1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry/Hermione Community

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by darklordmike, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

I wish these loudmouth faggots on ff.net that like to cunt-vomit nonsense on their author profile (LOL) would take the time to make an account and actively post on DLP. Not for them to get flamed or dismissed, but so they could look in the WbA section - where both quality and shitty writing gets submitted; get a taste of the real, constructive criticism, which will inevitably draw comparisons to other equally-shitty stories; and then go back to their favorites lists, and see how many of those comparison stories match. 9 outta 10 members would delete more than half of the shit that they thought was decent - I know I did.

The 10th person would kill themselves.

On topic: Bexis, author of The Fifth Element (aka that bitch of a 6th year that'll never get finished) also authored a Harry Potter/Devil Wears Prada crossover called 'The Bat Returns From Hell'. Enjoy, ladies.

2. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

3. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

:confused:

4. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Uh...have some lemonade, bro'

[​IMG]

5. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

/facepalm

It's because of idiots like him that H/Hr shippers have a bad name.

On a side note, I think I've seen the fic, "Hermione Granger and the Goblet of Fire" being mentioned in another thread before.

It's Hermione-centric to the point Harry is basically a sidekick - at least for now and the foreseeable future - so I definitely wouldn't recommend it to anyone but H/Hr shippers or fans of Hermione.

What's good about it is that the story is very well-written, with long chapters. I feel Hermione is well-written here. Her actions are plausible enough that you can envision they are what she will actually do were her name tossed out of the Goblet.

The romance is nicely done too, with a good pacing. Harry and Hermione are quite far from declaring their undying love for each other, at any rate.

For those who are worried, Hermione isn't really overpowered here. She has a vast spell repertoire, as she did in canon, but the ability to cast a wide variety of spells is not all there is in a life or death struggle, as you will see in the chapter with the First Task (same as canon).

I'll try to dig up the link for those who are interested.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  6. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

He needs to be banned. Is there grounds for banning?

7. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

KIRA MAD! KIRA NO TYPE WELL! KIRA NO KNOW GRAMMAR OR PUNCTUATION!!! KIRA WANT KILL WON WON! KIRA SMASHHHHH

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  8. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Found a link for it at portkey, Lucullus. I just read the first chapter, and you're right - it's extremely well-written and Hermione's characterization is spot on.

The only thing that worries me is that this might just be a re-hash of GoF with a change in personnel. Have you read enough to know whether it diverges at all from canon?

9. Gulliver

Gulliver Second Year

Kira is The Hulk in disguise?

Edit: 2am idiocy.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  10. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

Are you fucking serious?

11. Vander

Vander First Year

Oh god how I hate this one. I ship H/Hr and don't really read much else, but holy fuck does this one annoy me to no end.

I hate how Hermione in many fics is portrayed as smarter than Albert Fucking Einstein and can somehow learn things like quantum mechanics in a single summer without ever having any background in advanced mathematics or physics. Goddammit, it takes YEARS AND YEARS of study to just be able to begin to understand that field of physics and even then most of the people in the field don't truly understand what the hell is going on because it's so insanely counter-intuitive.

There is no question that Hermione is intelligent, but she's not a super genius. However, I've met plenty of people in my life who I would consider to be significantly more intelligent than her. People don't seem to realize that she's a textbook case of someone who appears more intelligent than she actually is because she's OCD about studying. There are many people out there who would put her to shame because they could do everything she can do without ever picking up a book (or by reading it once and never picking it up again). I knew plenty of people like Hermione in high school and college and while they made great grades, I never considered them to be amongst the most intelligent people I knew because they were never very good at actual analysis or at applying the knowledge.

---------- Post automerged at 02:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 AM ----------

This is exactly what would have happened in real life. Two hormonal, good looking teenagers with no relation to each are alone in an immensely stressful situation that was exacerbated by their best friend abandoning them when they needed him the most, how the hell could it not happen?

People tend to cling to those around them in situations like that and hold on as tightly as they can. Hell the sex might ultimately mean nothing except as a stress reliever, but it's pretty much a guarantee that it would happen.

12. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

Vander speaks nothing but the truth. This is also coming from another H/Hr shipper.

There are only two acknowledged geniuses/prodigies in the canon HP-verse: Albus Dumbledore and Lord Voldemort.

No one else even compares. Not Hermione, by a fricking long shot. Hell, Dumbledore was already having his articles published in respectable journals before his Seventh Year, if memory serves.

What has Hermione done, besides getting a crapload of Os in the OWLs (and presumably NEWTs too)? Basically, nothing Percy Weasley or Eddie Carmichael would be unable to do too.

But you know how most Harmonians are, especially those on Portkey.

13. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Just came across these at ff.net. Anyone already read them and have thoughts to share? I'd rather not even open them if they suck.

14. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Promise of A Life-time has clichés, Martial Arts, and very little deviations from canon until the point I stopped, which was when Harry and Hermione gave the Diary back to Ginny.

The other story sounds like just another over-dramatised Dursley abuse angst-fest, so I never looked at it. The author's Harry/Fleur/Gabrielle fic sucked, so I probably won't.

And it looks like I've been promoted to MoM, at least for the time being.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  15. Vander

Vander First Year

Yeah only Voldemort and Dumbledore qualify as true geniuses because they have done things that have been considered revolutionary in magic. Though you could probably throw Snape in there as well since he's considered a potion's prodigy.

Hermione's assumed genius irks me because her personality is not at all like someone who is an actual genius. True geniuses are bored by regular school and almost never study until college. Hermione's personality however IS indicative of someone who was continually picked upon at an early age and withdrew into books because that was the only place she could gain refuge from it all. It's not so much that she's incredibly intelligent as it is that she only feels truly comfortable reading a book where she can block out the outside world. This in turn has caused her to become OCD about reading since she likely reads everything in sight.

I would bet loads of money that if Hermione got counseling to help her deal with her issues, that she would probably go back down to just above average levels of studying and still make good grades.

The thing with people on Portkey is that they a lot of them just kind of brush over Hermione's issues. True many of them try to address them, but because they don't really understand them in the first place they mischaracterize her badly.

16. Oneiros

Oneiros Groundskeeper

Do you know anything about geniuses (or genii if you prefer)? There are many child geniuses that advance through school at a rate far faster than can be accounted for by obsessive studying alone, and they often have side projects along the way.

I remember reading about one girl who had graduated high school by age 14 (or close to it), and she had a black belt and several other time consuming achievements made in extracurricular activities. There is a kid out there right now who is a complete genius at chemistry. He takes college level classes in chemistry after he finishes his regular school classes, and there is not one single thing that determines a personality that is or is not one of a genius.

Newton used to lock himself away for long periods of time just working on his projects. There is a child who is a genius at playing piano and he plays in his sleep (not an actual piano mind you, but his hands move as if his playing while he is dreaming). Some people are very eccentric and others you wouldn't even know were that smart because they behave like everyone else.

Furthermore, Snape is supposedly better at Defense Against the Dark Arts than he is in Potions though he is quite good at both. I believe Dumbledore and Tom both spent quite a bit of time with their noses in books while at Hogwarts, and Hermione is not a genius. She is considered to be the brightest witch of her age. There is a huge difference. Didn't Percy get similar OWL's as her or am I remembering that wrong?

The characterization of Hermione is often butchered because of this very thing. Hermione is not a genius. She is substandard when compared to Snape, Lily, James, Sirius, and Remus so it is perhaps a good thing she wasn't from that generation. I'd even go so far as to say the Twins surpass her in their own way even if they never applied themselves in school.

If you have an argument for anyone being a lazy genius I believe Harry is perhaps the only one who fits the bill. A patronus in third year, his ability to learn from Snape's potion text so easily (honestly even the text was better than the others he still had to be able to use it if he had used regular text he would have produced the same results as Hermione the only difference is he wanted to learn from this text same goes for the spells in it), he seemed to be unusually gifted at thinking quickly and reacting to situations in which Dumbledore wasn't there acting as a crutch, and I believe he cast a banishing charm perfectly on his first try though he didn't even notice it because he was talking at the time if I'm remembering my GOF correctly.

17. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

If I were forced to try and peg Hermione's intellect and abilities, I'd lean toward the following attributes:

1. Well above average, yet not genius-level intelligence.

97 or 98th percentile intelligence (in both the IQ and 'magical quotient' realms) sounds about right. In the real world, a person with her attributes would, through a combination of smarts and her hard work, finish near the top of her class. She'd then go on to a high-prestige university, where her intellect would no longer seem exceptional (particularly if she then went on for an advanced degree in something).

It should be noted that, because of the small size of the Wizarding world, 97-98th percentile intelligence would make her smarter than all but 50 to 100 living British wizards, if we use Rowling's population figures of a few thousand people.

2. Fanatical work ethic.
    Hermione out-studies the large majority of people. She isn't the sort of person where one would say, "She didn't live up to her potential."

With some additional personality refinement, this work ethic plus the above mentioned smarts would make her good at managing large-scale intellectual projects. She would be intelligent enough to understand most of what her (more intelligent) employees were doing, and direct them accordingly, even if she wasn't smart enough to contribute cutting-edge ideas herself.

3. Excellent memory.
    This attribute is seen so often in the books that it becomes a running joke. Hermione comes out as freakish not just because she reads a lot, but because she readily retains most of what she reads. It's possible that her memory is even greater than 98th percentile, but I don't feel there's enough data to say for certain.

18. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Not even. "The brightest witch if her age" is just a thing Harry throws out to defend her, IIRC. It doesn't have to be true. I don't think it is true, for that matter, there could very well be other students that are just as bright. Hermione is nothing special. Which leads me to ...

Hermione is as good as she is, because she studies that much. She hasn't got some uber!talent, isn't a prodigy and doesn't get everything right on her first try. Take away the insane amount of time she spends with the books, and she's a normal student. Bolded for your viewing pleasure.

She isn't dumb. Lot's of people aren't dumb. She's able to grasp the magical theory in her books -- which were made for students to understand it (that is, I assume in her favour that she does, because she usually only parrots what was written in the books, which isn't a sign of having truly grasped the matter and so being able to put it in own words). And so on and so forth.

TL;DR: Hermione is nothing special and tries to make through far too much studying up what she's lacking in natural talent.

19. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

Heh, heh. Now now, I'd never say Hermione was over 9000. She's a 4000 or a 5000 at best; i.e. Nappa's power level. No match for Hogwarts!Goku. :D

And 98th percentile intellect really isn't that special, hence why I think it's a good fit. I mean, it's quite smart, yes, but a very large high school class (say, 600 in the grade) will have a dozen smarter than Hermione, and another couple dozens who are close enough so that it's hard to tell the difference.

Rowling has said this of Hermione:
    "Yeah, Hermione is a caricature of what I was when I was 11, a real exaggeration. I wasn’t that clever. Hermione is borderline genius at points and I hope I wasn’t that annoying because I would have deserved strangling."

But Rowling is no genius herself, and probably couldn't be counted on to distinguish not-quite-genius from the genuine article. If you could somehow grant Rowling the power of numeracy, and if she could avoid going too Sue-ish on Hermione's ass, I bet she'd be like, "Yeah, IQ of ~130? That's mah Hermione, sucka!"

20. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

No, while I don't think Hermione's a genius, she isn't just an ordinary students. I believe she at least has above average talent in her grasp of magic. A merely hardworking student of average magical potential might try to read up and practice advanced spells learned by his seniors, but fail to perform them because they are simply beyond him, no matter how hard he tries.

Hermione reads a lot and has an encyclopaedic knowledge of spells, being able to carry them off flawlessly (albeit after loads of practice, I guess) despite some of them being too advanced for her age group.

Of course, Harry does that too, now and then - and without all the hard work - but like I said, Hermione's no genius.

---------- Post automerged at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

I've been following it and so far, it's GoF with the single exception of Hermione being the other Champion instead of Harry. The First Task is still the same with the dragons, and Hermione got incredibly lucky there. The only other divergence I can think of is her going to the Ball with Harry. But we already knew that would happen, don't we? :rolleyes:

I don't foresee much changes in the Second Task either, and ain't really anticipating it. It's the Final one that will possibly make or break the story.