1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What happens at your drawing board?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Sacrosanct, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I've only published about half of what I've written, but I brainstorm outlines in my notebooks during boring college courses. I have nearly 40 pages of outlines for just my HP/RR story. while I might not use all my ideas, it helps to make sure I do not contradict myself. I generally write the major plotpoints out and character development, as well as spell lists, but some of the minor details and segues/transitions are done on the fly. I pretty much write down ideas as I think of them, so most of my outlines are not necessarily in chronological order. The hard part is putting it into actual writing and conveying the story and message properly, which I have trouble doing and I tend to be quite long winded, along with finding enough time to actual follow through and write all my ideas.

2. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

Firstly, I would like to say thank you for the overwhelming response. On to the second page in 12 hours! :awesome

To answer my own question, for my shorts I think of a climax, then I write a line or two that have to be included as I believe that those few sentences encompass what I am trying to portray in the story.

For this one those few lines were -

"It was a silent war. A cold war. Sitting there, on the cold hard steps littered with cigarette butts and lolly wrappers. It was dark now, I was one of the last."

I then use those lines to figure out what the tone is going to be and write the climax. Then I write a short li'l thing, usually 300-400w, from the perspective of the main character if it's 1stPOV and a 3rdPOV description of the main character if it's a narrative.

^I use all of that to "get in the mood". Not THAT kind of mood, perv.

Then I add some stuff before and after the climax that makes it comprehensive, instead of a random action scene.

I've tried this approach for longer pieces but it failed like the Aryan race failed.

7ate9
    I CAN plan ahead, but it falls apart after a short time planning. I'm not lacking in ideas either, I have a pretty good idea for an original fiction and a good one for a fanfic as well.

I'll post them on the Plot Bunny Thread after this.

Perspicacity

I've done a few of these kinds of threads, haven't I? I hope none of you mind but I'm an uncertain teenager new to writing on a forum full of adults that have been writing for longer than I have and have done much better stuff and I think it would be a waste if I didn't exploit you all ruthlessly.

Be glad it's advice I'm asking for, not transplantable organs or you'd soon find yourself conned out of a kidney. ;)

3. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

I usually find these questions hard to answer because I don't really know what my creative process is. I get a scene in my head and I start writing it and go from there.

^Yeah, I know what you mean, Vash. Whenever I've really plotted out stories they've failed because I've already told the story to myself and it's boring as death to write it out. It's infinitely more enjoyable not knowing where something is going.

4. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

I have taken all your advice on-board and have gone for something that is completely different from everyone else's methods; voice memos.

Pretentious, I know but it's perfect for me.

I'll be posting my fic on WbA soon. So keep an eye out.

5. neren

neren Slug Club Member

Voice memos?

I create a scene in my head and I'll tweak it and such and if I like it, I tell myself this is what I'll write. Or if I have a line that I like and can spin the plot to fit it or generate a plot from it, I'll do such a thing. Like with my signatures, for example. I knew Tonks would be missing for a reason and then I created a line which would get me there.

Of course, four/five chapters in now, I have to write things down so I remember what to use and how it will get there.

So really, I imagine, draw upon previous knowledge, make shit up, and write it down for good measure.