1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Elder Wand plot bunny/device

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Hashasheen, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

this is something that had been bugging me for a while:
    The Elder wand is coveted by every one right? so why not a fic where after the Last Battle, people figure out that Harry has the wand and start getting greedy.

Starting off from the scene in Dumbledore's office when he says he will put it back in the tomb, and Ron becomes the first attacker, demanding the wand. From there he goes on the run, and you have to consider that you have a portion of the wizarding world AND the goblins gunning for him.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  2. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I like the concept. Someone could really do something with Harry working between survival and the attraction of using the Elder Wand, and his determination to break the cycle of it being passed through history.

3. Hashasheen

True, and its a nice way to cull the Weasley flock:
    Ron: greedy
    George: wanting Fred back since he knows that Harry is the master of death.
    Bill: kills him off after he tries to avenge Ron and George
    Percy: ambitious and could see this as his way of making sure he doesnt get sent to Azkaban and still maintain a sense of power.
    Malfoy, Dean, Seamus are all good choices to get greedy, even Luna could go for the Wand in the hopes that it would bring her parents back. not to mention Voldemort loyalists who would want to take his place.

4. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

I don't think it would work as a Harry/Fleur. It feels tacked on. For one, she's married already, so she obviously cares about him, and I'm pretty sure she wouldn't date the guy who killed her husband.

I also don't see the majority of the Weasley clan attacking him for the wand. Ron might try to steal it, but he wouldn't jump Harry trying to get it. At least, not right away.

Other then that, I've been waiting for a fic like this to pop up. Has potential.

5. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

No weasly greed shit should be going on imo. Screams too much cliche. But seriously, why think about this when an entire world is aware of this sudden knowledge. People from the authorities to mob boss to just average joes going after it...the ones who want it anyway.

It would be interesting.

6. Hashasheen

Meh, the Fleur thing i added in was just as an afterthought.
    George would try it if he could get Fred back, and the Weasley family might go to desperate measures if they would get their son back.

7. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Aren't the hallows really obscure legends that only a few people know about, though? I haven't read DH since it came out, but weren't the only ones who knew about them DD, Lovegood, Grindelwald, Voldemort, and the Trio?

I don't really see Ron or Hermione blabbing about the wand (too OOC), so you would have to come up with another plot device.

Wait a minute though, is the secret of the wand revealed during that epic Hogwarts 'duel' between Harry and Voldemort? It's been so long I can't remember.

:(

8. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

Never read the final battle so I can't say for sure whether it'll be realistic to have everyone know about the Elder wand and its effects, but nontheless such a story would have potential, especially if written in the style of something like nonjon's Where in the World is Harry Potter or rorschach blot's Mr. Black series, though with a little less humor. Hope someone takes up the idea.

9. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Doesn't matter how it spreads: everything that happens at Hogwarts becomes big news, fast. But for validity's sake, people probably recognized that his wand was different from his normal one - either from going to school with him or from photos during the TriWiz weighing of the wands. Lovegood could end up publishing a story about it: he was obsessed with the Hallows, and the last time he published a big story about Harry it was true.

Regardless, this would make a an awesome 5 to 10-chapter action/melée story.

10. Hashasheen

So you'll write it? *puppy-dog eyes*

11. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm pretty sure everyone who is pureblood or halfblood would know about the elder wand, didn't Ron know about it at the beginning of DH? He said it was a children's story, so most wizarding children must have heard of it.

12. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

There's a difference between knowing about the Elder Wand because of a children's story, and actually believing in it.

13. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

What do they call that complex where a prisoner begins to see things from their captors point of view? Well anyway either way i suppose you could work that into it in the hopes of building the relationship from there after the death of Bill.

It wouldn't be out of the realms of possibilities that Ron would tell his brothers about the wand and the stone, especially after the fantastic pain the family would be in. And just for reference Demons in the Night, the wand was used by Riddle in the final battle it was how HP was able to win, that no striking the real master bullshit.

14. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Well, besides the fact that Harry did mention the Elder Wand quite loudly in his duel with the Dark Lord, the worst part is that there are actually some fics with Harry and the Elder Wand in them posted on FictionAlley.org. Unfortunately, nearly all of them include more H/G than anyone should be able to tolerate.

It's kind of funny, really, that in my fic 'The Broken River', Harry starts off trying to find a way to hide the Elder Wand in a different point in time so that nobody could find it and use it - makes sense, as he himself said that he didn't want it at the end of DH - but when things start getting tough, he begins to use it and kick a bit of ass.

15. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Stockholm Syndrome. And that went out of style in 'The World Is Not Enough'. I suppose it might work, but she could just as easily use her newfound "love" of Her captor as a ploy to get close enough to betray him...like in Quantum of Solace.

(Why does everything seem to relate to a Bond movie?)

I dunno how different knowing and believing really are in the wizarding world. Their culture is very much built around lore and legend: rare magical gifts, saying someone's name bringing dangerous consequences, seers, etc. I doubt it takes much convincing to make the transition from kid's tale to fact if one decides to do a little fact-finding. All it takes is something like this:

and everyone's foaming at the mouth. According to Luna's dad, there's a cult of believers out there, so who knows what they'd try to do.

16. Hashasheen

Bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. NightFox

NightFox Seventh Year

Really?

While the thought of an Elder-wand based story is plausible, at the very least, it's quite annoying to pull off. Apart from the giant dramatic - and quite unnecessary - prestige at the end of DH, there are relatively few who are, pardon the pun, loony enough to believe that a childhood story could hold real relevance.

As Justblaise referenced, there are a cult of followers who are crazed enough to pursue the Hallows, but even then, the three hallows went for centuries without being discovered until haplessly, they were stumbled upon. One could justifiably argue that the Elder Wand was discovered through purpose, but the Stone happened to be set into Gaunt's ring, and James's old cloak just happened to be an old relic. The cult could, let's say, hunt Harry for his ownership of the wand, perhaps vying with one another to get it. Then, of course, Harry goes on a whirlwind adventure across Europe (Who knows, maybe he'll stop by in France omg!!11!), trekking through jungle and valley to escape and retaliate.

Maybe I feel cynical between finals, but the idea of a group of people chasing Harry, again, for something that makes him special, is just boring and cliche. It's one of those stories that because it revolves around a powerful, end-all be-all tool, it just becomes the same. Now, of course, a good author could craft it, make it something classy, on the ritz, with a likable character, but I don't see it happening.

I'm rambling, but yeah.

On the real purpose of me hitting reply:

Hashasheen, stop fanboying DLP. Really. You've summarily comprised yourself as a misnomer for a DLP-mascot in your signature and rather stupidly spouted that everyone in the Wizarding-verse is arrogant, jealous beyond moral compilation. You don't need to sell yourself. If you want to do that, the Red-light districts exist for a reason.

18. Synchro

Synchro High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Well...I suppose the author would have to consider that with Harry being the true Master of Death and uniting the three Hallows, the elder wand would not change ownership so easily any more? I mean if it was that easy, what is the point of him being the Master of Death?

I think individually, any of the Hallows should work for anyone, but never against their true Master and never as well as they do for him. Remember that Riddle was able to use the Elder Wand as well as his own wand. But it did not work well enough and he knew it. It did not work against Harry either who by then had already united the damn things.

And true Master, Harry will remain until his death. With him the power of the Hallows (the wand and stone at least) should fade. I think that the cloak will continue to be an invisibility cloak and will get passed on as an inheritance.

19. Hashasheen

Lol, most Harry/Fleur writers are members of DLP, so the first part of the sig isn't reaching. And second of all its Canon that the Elder Wand has a bloody history with wizards fighting over it, and having one of the three greatest tools of magic so close would get anyone greedy.

As for what I put in my sig, why do you fucking care, seeing how no one else does or has even bothered to say shit.