1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Calamari by shredder of paper - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Mufasa, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Mufasa

Mufasa Squib

Title: Calimari
    Author: shredder of paper
    Rating: T
    Genre: General
    DLP Category: General Fics.
    Pairing: Harry Potter and Padma P.
    Summary: Beaten and broken, an infant Harry Potter finds himself on the bottom of the great lake. He is wisked to safety, but the real question is not by who, but by what?
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5262708/1/Calamari

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2009
  2. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

I feel reasonably certain that you, my not-friend, failed to read a sticky aptly titled "Read before posting!", but I'm not even sure it matters ... Squid!Harry?

Edit:
    On second thought, you can redeem yourself by adding the required details to your post and ending the stoy with this line: But as Harry's arms inextricablely tangled in the propeller of the Mercury 250 PS, all that was left was Calamari.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  3. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Shockingly enough, this is not the worst story ever. The author actually has some scope of the English language, and an idea that's just fucked up enough and tongue-in-cheek enough to maybe work.

...at least, I hope tongue-in-cheek enough, with lines like
    I'll keep an eye on it, but its too early to rate it.

Also, lern2formatz, and read the stickies.

EDIT: A few questions come to mind.
    1. Is this your story, or are you a new member who just thought this was the greatest thing since sliced bread and HAD to post it here? Review tends to be harsher on those authors who join and immediately post their stories, though there are exceptions (notably me, back in the day :p).
    2. Why did you post this in Review, and not in WbA? Review tends to be harsher, and with a story with a crazy premise...I think you'd do better in WbA, to be honest.
    3. In addition to the standard format, why not tell us a little bit more about the story afterward - convince us that we should read it! (Though I already did, of course)
    4. Post an intro. Not a question per se, but *a fine recommendation so that we can get to know you and be your friends.
    5. Do you honestly believe that this is a "General" story? I advise you read some of the stories in that category - I hope that this story is a Humor/Parody, because even if it takes itself seriously, I don't really think Squid!Harry can ever be a serious story.

* Better Tinn?

Yes, much better. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2009
  4. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

LOL - "the cephalopod who lived" may just be one of the greatest lines in the fandom.

After Harry meets his grisly end from Sesc's propeller, I propose that his remains make their way to Voldemort. The prophecy will be fulfilled when he chokes on some fried calamari.

5. Mufasa

Mufasa Squib

It's mine. You can be harsh, that's fine... constructive criticism is very helpful to me.

As above, I need harshness to hone my technique.

It's a fanfiction about Harry Potter as a squid. What more is there to say? I think it speaks for itself.

Sure. I'll do it later. For now, I'm going to eat.

I'm trying my damnedest to make a story about a squid wizard, or squizard, serious. It can be hard at times, as evidenced by the line you quoted above, but I intend to do my best. I'm a man who likes a challenge.

6. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You win many internets and are now my favourite noobie.

7. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Squizard... Sounds like a pokemon.

The idea sounds ridiculous enough to actually be worth taking a look at.

8. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Oh god, I didn't even notice the pairing. Padma is going to be one kinky little girl, isn't she? Whatever will Harry do with all those extra arms?

9. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

WTF!

I must read...

10. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm trying to keep my expectations low while also squee-ing like a little girl at the thought of Padma doing it with a tentacle monster.

11. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

Are you sure this isn't meant to be a parody? Because the idea sure as hell lends itself to that genre. I'm not saying it can't be done seriously, and you seem to be a decent job of doing so, but it's obvious: the lulz-potential is strong with this one.

A note: Check your spelling. It's "Pomfrey," not "Pomphrey." I believe you also misspelled Gryffindor once.

I'll refrain from rating a story so early, but the potential for an original story is huge.

12. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

^^

I think I'm going to skip on this one, for the sake of my sanity. Nevertheless, I wish you the best of luck with completing your ahh unique fic.

13. rogueboy

rogueboy Second Year

So just from the first chapter we've got an insane Pomfrey, Potters who apparently will not die on Halloween, belief that Neville is the BWL, Voldemort being wiped out without crazy blood sacrifice protections, and a Dumbledore who is incompetent to the point that he's not fast enough to outdraw his school nurse. Interesting.

I read through this a while back, but I'll withhold judgment until there's more to go on. Tentative 3/5 just for the Harry/Padma thing, since I'm a sucker for that pairing.

I'll see the "seems like a parody" sentiment, and raise the "this seems like setup for Harry Potter hentai!" notion.

14. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

It's a trap! :awesome

Otherwise, too short to rate, although doesn't seem so great. Actually, it seems a really stupid idea to me. 2.5/5 so far.

15. e1

e1 Third Year

;) Smug bastard. When will you get around to updating E2D?
    --
    On topic, Squizard!Harry ftw.

Your writing is definitely on par with DLP standards, but the finer nuances need work. If you were looking for a well-rounded critique session, you'd have been better off posting this in the WbA section. But since you're a n00b, ignorant of the ways of DLP, I'll indulge you just this once.

I like your opening paragraph. The portrait POV is very original. But ...
    And shortly after ...

Jarring irony, much? A jaded ex-aristocrat dropping F-bombs is just plain ridiculous.
    --

Also, you seem to have an issue with keeping your tenses consistent :

--
    First sentence is a nonsensical jumble of words. Tense-wise, the whole thing is fucked.
    --

And this...
    Not wrong, per se, but odd word choice. Try 'knocked him unconscious'/'stunned him' and 'not much of a healer' instead.
    --
    Hmm ... that's twice you mispelled 'pillar'. I hope for your sake they are typos.
    --
    I'll pretend I never read that.
    --

I won't bother getting into the second chapter. OP, now you know what to work on. Focus on your tenses and try not to use flowery words in the wrong context (kinda defeats the purpose of flaunting one's vocabulary).

I'll refrain from rating this thread. I really wish you'd posted this after you'd gotten a dozen more chapters out of the way - would likely have made it to the library. However, given the current word count, it'll probably be squatting here and gathering cyber-dust for a while, or get bumped to the Rec Bin.
    --
    I really REALLY hope you didn't rate this thread. A Harry/Padma ship (however much appealing it may be ;) ) isn't grounds enough to rate a fic.

EDIT:
    LOL. I just read Amerision's latest update. First cephalopod!smut, and now Ink!Girl smut. DLP is truly fucked up. :D

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  16. rogueboy

rogueboy Second Year

I did not. My current opinion is 3/5, but am withholding until I either see more or... well, it gets recycled/trashed. Two chapters isn't enough.

17. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Hrmm, I'm going to wait until everything is published before I rate.

But this does make me hungry...

Mmmm, calamari.

18. The Santi

The Santi Professor

This is pretty twisted...yet I can't look away. I added it to my alerts, and, like everyone is saying, I'll probably rate it after another chapter or two.

I'm actually interested in seeing how everyone discovers Harry is alive. I hope it's not another fic that has McGonagall see where the letter to Harry is addressed, and everyone rushes out to save him or some shit.

19. Portus

Portus Heir

Reminds me of Tony Shalhoub (Monk) in Galaxy Quest (with Tim Allen) doing it with the alien chick who had all the tentacles. Pretty damn funny.

On topic? The story sounds like massive fail, but I'm unlikely to ever read it, so I'll refrain from rating.

20. Mufasa

Mufasa Squib

Why thank you! Yeah, I'll admit to being ignorant of this place--A friend just told me thaat I should try posting here. I saw a 'for review' section and thought that'd be he best place. Perhaps I should've tried WbP, now that I look around, but I didn't know.

Seems like it to you? I thought that made an impact to show just how far she's dropped. She was a sweet woman all her life but fate played a cruel trick, and it made her quite bitter.

Um. Yeah. Oops. I should go back and fix that. Thanks for pointing it out!

Alright. Looking it over, you seem to be correct.

Meh. Maybe. I like my wording, but I could see it being awkward.

Um...spell check did not pick up on that. Gah, I need an editor.

What? Voldy can't have a human side?

I'll try, it's a bit of a problem I have with all of my writing.

It seems like it. Again I reiterate that a friend told me I should post here. Sorry about that. That said, a dozen chapters will take me a while. I think I'll make longer chapters and also I'll be busy once classes start back up.

Thanks for all your help.