1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter HBP E3 2009 Trailer

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Kang, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

2. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

Graphics vary between decent and crap.

As for the kickass Dumbledore, I really got Gandalf vs Balrog vibes of the 1:55 part for some reason.

Looks boring imo, might be because I detest games with one available course. They should really make a HP universe mmorpg.

3. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Ghey game, wouldn't buy or play. Bad as it is, an HP mmorpg would be a shitstorm, and most likely fail.

4. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

Probably would, but you can't deny that a HP universe mmorpg as worked out as World of Warcraft for example, though obviously different, would make enticing gameplay.

The problem is 1) Getting it to the high level of design in all areas that it'd need to be good and 2) Getting a target audience outside the screaming hordes of idiots.

5. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

How exactly do they make a game out of a book where nothing happened? Thats what I'd like to know. Also, I agree with Justblaise. A Harry Potter MMO would ...suck. Badly.

6. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

Doesn't look that bad for a movie game. I'd try out the mutilplayer dueling, even though it looks a little clunky. If it were free.

7. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

This game looks like its five or 6 years out of date. The graphics are mediocre at best and the way the characters seem to move looks terrible, espeially when dueling.

8. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I think a Harry Potter game that is strictly online would kind of suck, but it wouldn't be half bad if there was a game where you could take him through all seven years, have him sorted into a different house, teach as much or as little as you want, have him fall in love with whatever girl you choose, and through your decisions change various plot points. I'd like to see a Harry Potter game sort of like Oblivion - once you've gone to a point in the castle you can hit it on your map and automatically go there, there are tons of "quests" (little shit you can do to up your experience, receive cool new spells whatever), everyone has something to say depending on what is going on in the world...

Anyway, if some team spent a good two years on it I don't see why there couldn't be a seriously kick ass Harry Potter game. I don't mind if the graphics are "okay" as long as there are really cool things to do in the game. Multiplayer dueling and Quidditch aren't quite enough.

9. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Won't happen, ever, because:

They have absolutely no motivation whatsoever to make even a decent game, because the screaming hordes of idiots will buy it with little to no hesitation. Look at Mordac's avatar, that retarded stickfigure thing: they could've make a shit hole game based on that level of artwork/animation, and the game would still sell, period. They're all about getting out games quickly at this point, while the HP fanaticism is still hot.

Even if this game was up to snuff, it still wouldn't be satisfying; I can't speak for everyone, but because of fanfiction, I'm so set in the idea of mixing physical combat with spellcasting that the regular method is just...meh.

10. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Admit it, you just want to Avada Kedavra some NPCs. Professor Weasley especially perhaps? :D

11. Seitou

Seitou Third Year

Wow, you know it's gonna suck as hard as the last ones when the first two things they announce on the trailer is that you can go to more parts of the same castle you've already explored. Ironically chances are the only good thing about the game will be (Maybe) the multiplayer duelling, and exploring the castle anyway.

12. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

The movies are shit and the game is absolute shit that looks like it could run on my fucking PSP with ease.

13. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Ideal HP Game (because it was on my mind, and doesn't warrant a new thread IMO):

- top-notch graphics
    - full HP-verse knowledge (i.e. Rowling not being a cunt and making random shit up that lacks cohesion)
    - Expansion packs: different categories of spells, spell creation pack, Durmstrang and Beaubaxton environment packs, physical combat packs, magical subject experimentation packs, etc
    - voice input: to substitute for non-verbal spellcasting. Progression in nonverbal skill would allow the player to use shorter trigger words (e.g. "Crucio" --> "pain", "protego" --> "block")
    - Different "horcrux hunts" depending on the level of difficulty the player chooses
    - Events the timeline occuring sooner or later, depending on what the main character does in certain parts of the game.

14. reggin

reggin Filthy Half-Breed DLP Supporter

Renting this game for $1 at the local game store, and getting my 1000 GS. That's about as useful as this game will be.

15. summanus

summanus Second Year

I still don't see why it wouldn't be a good universe for an mmorpg. It would work pretty much like fanfiction does. The universe from the books leaves a lot of room for expanding, through the imagination of others. So in a mmorpg this means that the dev's would have a lot of possibilities of adding new content.

You could just start off as a 'low lvl/age' wizard/witch and work your way up through quests & battles in either hogwarts or some other school area or town area.

You could have people band together in 'orders' instead of clans or guilds. (as in Order of the 'insert name' ). You could have pvp in the form of duels or battles between orders. Possibly you could align yourself with light or dark and get access to higher lvl spells/abilities for each side. You could have quests that take you into areas such as the forbidden forest to find some animal and help it. Or perhaps go pve against Acromantula's or other creatures. Perhaps you could become a skilled merchant. Make enchanted robes and sell them for galleons sickles & knuts. Weaponry or enchanted objects could be created. Perhaps even a tradeskill to make wands if you have found the needed materials. Really i think this would be a very nice universe to use as an mmorpg... so many possibilities.

If a company would buy the rights to use content from the books they have a huge open area to expand upon with expansions & updates to keep players happy and content.

I could see this making good money.
    I'd at least try it out...

ps. Please if you want to break this reply don't use the 'your spelling sucks' excuse but find some worthwhile counters to use in order to call me an idiot. Thanks.

16. neren

neren Slug Club Member

This was a ridiculously short game. It was entertaining enough with the duels. I'm running it on the pc and the graphics aren't bad when everything is maxed out. You get a few spells such as Protego, Petrificus Totalus, Expelliarmus, Levicorpus, and Stupify. You cast by mouse gestures which are fairly responsive. Quidditch was annoying to me but the way they made it wasn't bad. You do get to duel Death Eaters after Dumbledore's death and dueling during Felix Felicis is like wtfpwning with the elder wand.

Now if the game was given to bioware and/or rockstar and the spell casting system were improved, I'd imagine it would be amazing.

17. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I doubt they would let them touch the Harry Potter series for fear of an GTA!Harry going around and raping the Death Eaters.

That would make an awesome crackfic.

PS: Necroing in non-library threads is considered a no-no.

18. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

If someone were to make a HP mmorpg, they could pull a Bioware. You start out as a poor muggleborn given the oppurtunity to come to Hogwarts, this being set a century or so after Harry or maybe not that far into the future. Anyway, you go through Hogwarts, where you could be an outstanding student and make a name for yourself, but a new Dark Lord rises and you are given the choice of starting an order agianst said Dark Lord or joining him/her and training under them and becoming extremely dark. After you get strong enough, you are given the choice of killing the current Dark Lord and becoming the new Dark Lord. Then your quest of world domination begins!

19. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Aside from the 5 month necro addressing the ever so popular HP MMO idea,

The trailer says "Play the game your way" yet somehow I doubt they'd allow me to bandy about the killing curse, leaving a trail of death, destruction, and slaughtered firsties in my wake.

20. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Its a progression of years events, with focus on certain aspects. I actually like the First and second HP game for console, the new ones, OotP and HBP both seem like they're just movie sidekicks to draw extra profit.

The first HP game, you could free range on your broom and do little side quests and shit.