my original comparison was unfair. He’s far more like a Neymar rather than a Pulisic.

can’t believe I just wrote this so embarrassing

Last edited: Oct 2, 2023
  6. yargle

yargle Professor

Full fairness to Harry, the 2nd year Quidditch Cup was canceled right at the end and 4th year was canceled for the Triwizard Tournament.

7. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

its goofy that the wizarding world somehow even has the population to sustain a bunch of pro teams to begin with.

8. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm sure I've seen a post from Taure somewhere breaking down the percentage of Hogwarts graduates that have to be playing quidditch professionally... Can't remember where, but it rings a bell.

To do bad napkin math myself...
    Minimum of 91 players (13*7), plus a manager for each team, plus a single referee, two linesmen, and a single announcer gives us 108 people professionally employed.
    Krum played for Bulgaria in GoF at "just recently 18", and had retired (then came out) by 38 (source). So has a 20 year term at most.
    Ludo Bagman was born in the 1960s (source ), and wasn't playing in 1994, so had retired by 34 at the latest, so 20 year term looks close enough

If that's standard, we're looking at maybe 5 people a year being recruited into the British and Irish league? And that's if they have zero support staff (although they probably have more than a 20 year term).

Hogwarts fields 4 teams of 7 players (28), and one announcer (29); spread across six years... So basically 30/6, or five people per year. Taking Harry into consideration, we're still looking at 4.14 graduates a year to replace 5.4 from the league.

So if you get into a Hogwarts quidditch team, you get to play professionally..