1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Runescape

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Dareycow, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Dareycow

Dareycow Fifth Year

Anyone playing Runescape? I get bored with my games so I switch the games I play when I feel like it, and now its Runescapes turn again! I'm just wondering if anyone else plays, if so send me a PM so I can get at least 1 person on my friends list haha. I'm a lonely panda.

RS Name: Furicatas

On a side note, I should've read all the updates before I started again. I logged onto my bank maul and went to drop trade 5mil to Furicatas, it didn't appear. Apparently there is now a drop trade limit of 3k, 5 mil was just a little over that limit. Fuck my bad. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  2. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

Runescape? IIRC that game is shittier than Tibia, but whatever you find fun I guess. But then again, havn't even seen the game in years, might've evolved into something worthwhile. Damn, you made me curious -_-

3. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Played for a while, didn't like it too much.

Prefer FPS games.

4. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

Played it a few years ago... I think it's too immature and idiotic even for this crowd... ;)

Can waste some time, but unless you're really bored or enjoy mindlessly clicking things, I wouldn't recommend it...

5. Dareycow

Dareycow Fifth Year

Yeah there is definitely a load better games out there, but I'm an old hat at it so I go back now and then. Loved Player Killing, but they've wrecked that as well now. From what I was reading when you go into the wilderness you are given a target, and it is only that target that will drop items if you kill them. :( There goes half my game, killing random ppl and getting rich quick with pures. Now I have to work for it, this sucks.

6. Scrittore

Scrittore Groundskeeper

I'd use to love playing Runescape. I'd get a player to level 60 but then I'd stop due to boredom, and come back a few months later while starting all over again. My problem with Runescape is the fact that's it one massive game of grinding. There are only so many quests that one can do, but even to get to do those quests you have to grind.

A lot of the great things about Runescape like player killing were ruined because people complained about Pures, etc. While they made some improvements, the foundation still has plenty of flaws that need to be fixed. Though I will say, the game is a much less of an eyesore to look at now.

7. Dareycow

Dareycow Fifth Year

Yeah way better to look at. I read with the Bounty Hunter update (that wrecked PKing) 60k accounts on Runescape closed. I don't know how accurate that is, but even if its only 10k accounts, at 10 AU a month (for me) there is $100,000AU a month they just lost from that one update. Gotta be a kick in the balls.

8. Scrittore

Scrittore Groundskeeper

Well a lot of those accounts could be free ones. Honestly, if you were to eliminate Runescape's bot population, the number of "players" would drop dramatically. Whenever I use to go fishing in some of the more popular areas, I want to say at least 1/2 were bots. Money in Runescape had gotten to the point where it was worst than Zimbabwe.

9. Dareycow

Dareycow Fifth Year

Haha yeah. They reckon before those updates half the in-game currency was in the hand of Gold Sellers and bots. They should open up there own store and sell gold, it'll stop people from buying from gold sellers and they can put limits on such etc. I would :D But then again it is a kids game.

I could dream about owning all that money though.

10. Scrittore

Scrittore Groundskeeper

At this point, they need to actually be eliminating money or at least making it harder to obtain money. There are ways where you can make insane amounts now that end up driving up the prices of everything. I imagine the horror for the price of a party hat now a days. When I last played, it was either $100 million gold or $1 billion gold.

They could just crackdown on the gold sellers now, and put a dent in such operations. However, if WoW and RS opened up the doors for them selling gold then you'd see a huge fall in the amount of gold sellers.

The other problem with Runescape is now I have better ways to waste my time then to just sit there watching my character do something for 8+ straight hours. However, when you're 13, there's not that many games out there you can play, it's that simple, and you feel like you're actually accomplishing something for online.

11. ForsakenOne

ForsakenOne Groundskeeper

Oh lawd Runescape >.>. I remember i used to be so dam addicted to that game. I loved the pvp though, went from 1-70 through player killing as a pure ranger, was really fun, then kinda got boring. Looking at the new updates, i don't think id ever play again though.

12. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Used to play Run Escape with a friend. Got boring right around lvl 35. Nothing to do... and grinding = DX.

They got rid of pvp. DX

13. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

They now have pvp worlds, in these worlds if you leave the city limits you can be pked anywhere in runescape. Only difference from wilderness is that what you get is computer generated that is scaled according to a number of factors.

They got rid of the normal pking due to its role in real world trading.

14. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

All the bots were killed because of this fancy thing they did. It basically just moves the screen randomly every half a minute or something, and that offsets the bot's clicking.

The economy of Runescape is all for the rich people now. There's a place called the Grand Exchange, where you can buy any tradable item in the game(assuming someone else is selling it). If you buy, say, 40,000 of one item, you have a likely chance of raising that items average price by 1. You can then sell it for 40,000gp profit, and it will go back down one.

Maybe if the game wasn't all point and click, I'd play. I would appreciate pressing a few keys for anything except typing. I'm addicted to Jagex's other game site, Funorb, because of that.

15. Zyloch

Zyloch Fourth Year

That doesn't do anything to the bots, which use color tolerance and bitmap recognition in their programs. Granted, good botting programs are harder to make now. No, I still think the main way bots are detected is just how long they've been running.

16. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I don't belive so, I used to bot on runescape, a lot. Often leaving it on for 8-14 hours. Every night. The first time I used a script that did not randomize its actions i.e it did the same thing over and over and used the exact same clicks. I was banned within a hour.

17. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

I used to play Runescape as well, until I got to level 60 something, realized that all I'm doing is wasting my time playing a game that sucks hard, and got a girlfriend. The only upside of playing this game was that I got to sell my account to a Runescape addict for $20.

18. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I played but when I couldnt kill randomly anymore it sucked. That and every one and there mother were starting clans because it was the only way to fight.

19. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

Yeah, the clan bullshit was really annoying and seeing as every clan seemed to be made mother fucking lvl 120 members, there really was no point in fightin in em'. The Wilderness bullshit ruined the only good aspect of the game, killing noobs who wander into the Wild.

20. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Reviving this thread for the new decade since it missed the last one by a day. Plus, it's been released on Mobile (Albeit in Beta) so I figured I'd make so comments.

Been playing since 2007, had my account banned in 2014 for botting (My own fault, I was a stupid kid), but made another account in 2015 and have been playing on and off since, sometimes taking a whole years worth of a break.

The game has had it's ups and downs. The way the new combat system was introduced in 2013 was appalling and is what led to the split which created the legacy version of the game. Since then, the combat system has been refined and adjusted so that it is both modern and appeals to your average Runescape player.

Unfortunately, the majority of the game has a high barrier to entry. Back in the day, maxing your skills was something only a handful of players achieved and the advantages given by it were often not worth the time cost. Now, the saying is that "Once you max, you can finally start playing the game." This is largely in part due to the fact that the best PvM bosses require you to have max combat skills if you want to kill them in a timely manner. So really, it's only max combat skills you need, not max in all skills. Plus, you can still kill most "mobs" (Non-boss monsters) without high level skills.

Levelling up skills has also gotten much faster and easier to accommodate for this higher barrier of entry. Most of the skills have an average xp per hour gain of probably 10X what it was when this thread was active. Most skills can also be AFKed or Semi-AFKed. You can leave your character in combat and only have to click once every 5 minutes and that's only because the game logs you out after 5 minutes of inactivity.

One thing I really like is the quests in this game. Other MMO and RPG games have quests like "Go here and kill 10 mammoths and bring me back their tusks". Here, it's an actual story where you'll travel the map talking to different NPCs, solving puzzles, trying to find items and only occasionally having to fight a monster. The quests range from simple fetch quests (Find the ingredients to bake a cake) to World Ending Events (Prevent the Elder Gods from waking up and destroying the universe).

Plus, unlike most other games, I'm not locked into a particular class. It's like Skyrim where if I want to be an Archer, I can just equip Ranged armour and a bow and arrow and start fighting like a Ranger. Same with Magic.

Something I find really interesting is the Economy of Runescape. It is for the most part player driven. Items can fluctuate in price massively based on how many players need it, how rare the item is, if it is a discontinued item, etc. Inflation in the game has also gotten...Interesting. Back in the day, if you had 1 Million Coins, you'd be considered rich. Now, even 100 Mil is considered on the lower end with many players needing to spread their wealth to other assets because they've gone pass the maximum Cash Stack in the game (2.17 Billion).

To address some of the concerns in the game (Even though I doubt anyone has read the walls of text above):

Point and Click: While the majority of the game is point and click, the best players for PvM bossing have their abilities set to "Manual" (Where abilities require keyboard inputs to activate) for better DPS. Not much of an improvement I admit but it's a start.

Botting: To be honest, your average player doesn't bot anymore. Mainly because the amount of XP you can gain in an AFK money is so high that it just isn't worth it to take the risk. Bot farms still exist for shady websites amassing Runescape Gold but even those are on the decline since (A) Gold is easy to earn and (B) You can buy it directly from Runescape/JAGEX themselves.

PKing: The Wilderness (Area where you can kill other players) was brought back a while ago. The PvP community isn't as active anymore since the meta for the game is PvM Bossing. The PvP worlds still exist as well though.

Trade: Trade restrictions were lifted at the same time as the reversion of the Wilderness so Free Trade is back. #REXIT.

Membership: Membership can now be brought with in-game gold rather than real world money. I myself have enough in-game currency to give me membership for the next two years.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.