1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. X Kronos X8

X Kronos X8 Fifth Year

Honestly, if Calypso really is a Legilmens, there is a rather good chance of her using it on Harry in the past. What I really want to see is Harry's reaction to the fact, if that is indeed the way Santi is going with the story.

Personally, I did enjoy the chapter, and am curious as to what Mr. Rosier is planning. Hope Harry goes the extra mile, and learns Legilmency along with Occulmency.

2. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

I don't know enough about Rosier Sr. to know what's going on in his head, but it keeps feeling like he's trying to subtly push Harry down a darker path. For what purpose, once again I could only guess at.

I'm gonna echo some others here and say that forcing him to learn Occulmency to progress the plot seems a little silly, but at least the idea came from someone other than Harry himself or one of his friends.

Also, I think a preemptive congratulation is in order for Harry surpassing Grindelwald's record. Maybe, maybe not, but I've got a good feeling that he's about to make history. If it does happen, I can't wait to find out how his parents react...

3. Tylendel

Tylendel Seventh Year

I liked the update.

Harry learning occlumency look like another one of Rosier’s test to see if Harry is worth his and his daughter time. The plot thickens.

I would, however, be a little annoyed if mindscape or self-maintained psychic walls made their apparition. But I’m a little biased, I see occlumency as a defensive ability allowing it’s user to deflect mind probes instead of a shield stopping anything coming at it. It is only my opinion on the subject, so it does not really matter in the end.

I wonder if Rosier senior really wants to push Harry on a darker path or just see a wizard develop is full potential without moral limits, like Dumbledore, (a wizard who will probably join his bloodline) or both.

4. Hw597

Hw597 Seventh Year

Over my time I have read some great ideas for the mechanism of a counter curse, cancelling the effect of a curse seems a little tame to me.

I remember from More Equal Than You Know by Obsidian Warlock he used the idea that a counter curse interrupted the casting of a specific spell and left a split second "down time" openining in a duel which usually ended it. The counter had to be cast with such strict timing that your only chance of getting one out before your opponent finished the spell was by anticipation rather than reaction. A very high risk strategy all in all, if your wrong your pissed. Legilimency naturally helped alot.

Another interesting idea I remember (though unfortunately not from where) Involved having a sheild up already, then imbuing it with a counter curse as it was struck. This significatly reduced the drain on the shield and was the method for sheilding higher level spells. I found the idea well thought out. It neatly solves the whole, protego for everything issue, which authors usually answer by having various level shields. To be honest I find that solution illogical; surely a wizard would simply learn and master the highest level sheild they could and use that for everything.

5. Cappadocian

Cappadocian Fifth Year

Pip pop, update, bop.

As to the contents of the update, I still hold out hope she's just using the data to make punnett squares. In general it's fairly well written chapter, depiction of the actual dark curse was rather interesting, and fairly believable. One and a half thumbs up.

6. disturbed27

disturbed27 Professor

Good chapter. I think you should make a separate thread.

7. aaltwal

aaltwal Auror

Most likely it's because of Harry's family's closeness to Dumbledore that he has to learn Occlumency,

I'm very interested in regards to this and Harry's aptitude for it. He doesn't have a curse scar, and he's more focused and organized than his brother. It will be funny though for Dumbledore himself to teach him the art, or possibly Snape at the request of Lily.

Overall, great update.

8. Speakers

Speakers Backtraced

I doubt Dumbledore or Lily will help or even encourage Harry to learn occlumency.

9. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

The funny thing is that Dumbledore is a master of the art, and I wouldn't be surprised if Lily were well-versed in it either. Gotta protect your secret-keeper's location and identity, right? All he has to do is say that he wants to protect his mind so 'Professor' Rosier doesn't try to pry info out of it about Nathan.

10. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

I think that a true punnett square is unlikely, especially at her age, I am rather conflicted on her true motivations.

Since your new and posted that this was updated on ff.net, I'm going to assume that you don't know this is in the WBA forum and is up to chapter 9 there (you'll just have to search that thread for the actual chapter sections).

11. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Can a Secret Keeper's secret be 'pried' out of their mind? I always figured the strength of the charm lay in the secret having to be willingly given.

12. aaltwal

aaltwal Auror

I'd like to think so, that's why they're called secret keepers, their identities should be kept secret, and no one except those who will benefit from the Fidelius charm knows about the person.

Sirius' plan to change with Peter at the last minute in canon was logically brilliant. No one would target poor Pettigrew, as long as he stayed out of the war and kept a low profile.

13. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Wasn't this explicitly stated? I thought that was the entire reason that they thought Sirius was the traitor (well aside from the whole exploding street thing which came later on). It's been forever since I've read the books so I really don't remember.

14. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Not the secret itself. I said protect the secret-keeper. IIRC the secret could be tortured out of someone if their identity was known, which is why Sirius switched in the first place. But then not many people would have the chance to see Lily, much less read her mind. Nevertheless, maybe they knew they'd have to leave the house sometimes and didn't want to risk it.

They obviously knew they had to keep the keeper's identity a secret. So why wouldn't they learn Occlumency to assist them to that end?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  15. Cappadocian

Cappadocian Fifth Year

Oh... Thank you very much.

16. Dirk Diggory

Dirk Diggory Seventh Year

I hate this line of thinking. Big fucking whoop, some other fics did it. Who reads a high quality story monitoring for any storylines that may have appeared in other stories already?

He can buy a fucking magical trunk and train in it for all I care as long as Santi makes it fun to read.

I suggest keeping discussion in here. There will be a hell of a lot less if it's moved to a separate thread and it's not like it's that hard to find the new chapters.

17. cataclysim

cataclysim Second Year

Great update.It would be interesting to see your take on occlumency, what type you would implement because i read shit loads of theory from different fics and hope you are able to balance it. As far as learning learning Legilimency goes i think its a natural step from occlumency as the two are related. There has been no update on the animagus front, hoping that Harry will complete it by the end of the year.

I was recently going through the previous chapters of the story and didn't find anything related to magical power in it. Has Santi posted any theories on it or not?

18. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

It was already stated that he won't finish the Animagus transformation this year.

Harry probably won't get interested in Leglimency until he hits a wall in his dueling skills.

Since he learned how to deflect curses, that is going to be a while. Unless Harry becomes interested in dueling tournaments.

19. Speakers

Speakers Backtraced

Yeah but seeing how they never even told him the entire story behind the philosopher's stone, I don't think they'll worry about their secrets leaking from Harry. They'll probably just cut him off from his brother more if he says that, or at least Dumbledore will.

And can you imagine Harry asking his mother "Oh by the way mum, I need some occlumency training. You know Durmstang has some Death Eaters that mind rape me some times for info on the BWL. One of them is a Professor 'Rosier', you might have heard of him? No biggie though, I still love it there and love you too. And of course I'm not learning Dark Arts much." I still don't see how he can get training out of his parents, they'd rather just pull him out of Durmstrang.

20. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

Did I miss something? When has Harry been cut off from his brother?

Not open for further replies.