1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Mirror of Maybe by Midnight Blue - M

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Dabien, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Dabien

Dabien Squib

I was hoping it hadn't been abandoned yet. I know the author has rather... sporadic update times, I've waited a year, all but given up and then a new chapter comes out when I least expect it. This story's been slowly going since 2002 anyways, 5 years isn't too long. *vein twitch*

2. Lord Bill

Lord Bill ¯\(º_o)/¯ DLP Supporter

Five stars, just to piss people off.

Yes, but you're also a dick.

3. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Lawl. Yeah, I did, but this is quiet honestly the worst move you'll ever make on DLP.

4. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I didn't rate before, so I raised it back up for you Dabien :)

Just to tell everyone, I'm no slash fan, but I just skip the scenes that do have it because this is a pretty good story.

5. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Wow. That's ... pretty stupid, really. Bill's right.

As for the story, I remember reading it, but I just couldn't get to the end (however far into the story that was). "dry hump meets pain of the Dark Mark into sticky release"? Lol wut?

6. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

User Title = Dependant on Post Count = Not a good measure of a posters worth.

Agrd.

7. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I was going to paste the section in spoiler tags for you, but it's basically the entire first half of chapter 16. It's not too graphic, nor is it too unclear and open to interpretation. It's just barely enough for you to read, process, and then wish you'd never pictured that scene in your head.

But for those curious, this is the only remotely graphic scene I remember in the fic.

8. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Hot breath panted next to his ear and teeth nibbled down one side of his throat before reaching the junction of neck and shoulder. Suddenly those teeth bit down.

Hard.

Severus gasped, arched, and clawed at the Other's back.

9. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

That's nice. I really wanted to think about Snape gasping , arching, and clawing at other's backs. A good way to spend my Friday.

10. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Nah, I had read 'till that part. I guess the 'lol wut' didn't serve to accurately protray my feelings, I wanted to express that that part had finally turned me away from this fic.

Back then, when standards were low ...

11. Dabien

Dabien Squib

Just curious. Did you enjoy the fic up until that part? Or was it more tolerating it for the sake of seeing what the story was about? I know a lot of members were turned away from this because of the Harry inner monologues.

This is just idle curiosity on my part as to whether it was the 'dry hump meets pain of the Dark Mark into sticky release' part that just turned you completely away from it, or whether you'd not really enjoyed it throughout.

12. ValdTheSpanker

ValdTheSpanker Squib

Here's a fic that I never expected to see on DLP. After I read through some of the background on what is generally posted on this site, the idea of a story where Harry's dream is having a naked Snape in the bathtub being in the Review section is surprising.

That being said, this was one of the first lengthy fiction stories I ever read after getting into Harry Potter fandom. At the time I was able to get around the increasingly gayness of the Harry/Snape relationship by focusing on some of the creative aspects and ideas of magic that Midnight came up with. Given the fact that this fic came out about 6 fucking years ago, it was quite inventive (but perhaps that had to do with the fact that I was 12 or 13 at the time and didn't know better) for its day and age. The less you focus on Snape/Harry the better it is, but Midnight makes that next to impossible. As far as I remember I couldn't get past Chapter 16 where two dudes have gay sex so Snape doesn't die from the Dark Mark (or something along those lines).

On creativity alone I'd give this fic a 4/5, but one can't put aside adorable (in Harry's eyes of course)/snarky/(but who the fuck cares because he's greasy as hell)!Snape. I'll have to read through some of it again, but generally speaking it has to go. Get this one off the DLP site; I may remember it fondly for nostalgic reasons, but there's no way in hell that it belongs here. Plus what did I know when I was 13? I distinctly remember that most of my time was taken up by Diablo II.

13. Mrriddler

Mrriddler High Inquisitor

Somewhere high, somewhere low and somewhere in bet
    ***Contains Spoilers*** But I doubt anyone will care.

This story is a definite surprise. Don't know but I felt compelled to come out of the shadows to support nonjon on this. This was possibly one of the greatest fics of the age (slash or not) when ff.net allowed NC17. Yes this story really *IS* that old. I read this long before I even joined DLP in 2005. I was even briefly member of the author's yahoo group. Naturally I quit after I realized what discussions always led to.

Considering this was the time before book 5 and when most cliche didn't even exist, the plot of the story was well written. Introduction and explanation of things like "quicktime," the fight scenes, the war mage organization, the ceremony, and the powder used to test students' fears were very revolutionary back in the days. I guess that's why I braved the gag worthy shipping. Even so, this story was far from being a common fangirl work (though this doesn't mean the author wasn't one). She devoted several scenes to explore the sexuality pov, and made somewhat clear that homosexuality was not the dominate or normal orientation in wizarding society. She used some comparison between it and the "free loving" elf war mages or what not. Yeah that one scene that made me want to smash my head open. Harry rejects advances from a hot female elf to pursue Snape. Made me swear at the author for days, that and the full NC-17 chapter that I didn't dare touch with a ten foot pole as well.

I wouldn't get near stories like this nowdays, because like others said, there are similar stories with similar plots nowdays. No reason to suffer the Harry-Sev fluff. But it was a "great" work years back. Plus, I get to trash slash works written now by saying they weren't up to par with those in past and no one can break down my argument cause it's true. :)

So, Dabien, you are lucky that you are still alive. But your attempt wasn't without merit. If it makes you feel better or less stupid, Mirror of Maybe gets my vote.

4/5 ... well no. Ok, I'll swallow my feelings for this one story since it sucked me into the HP verse for sure if for nothing but to find a comparable story that WASN'T HP/SS or slash.

5/5 or even 6/5 if it was 2-3 years ago. I really thought it was that good. (Surprise those who thought they know me huh? :p)

14. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Fourth Year

I liked this story to a degree, there were some good action scenes, an interesting plot and generally some really intriguing ideas. Hell, even the slash didn't bother me. What did bother me however is the same thing that makes me ignore most romances - it screws with the characterisation of Harry.

It's nothing to do with slash or non slash, it's to do with the fact that whilst fighting a war, dealing with the dead and dying and generally trying to stop himself getting killed all the time, our beloved hero seems to spend more thought process to cuddling up in a sickening manner instead of defeating his opponent.

In my mind that leads to the author ending up shipping not Harry/Character X but Inferius!Harry/Character X.

That said, despite my little rant I could still enjoy the story. A well written super powered Harry with original ideas (especially for the time it was written) gets it a 3.5/5. Would have been higher if not for the lovesick little creature that Harry seems to be.

15. ValdTheSpanker

ValdTheSpanker Squib

Hmm, there's an idea in there that would be fun to play with, even if you didn't mean it as such. I kinda like the idea of zombie!Harry running around trying to eat people.

Definitely not what you were talking about, but I couldn't get the idea out of my head at work today. Which didn't help me at all at work, as I was laughing at the idea of Harry eating Gin Gin when she tried to pick up on him while simultaneously trying to telemarket.

Happy times.

16. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Fourth Year

The idea was semi intentional I have to admit. I was thinking of a fic where Harry resurrects Luna as an inferi for some reason. Would be interesting to see it from Harry's perspective though - inner monologue would be a piece of piss.

17. Dabien

Dabien Squib

That does actually make me feel less stupid, and those things you listed was the reason I posted. This was primarily an exceedingly well written fic, with ideas before its time. So I was an idiot for posting slash, but I still think this was worth the years of abuse I'll no doubt receive.

18. Valandhir

Valandhir Squib

Knowing this is getting me into hot water, let me say this first: I liked the story despite of the pairing. I don't like Snarry. What I liked about the story, is the all the background work the author put in, the magical theory, races, and all that were quite good. The I need some coffee moment, after Harry is returned from the Mirror made me grin. In short: I read and liked the story, despite the pairing. Happens rarely with me.