1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Revised Categories

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by ParseltonguePhoenix, Jan 10, 2008.

1. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

I may be on my own with this one, but I think it would be a good idea to narrow down the 'categories' a bit. Instead of representing every Harry characterization (okay, slight exaggeration) as a category, go with the broadest (action/adventure, angst, drama, general, independent, romance) definitions and have a notation in each story's description if it's a noir story, or an anti-hero tale.

I think it'd make the categories section less...cluttered. But once again, I could be the only spazz who felt a little claustrophobic upon sight of that section of the page.

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I disagree entirely. The whole point of PC is that it caters for the HP fandom. HP fandom genres are the best thing about PC. If anything, it should be the traditional vague genres (action/adventure, drama etc) that should be removed.

3. hchan1

hchan1 Sixth Year

Agree with Taure. Since it's only one fandom, there's leeway for more specific categories. Really though, who cares about 'em, good fic is good fic.

4. KenderCleric

KenderCleric Lord of Plot Bunnies

Pfft. That makes too much sense.

I vote the categories be revised to cryptic and unhelpful random terms. Make it a challenge for people to find a story; make them work for their enjoyment damn it.

;)

5. FoS

FoS Squib

Maybe add in a Crossover category?

6. Skeletaure

High Score:
    There is a crossover category.

[​IMG]

7. Rumbleroar

Rumbleroar Seventh Year

Diggin' the full screen shot.

8. FoS

FoS Squib

D'oh. I was looking for it too...

On another note, screen shots should be saved as .png files. It's a smaller file size with a better quality than jpg.

9. Skeletaure

High Score:
    .png sometimes don't show up on some browsers/computers. I don't know why, but I've linked people to .pngs before and they haven't been able to see anything.

10. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Ok, so it seemed I was definitely on my own with that idea. Maybe I was wrong to suggest the removal of certain categories, etc., but I still feel as if the page is a bit...clumsy at this point.

Not an insult at all, and I may, once again, be totally alone with this one, but the presentation could be cleaned up a bit.

11. Zyloch

Zyloch Fourth Year

I actually like the current presentation, because it is clean, clear, and doesn't take up much screen space. In any case, I'm sure after everything else is done, there will be different themes from which to choose.

The one stylistic issue I have right now is the search area appearing at the top of every category. It's practical, but I would like it a lot more if it was more unobtrusive. For the future, maybe capture some key combination and open up search as a small window (or have it slide down or something, jQuery is pretty good at that).

12. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If anything about the screen bugs me, it's that the Categories section doesn't stand out enough. It may be because I'm used to ff.net that I like sections to be placed a good bit away from each other, but at the minute it just seems like something you could skip over without noticing (I actually did that first time I came on, took me a moment to find where they were).

Aekiel

13. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Heh, the more categories the better in my opinion.

If I want to read a time-travel story, then dammit, I want to be able to FIND that story fast!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008