1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

How have you improved Your Fan Fiction Reading Experience?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Antivash, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Beyond the obvious official DLP FFN theme and other site themes for stylish, how do you improve your experiences?

I, personally, use a few greasemonkey scripts. Power Fanfiction.net changes a lot of shit, like moving review links to the review count, merging chapter/word count, and changing date formats to relate how long since updates with color coded awesomeness. It also highlights words like slash.

As far as chapter viewing also auto-pages. Meaning, once you reach the bottom of the chapter, it automatically loads the next chapter directly beneath, with minimal interference.

Less of a massive change,Anti-Twilight removes twilight crossovers, FFN Menu Remover removes the roll-over effect of the top menu, and FFN Widescreen Fix is meant to fix widescreen display of chapters.

Anyone else got anything interesting?

Edit;

Some people have found an issue with installing my shit. The originals are here; Wide Screen Fix, Menu Remover, Anti-Twilight, and Power Fanfiction.net. Install buttons in each link.

If you want my colors for Power FFn, go to your manage scripts window, hit edit, and copy/replace all of it with mine.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  2. lucis

lucis Seventh Year

You know, when I read an essay by Stallman talking about how everyone was going to be running browser level website mods, I thought he was out of touch. It seems he wasn't.

In any case, I've been toying with making an FFN to TeX converter. Because FFN sucks. And there's no comparison with TeX's typesetting.

It might be amusing to do that to a few of the best fanfics, bind them up nicely, and donate them to my local library... Or stick them in a used book store.... Et cetera.

3. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I just use everything how it is. Changing nothing, except I did recently change from black on white, to black on white recently.

Don't know if that counts, as it is part of the FFN thing.

4. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's a bit obvious, as everyone should have it anyway, but ADBlockPlus is great for FF.Net. None of those annoying "Shoot the duck" animated sidebars any more. In fact, I've forgotten what FF.Net even looks like with ads on.

5. Novera

Novera Seventh Year

I've had a few dreams (nightmares?) where this happened. Very WTF, and I bet it would be the same irl.

6. ForsakenOne

ForsakenOne Groundskeeper

7. Alexeyy

Alexeyy Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I never heard about Greasemonkey. Tried it today, and it's awesome. I even played a bit with it.

Enclosed are:
    1) no-ads script that hides the advertisement block, and
    2) anti-twilight, anti-slash, anti-Tonks/Lupin scripts, which are essentially the same script that puts the "censored" image over an unwelcome search result.

Well, that was some fun!

Attached Files:

8. ab546122

ab546122 Backtraced

The only way to truly improve the fan fiction reading experience is to switch to published works.

9. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Thank you for that insightful little gem of wisdom. Your enlightening contributions to this community never cease to humble me, and leave me with a feeling of inadequacy because I know I will never be able to be as helpful as you are.

10. ab546122

ab546122 Backtraced

Maybe you can write a book.

11. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Perhaps you have missed the point entirely, ab546122. The point isn't the content you're reading. I was asking how you improved or modified the websites you're reading on.

I'm sure everyone here is still reading professionally published works. I just pulled A Darkness Forged in Fire by Chris Evans out of my box o` books since I was designated driver to a friend after his dentists appointment.

There is also FictionPress for Original Content that isn't published for those who don't want to/don't have the spare cash for books.

:| Now go die in a fire. >_>

12. Chaoticblues

Chaoticblues Professor

Guess I got beaten to the punch. Now all that's left for me to do is to find a program that filters slash/yaoi so that I never have to accidentally read their horrific summaries ever again.

13. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

I set up a play list on my iPod for the chapter and make sure its in the right order, like a soundtrack. Sometimes I just have one song on endless repeat for the entire book.

• Wastelands of Time - the entire Exogenesis: Symphony by Muse
    • Denarian Trilogy - Bat out of Hell by Meatloaf
    • Anything fluffy - You Are My Sunshine sung by Elizabeth Mitchell, Release Me by Oh Laura, With or Without You by U2
    • Anything Comedic - Sanford & Son theme song
    • Anything to do with the dark arts/evil things - This Moment by Disturbed, Born Like This by Three Days Grace, Becoming the Bull by Atreyu, King Nothing by Metallica

14. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I don't use anything beyond the DLP theme for Stylish. I need nothing else, really. Though maybe ADBlockPlus could be useful. FFN has reduced its own ad-block feature from three days to one day.

I guess not enough people were generating money through ad-clicks.

15. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Same, though I think I'll try the chapter viewing and widescreen scripts.

16. neopyro

neopyro Third Year

Oh man! These make ff.net almost readable!

Thanks!

17. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    DLP has a solution for you. Click Me

18. disturbed27

disturbed27 Professor

This doesn't work with current firefox. Does anyone have a slash blocker that does?

19. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  20. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter