1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Nymphadora Tonks and the Liquor of Jacmel by SnorkackCatcher

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by DoubleE, Apr 5, 2008.

1. DoubleE

DoubleE Third Year

Title: Nymphadora Tonks and the Liquor of Jacmel
    Author: SnorkackCatcher
    Rating: PG-13
    Genre: Mystery, Action
    DLP Category: General
    Pairing: OC/OC, OC/NT
    Summary: Summary: It's never plain sailing for a newly-qualified Auror, and especially not for Nymphadora Tonks. Her Metamorphmagus talents are a big career advantage. Her dark wizard relatives certainly aren't. Being thrown in at the deep end on her first case doesn't make things any easier, either. So when Tonks puts her shapeshifting skills to good use investigating the trade in a highly dangerous potion, while simultaneously trying to deal with her family's very Black past history, things quickly get complicated ... [Set during the first half of GoF, plot crosses paths with the books from time to time but mostly runs parallel.]
    Link:
    FA http://www.fictionalley.org/authors/snorkackcatcher/NTATLOJ.html
    FF.NET http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3435122/1/Nymphadora_Tonks_and_the_Liquor_of_Jacmel

I've checked our list of stories posted in the library, the trash bin, and the list of stories not to be posted, and I couldn't find this fic. A well written mystery. I'm thinking 4/5, because even though it is very good, it just seems to lack that certain quality of 5/5 fics.

2. Augurey

Augurey Backtraced

1/5 by default.

EDIT: Yeah, I acted in haste. Still nothing special, but at least it's written well. 3/5

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  3. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Maybe try reading it? There are exceptions to every rule, and I think this might be one of them. 4/5 from what I've read.

4. Cathal

Cathal Sir Nils' Right Hand

I won't read it on general principe. Pairing Tonks with someone other than Harry is a crime, in my eyes.

That said, I won't give it a default 1/5 either. I need to read something before rating it, right Augurey?

5. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

It's worrying that the fic only has 30 reviews and 270k words. Usually fics with that kind of word to review ratio are utter shit, and the 30 reviewers are all 13 year old fangirls and/or people who read absolute shit and think it's the bomb because they've never read any real literature before.

I'll still give it a try though.

6. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    actually Demons, I'm more concerned with the fics that have more reviews than words, as that undoubtedly means Harry/Ginny/Draco with Daddy Snape.

In fact, maybe they should get rid of reviews entirely on ffnet. Sure, it would cut down on the flame fun, but how many fangirls would give up if there weren't thousands of other fan girls to say 'OMG Harry/Draco is hawt!"

7. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

The writing's not that bad. The author just let the potential nonHarrycentric readers slip. The first words are the name of an original character, the closing lines of the chapters aren't that great, I wouldn't read a story with this title even if Nymphadora Tonks was replaced with Harry Potter etcetera.

But how many nonfangirls would give up if there weren't thousands (okay, maybe only hundreds) of reviewers?

The fangirls venting their dark fantasies on the public. They'd be more likely to continue shitting out abominations than actually human writers.

It'd do more harm than good.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  8. Marsupial

Marsupial Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Regardless of the Potter Law violation, that was very well done. It was well written, interesting, and generally correct regarding grammar and spelling, which instantly puts it in the top 10% or so. Beyond that though, its actually a reasonably well-written mystery; I have literally never come across one of those before in fanon. The culprit wasn't immediately apparent, the twists were believable, not every possibility panned out, and the characters were legitimately three dimensional. The only thing keeping it from essential perfection in my book is the lack of Harry; beyond that its exceptional. Grading fairly, its probably somewhere around 4.7/5, but I'm willing to call 5 for proving a decent exception to the Law.