1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Mirror of Maybe by Midnight Blue - M

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Dabien, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Dabien

Dabien Squib

Title: The Mirror of Maybe
    Author: Midnight Blue
    Rating: M
    Genre: General
    DLP Category: Time Travel
    Pairing: HP/SS Slash
    Summary: Harry Potter is pulled into a mirror Minister Fudge brought to Hogwarts, trapping him in an alternate universe for 13 years. Whilst there he becomes a War Mage, then he is sent back to his 15 year old body.
    (Summary was written by me as I couldn't find an adequate summary on site, so don't judge it by this.)
    Link: http://www.greyblue.net/MidnightBlue/story.php?storyid=2

This story IS slash, but is also extremely well written. The M rating is due to one non-explicit sex scene in chapter 16. I know its probably pointless posting this here, but its only fair it gets a review, and if its deleted in disgust after getting 1 star, so be it. Try the first chapter at least.

2. yankee

yankee Squib

:confused:

I tried reading the first chapter, but couldn't finish it. 0/5

The story seems to be well written enough, with adequate grammar usage and proper spelling, but there is no way in hell that I can overlook the content.

You said in your introduction thread that you dislike Harry/Ginny pairings? Imagine that this passage from the story included Ginny instead of Snape:

WHAT THE FUCK!?!?!?! The first thing he thinks of after having been catapulted between dimensions is how he can convince Snape to bone him again?

Another example of Harry's interior monologue:

This degree of fluffiness is detested by people of this community, and not for the reason that it is the gay. It's just...weak. People hate Harry/Ginny fanfics because they often read like this does. I just threw up a little in my mouth.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  3. Dabien

Dabien Squib

I'd never have described this story as Fluffy. for the most part the relationship is ignored, with a lot more focus on the story. If this isn't your cup of tea, then so be it, but rating it badly just on the grounds of it being slash seems wrong to me.

4. yankee

yankee Squib

Please don't misunderstand me. I'd hate for you to get the impression that I rated the the story badly because the pairing was between two gay people. I rated the story badly because the story itself was gay.

5. Dabien

Dabien Squib

If thats how you feel, then I won't try to change your mind. Hopefully other people will give it more of a chance.

6. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

It is about a three star fic.

I'm gay, so don't moan at me about dislikeing it because it's slash.

Seriously my chap, you should wait a while before posting slash fics in the Review section. Not that you aren't aloud to, but it's best to play it safe until you're a relitivley established member of the community.

7. Dabien

Dabien Squib

If I'm going to start posting, I figure I should start with a bang. I won't just jump on anyone who criticizes this fic with 'HOMYGAWSH! HOMOBASHER!', I just don't want people rating it badly purely on those grounds. I'm not keen on slash myself, but this is the one story I enjoy which features buttsecks!Harry. Anyone who just plain just doesn't like the story because of how its written, flame it to hell. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

8. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

I tried posting a Harry/Ginny fic here, and I'm an Auror. Seriously, There's no way you're doing yourself any favors here. You need to establish yourself first beforey ou try to go against the grain at all.

9. Kardikek

Kardikek Groundskeeper

Established or not, what the majority of the dlp community feels is a crap fic is what the majority of the dlp community feels is a crap fic. Being respected merely means your views match what the majority of the community feels.

10. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Sigh. This won't end well. I've enjoyed this fic for a while, and I think Midnight Blue's still claiming this hasn't been abandoned, but it's been a while since I last checked.

I can count on one hand the number of Harry-slash fics that I can stomach. When it's someone other than Harry, I've never cared, but with Harry, it just almost always turned him into a character that didn't interest me. Ryanaven's Gaining Momentum series I liked in spite of the Harry/redeemed!Draco. Less-than-lucid's Fallen is good too and appeared headed towards Harry/Bill Weasley I think. Lisa Roquin's Hogwarts Apprentices had some real nice bits despite the annoyingly cliched hurt/comfort aspects pushing towards Harry/Seamus. And this fic which is Harry/Snivellus.

It even took a re-read before I remembered the somewhat graphic 'dry hump meets pain of the Dark Mark into sticky release' sex scene.

Lots of ingenious ideas in this fic. But I can't see it making it to the library. Harry's frequent thoughts about how sexy/sweet/endearing/snarky Snivellus is, are just too much for many DLPers. This isn't a romance fic or anything, but it's not like slight slash, barely mentioned in the background. It's like the floppy penis slapping you in the face at the men's strip club. You can only look the other way for so long before you need to leave.

But that's me. I'd give it 4/5. There aren't a lot of truly creative super!Harry fics out there, and War Mage Ash is a pretty nifty name too.

11. Dabien

Dabien Squib

With the general DLP population, I don't think I ever held high ideas about it making it into the library. The trash-bin maybe. The main reason I posted this, is it was something I enjoyed, and if only a few people who haven't read this before enjoy it, then I suppose its purpose is done. Plus the library is a list of all the fiction thats enjoyed, and whatever doesn't make it in is listed so it wont be submitted again, so at the very least this fic has had its chance, and its been noted as 'Not welcome here'. It wont be submitted again and the For Review section has done its job.

12. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't like slash much, just because it ruins a character, not for the fact that gayness seems wrong to me.

This story is actually a decent read, with good ideas, but Harry's character is pulled drastically away from the main point of the story by his hot, gay love for Snivellus. I couldn't handle some parts of his character because of it. If you can't stomach slash, especially this sausage fest kind that this is, then don't read. If you can, even a little, it is a great Super!Harry story that might be completed as shocking as that sounds

@Dabien- I'm sorry, man, but pulling out a sausage fest, slash story in your first couple post is like sticking your dick out while a blind shef dices cucumbers. This story is way too fluffy with homosexual orientations and the DLP community is going to, most likely, shit on your face for it.

13. Dabien

Dabien Squib

I could tell it was probably going to go that way from the beginning... Maybe I should have stayed lurking? Ahh well the damage has been done. If I can't take a bit (for a bit, read MAJOR amounts) of abuse from you guys, then I don't deserve to post here in the first place.

In those famous last words: "Oh, I don't wanna die! Oh, please. I don't wanna die! Oh, please. Don't let me burn. Oh, please. Let go of me. Please."

14. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

Slash on DLP? not just any slash but Harry/Snivellus slash? ok so i skimmed through this and well its crap, plain and simple.

""Severus...?" Harry breathed the name out -- raw emotion edging the sound of it. Professor Snape had never before heard his name said in quite that way -- and he couldn't say what strange combination of emotions had caused it."

Seriously what the fuck? Harry goes hardcore powerful and still acts like this? this was only in the first chapter.

im shaking my head in despair knowing that one of us posted this in the review section, i could swear that theres a place for this in the general section under the "awesomely" bad fan fiction!

1/5 because it has lengh and minor original ideas

15. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hmmm...it's OK...but as had been said, increadibly fluffy. All the thoughts about Snape (I considered copying the whole thing into word and using find&replace to change Snape into an OFC) and Harry's sapyness are sickening - I mean, the first spell (other than destroying the mirror) when he returned was a spell to let Hagrid feel how much he loved him. /me pukes.

Aside from that, we have the slash problem, which is best said by Shezza:

Still, it's reasonable, 3/5

16. Teal_Thanatos

Teal_Thanatos First Year

decent grammer and spelling save this from a mark of 0.

1/5
    Bad emotional scenes that completely ruin the story, the pairing, the boring thoughtspeak prevent it from rising higher.

17. Marie M

Marie M Raptured to Hell

I never understood this story.

I mean, I don't have problem with slash, I just don't understand what is unique in this story.

There are lots of 'Harry going back in time and teaching in Hogwards' stories with good grammar and spelling, so, Why do people like this one?

Decent Grammer and spelling and 'Ash the war mage' sounds cool, so 2.7/5.

18. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

*smacks Dabien with a brick*

No.

19. Dabien

Dabien Squib

Ouch... I probably deserved that. Ahh well, crap happens. On a side note, I blame you for taking it from 3 star, to 2 star. Although again, probably deserved.

20. Lorelei of the Sea

Lorelei of the Sea Unspeakable

It hasn't been abandoned. I wrote to her a few weeks ago about a rather brilliant fic that she wrote for another fandom, and she said it was on hold because she was focusing on her HP stuff.