1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

First, God created the world. Then he created Bioshock.

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Glernaj, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Glernaj

Glernaj Stab Executive DLP Supporter

Some of you may not be aware of Bioshock. For those among you, shame! It's an XBOX 360 game that was released yesterday. The general concensus of the 8 of us crowed into my friend's apartment watching each other play, is that the game is like sex, but better.

To give you an impression of the graphic quality, the game starts off with you in a plane that crashes into the ocean. You know, standard cutscene. You're underwater, you swim to the surface, gasping for air. You break the surface, and sit there, staring at the burning fuel for a bit. Then it suddenly hits you. Holy fuck, I've had control from the instant I broke surface, this isn't a cutscene, all that shit was in engine!

The characterization in this game is out of this world. One of the creepiest moments I've encountered yet was walking around a corner to hear a guy singing "Jesus loves me" only to break off midsong and try to kill me with a pipe wrench.

Also, you have quite possibly the coolest base weapon ever. A pipe wrench. You hit people with it. They fall down. You don't get a gun until a good 15 minutes into the gameplay.

And then there's the aspect of the game I think most DLPers will enjoy. There are enemies called Little Sister's, which are, as the name implies, 5 year old girls. Vash, go get em. This little girls however, have biiiiig ass guards. They hurt. But the important thing is, once you kill the guard, you have two options as to how to deal with the girl. They're labeled Rescue, and Harvest. As near as I can tell, Harvest involves pulling out the little girl's spleen and eating it.

All in all, the game is pure win.

2. InfernoCannon

InfernoCannon Seventh Year

You forgot to mention that BioShock is also on PC, in which the hacking the security bots are easier.

I haven't actually played it, but I noticed it in a Game leaflet-y thing which was listing a bunch of games that Game were going to sell. Then, I read a review which I'll link to you as soon as I find it again.

From what I've read, it is the sickest and most twisted game you'll find. The Splicers (the inhabitants of Miracle City, where you are) are crazy. Evidently, thats true if you get hit with a pipe wrench by somebody who sings "Jesus loves me" and even more so if you get beaten to death in a hosptial with a rake whilst the person said it was a standard procedure. That's from the review I read.

Although, on the Xbox 360, is the mixture of Plasmids and spells as deadly as it is in on the PC? Apparently, your able to fling someone into the ceiling with deadly force using a Plasmid and spell. Though, I think plasmids give you spells so I may be getting confused.

And a final thing. Do the Little Sisters, after you save them and Kill their big guard (aptly called Big Daddies) they climb onto of them and wail for them to get up?

3. Glernaj

Nah, if you Rescue the Little Sister, they run away and climb into the walls.

Plasmids are spells really. New plasmid = New spell. And, I'm not too far into the game, but I haven't found anything to let me throw around anything that's still alive yet. Telekinisis lets you throw around corpes and catch and throw back grenades though. BTW, dead Big Daddy = great human shield.

4. BartucTheBloody

BartucTheBloody Third Year

I haven't decided if I'm going to buy Bioshock or not. I'll definitely rent the game sometime soon and decide then.

About the plane crash and swimming up to the surface. The same thing happened to me in the demo. I was sitting there for a minute wondering why the hell I hadn't moved before I realized I was in control.

5. InfernoCannon

InfernoCannon Seventh Year

Well, I found that review I talked about. The Person--->Ceiling thing may be in the IGN review. PC and Xbox reviews. The IGN review is easy enough to find, but it took me forever to find the site.

And the reason I asked about the Little Sisters is because of this

You moan and moan about games that seem to repeat each other, and then you get hit with some of the most woundrous games. This world is so unfair.

6. sephiroththebrokenangel

sephiroththebrokenangel Fourth Year

Bioshock

Oh man this game is out? I completely spazzed on the release date. Is it as good as the reviews looked? The powers in this looked incredible.

7. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Is it really that good? When I first heard of the Big Daddies and Little Sisters I thought this game was going to be fucking gay. Should I buy this, or Two Worlds?

8. Glernaj

Yes, it's that good. Especially if you take the time to listen to all the audio diaries on the ground. Some really creepy shit stored in those. The Big Daddies and Little Sister's might seem gay, until a Big Daddie rips your face off. Buy Bioshock.

9. The Duke

The Duke Seventh Year

If anybody has ever played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Bioshock, can you tell me the difference in the hardness factor cause I'm enjoying S.T.A.L.K.E.R. as a horror/survival FPS but its really fucking hard, even on normal setting.

10. Glernaj

Bioshock on the normal difficulty isn't that hard, unless you try to take on a big daddy with just a wrench. The shotgun is your friend. The really great thing about it is the story.

11. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

Bioshock is epic. I beat it before it was released, thanks to the wonders of teh interweb.

The Big Daddies are awesome to look at, and very fearsome to fight. What's incredible though is when you take control of them with a certain plasmid and go on rampages with them.

My favorite splicers so far are the crazed surgeons in the morgue. They're fucking creepy as hell, and run around killing other splicers and playing with their bodies. They also hid in cabinets and stuff, which makes for great horror moments. I love frying them in electricity in the flooded areas.

But the best way to kill in this game?

To kill Dr. Steinberg, first I hacked all the medical stations around the area to dispense poison to my enemies. Then I burnt him with the fire plasmid, making him jump into the flooded portion of the room. Then I shocked him, which allowed me to pump a few pounds of lead into him while he was paralyzed, and then watched as he killed himself using the health station.

I used his body as a human shield using telekinesis when I fought the Big Daddy. A note to anyone that cares - because Big Daddies are so heavy, and because the Telekinesis plasmid only uses Eve on the pull, not the carrying, you can effectively use them as a human shield, and then throw them at splicers for near auto-kills easily. Rinse and repeat.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  12. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I'm curious about this. -ponders buying.- It sounds hot.

13. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

God.. this game is so fucking epic. I love it already and Ive only played it a few hours so far.

Ill be back when i can fathom a thought ot write a full review.

14. Anubis

Anubis Seventh Year

Played the demo on my 360, but I have to admit I wasn't all that impressed. Sure the game is good, but it is very very slow. I spent forty minutes-ish playing the demo, then went on to play the Stranglehold demo right after. Whilst Stranglehold left me thinking 'is that is? I want more', Bioshock was more 'boy this is dragging...'.

Now if I am honest I am far more of an RPG person than an FPS fan. But even so, I didn't really see much in the demo to justify the absurdly high reviews its been getting everywhere (any review site that gives any game at all 10/10 is stupid, no such thing as a perfect game. But even those that have given it lower have given greater than 90%).

Yes its graphics were good, yes it has an interesting take on 'magic' in FPS', and yes the story is very good (I read spoilers, sue me :p , and the story is by far the best thing about the game) but gameplay wise? Nothing special that I saw.

As to whether I'll buy it, doubtful. The story is really the only thing tempting me (and boy it IS awesome), and admittedly if it was an RPG I'd have snapped it up before now. But I am just not fond of shooters, and hence the gameplay is more of a put-off than a put-on for me.

Incidentally, I assume that if any of you guys have been playing the PC version you know about the SecuROM stuff that comes with the PC version? Players were crucifying devs on the forum for it when I was reading just after release. If you don't know, you might want to go look it up on the forums, then start looking for SecuROM removal tools.

15. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Bioshock is my new love interest. If I had a girlfriend, I'd leave her for this game.

There is in fact a plasmid to throw enemies into the ceiling, but I didn't like it much. I liked to set the bad guys on fire.

Also, the crossbow defies logic. Why does a crossbow do more damage than a machine gun, shot gun, and grenade launcher? I killed a boss with one hit from one of those.

The little sisters do beg the big daddies to get up, but only until you harvest or rescue them.

Did anyone else accidently blow up the submarine that "Atlas's" family was in?

Now, would you kindly buy this game?.

16. Glernaj

You didn't accidentally blow up the submarine, that's a part of the story. Pay more attention.

And as to setting the enemies on fire, that's nowhere as cool as taking them down with a wrench.

17. Nobody

Nobody Backtraced

Is it possible to play it (easily) with a computer that runs Oblivion well, and more importantly, has no gaming implements but keyboard and mouse? (Is it made for console and PC kind of got the shaft? :p )

18. Spacks

Spacks Order Member DLP Supporter

What's the minimum requirements?

19. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

BIOSHOCK PC SPECIFICATIONS

Operating Systems:
    Windows XP (with Service Pack 2) or
    Windows Vista

Minimum System Requirements:
    CPU: Pentium 4 2.4GHz Single Core processor

System RAM: 1GB

Video Card: Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 128MB RAM (NVIDIA 6600 or better/ATI X1300 or better, excluding ATI X1550).

Sound Card: 100% direct X 9.0c compatible sound card

Hard disc space: 8GB free space

Recommended System Requirements:
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo processor

System RAM: 2GB

Video card:
    DX9: Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512MB RAM (NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT or better)
    DX10: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 or better

Sound Card: Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ series (Optimized for use with Creative Labs EAX ADVANCED HD 4.0 or EAX ADVANCED HD 5.0 compatible sound cards)

Copy and pasted.

20. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My brother's computer, which is fast as hell, lags like crazy whenever he plays Oblivion. If your computer is fast enough to play ES IV with little to no lag, you will be fine playing Bioshock.