1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Garrus

Garrus Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

As long as he isn't making uber destructive spells within months of taking the class, then I'm fine with a spell crafting class. Start out with stupid stuff, figuring out how to turn things different colors or random stuff like that.

2. The Santi

The Santi Professor

I just posted chapter 3 on ff.net

3. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

It could be possible the first year Spell Creation consists of learning about disciplines required to create spells, possibly Arithmancy, Ancient Runes, or some other such stuff. Then it would be a composite course like DADA is (where students learn about both combat charms and dark creatures), and students might not actually create any spells at all until near the end of school. I could see that in Durmstrang, the subjects seen as "difficult" aren't electives but required under this Spell Creation umbrella.

4. Jigokuno

Jigokuno Seventh Year

I second this idea. This seems like a really good way to make spell creation more realistic. It also makes sense to spend a few years working on taking apart already created spells and putting them back together before even seriously contemplating making your own spells.

Also one more nitpick on my part.

"Lily sighed. Sirius and Remus had told her that they had used an eavesdropping charm and that Nathan was taking Harry leaving very badly. “Nathan, this is your brother’s decision, and your father and I support him.”"

Does this mean only Lily knows about the eavesdropping? Or did she tell James. Also it might even be in character for her to tell Harry about the eavesdropping considering it was him telling his most embarrassing secrets.

I can't wait to see how Nathan responds to this guilt. Since I am working under the assumption that he listened in with Sirius and Remus then he probably heard about how the Ravenclaws treated him because of his fame. You know how people in general and particularly children react to guilt. They usually try to find a target for their guilt. In this case Nathan can direct his guilt about his fame forcing his brother out of school onto the Ravenclaws who bullied him.

5. capo327

capo327 Sixth Year

Pretty good stuff. Nathan feeling sorry is awesome, since I'm used to a dickish Potter twin. Those bastard professors annoyed me. Harry should end up killing them later on.

6. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Sirius and Remus used the eavesdropping to hear Harry's conversation with the teacher, or to hear Nathan crying on his room? That little bit confused me.

Oh, and I like about how everyone focus was on the godfather subject so far, and now all we can argue about is the spell creating class. Frankly, I'm all for teaching kinds how to think and do something useful by themselves.

7. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

Another great chapter. Great characterizations. I've got nothing against Spell Creation. Given how you've handled things so far, I've got faith you won't overpower the class, or Durmstrang.

8. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

I read a review for this a few min ago and it reminded me of something I rarely, if not never, see in Fanfics. Places that are Unplottable. Is Durmstrang to be Unplottable? And why isn't it ever used in Fanfiction?

9. The Santi

The Santi Professor

All the redundant crap about Nathan's godfather made me want to scream at one point. Since the spell creation class is actually in the story, I won't mind if that subject gets nitpicked to death.

I have no idea. I suppose Durmstrang should be unplottable, but I haven't specifically said anything about it. I don't really understand what making something unplottable means in canon. Does Unplottable just mean that muggles can't find something? If that's the case, I have something like that for Durmstrang.

10. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

From Hp. Lexicon:

From hp wiki:

Which is kind of proves how stupid hpwiki is. If the room of req is unplottable 'cause it does not show on the marauder map, then Hogwarts is not unplottable by the same logic(since it appears on it)

Next chapter: Harry Potter prevails once more in his new school, creating a spell that is able to draw any location in a map, regardless of unplottable wards/ fidelius charms.

I'm all in for Cartographer!Harry.

11. Kinser

Kinser Fourth Year

After reading the third chapter I'm ready to give it a tentative 4/5. There is still room to screw this up horribly...IE making Durmstrang into a super-school inadvertently, or making OCs which are not believable.

Over all the technical execution is pretty good, and getting better. This of course pleases me and shows me the author is trying their best.

The characterizations of the canon characters is spot on...mostly. James and Lily being both rather flat characters in canon a grants a good deal of license to be sure.

12. Qwerty

Qwerty Second Year

God, I didn't know this was updated, as I stayed out of here for a while due to all the Nathan's-godfather crap. But nice update. Like everybody said, Nathan's characterisation was great, as were James and Lily's. Also good that Harry doesn't seem to learn everything in a flash.

As for Spell Creation classes, it sounds like a good idea as long as you keep plausible...

Also, I think - and it's just my opinion - that Harry should have a subject that he has trouble with. It doesn't have to be major trouble - like canon!Harry with Potions, but maybe something he is more reluctant to spend time learning?

I cannot remember if there was anything in the first two chapters. If so - well...good?

13. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

He already has problems with learning German ;)

14. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

Just read the update and it was pretty good. I also read some of the reviews and I seen a couple people asking for you to switch back and forth between Harry and Nathan which I think it would be pretty lame, if you decide to do it. Also heard some people asking Nathan to go dark, now that would be lame too. Anyways, nice update. Can't wait for the next :D

15. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

Will Viktor Krum be making an appearance? He would, in my opinion be a better choice then a oc. Looking forward to Durmstrang :D

16. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

Your font pains me deeply.

Harry had used Portkeys before, so he thought he knew what to expect.

Two things immediately assaulted Harry's senses the moment he landed.

German speakers wouldn't have French accents, I think.

Unfinished, and a comma at the end.

This wasn't a room; it was a prison cell! Looks better.

While he recognized several words, the speed the language was being spoken at was still too much for him.

or

He recognized several words, but the speed the language was being spoken at was still too much for him.

I'm pretty sure it's mentioned in canon that all conversation is broken off as soon as Dumbledore rises.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  17. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I see Insane Juggler nitpicked some already. I'll only point out stuff he hadn't.

"He had left his home at ten in the morning, and it looked like the middle of the night where he had arrived." - I know it's pointless nitpicking, but go to www.stellarium.org and download a free open source program (for Windows, mac and linux) that will display the night sky for any place at any time, with constellations and stuff. I've entered the location of North Cape, Norway (the northern most place in Europe) at 10am, January 11th and what do you know - it's already not dark! The sun is still under the horizon, but it's light out. It was really dark at 8am, though...

"I ‘ad though you vould fall" - thought

"Kautokeino province" - I've tried that. It's not dark either, of course.

"and the Muggles dink dat dis area is inhabitable." - The muggles think that this area is livable, so they don't approach. What? Maybe you meant "uninhabitable"?

"on his heal" - heel

"which were written in fire on top of each doorway" - actual burning fire, or paint the color of flame? Also, flame has many colors depending on temperature.

"While he recognized several words, but the speed the language was being spoken at was still too much for him." - and that's _with_ the charm? Why could he understand the professor perfectly without the charm but couldn't understand the students with the charm applied?

"some mash potatoes" - I think it's "mashed" potatoes.

Did the student mouth "Half Blood" or "Mischling"? What with using non-German being punishable by whipping and all...

18. cloud91

cloud91 Fourth Year

Ya I agree with Scott about Nathan if you really feel the need to tell what happens to him while Harry's gone I would suggest a companion piece. Anyhow I like your story so far, you seem to be one of the few people who can right a twins story without making the twins hate each other or have Harry's parents hate him and/or abandon him to the streets or something to that liking

19. Jigokuno

Jigokuno Seventh Year

""Velcoming feast is in an hour. You must be in attendance." "

Why is their a welcoming feast halfway through the year? Are they doing this specially for a new student? If so that seems strange considering how spartan and utilitarian they seem to be. Maybe I am wrong but I don't remember them having two welcoming feasts per year at Hogwarts and you would think they would be the one to have lavish parties not Durmstrang.

"As Harry put some mash potatoes onto his plate, he noticed several students, who couldn't have been much older than himself, sending dark glances in his direction. When one of them met his eyes and mouthed 'half-blood' before spitting on the ground in disgust, Harry felt a surge of resentment. He had hoped that Durmstrang would have been different."

German and Slavic people know the Potter siblings are half bloods? I got the impression that Britain's wars and families weren't very important to Eastern Europe. Even with Nathan being the BWL why would little Russian kids know the Potter's are half bloods?

Overall this update was cool and a bit of a tease for things to come. I like your explanation of Durmstrang though.

20. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I think it's a welcome-everyone-back-from-winter-hols feast.

Not open for further replies.