1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Well, yeah. At 17 she'd be an adult, not a child, in terms of their laws methinks.

But none of it matters particularly -- Santi has proven to be a talented writer and I suspect that the tournament will be an interesting year regardless of whatever happens. Others have said this as well.

I like all the discussion in this thread though. If I were Santi I'd probably take it as a compliment, though I can't be sure.

On another note, I was sort of hoping to see a powerful Harry emerge that could stand with Dumbledore or Riddle in terms of power... but I was reading back through the actual library thread, and Santi seems to have said that just isn't going to happen. Interesting. I can't wait to see where it goes ;)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  2. GiantMonkeyMan

GiantMonkeyMan High Inquisitor

A part of me hopes that Harry doesn't get entered into the tournament and has to choose between helping his brother and the first real friend he ever had.

3. Spunika

Spunika First Year

I'm really hoping for a Fleur Vs. Calypso cat fight over Harry

4. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

The arguing that goes on weeks after the last update isn't done to help the author; it isn't commenting on anything the author has already submitted, any question he wants answered or as far as I can tell, anything helpful at all. It's just a few posters killing time, and everyone else's sanity as well.

I'm all for allowing people to post in this thread, I think it's to the author's advantage. But - and this is ironic, coming from me - some people just need to shut the fuck up, because nobody cares about what you think should happen. We'll comment on what the Santi actually writes, and in the meantime the mindless conjecturing has to stop.

5. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

you know actually we have good basis for that kind thing. Harry dates Fleur in 4th year. Calypso becomes jealous etc.

Q: Is there going to be a romance in this story?

6. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

If your sanity is challenged by the fact that you have to scroll down the screen more times than you usually would, then something's already wrong. I originally felt the same way, but then I got used to the fact that nine chances out of ten this story is not being updated when there are new posts.

I think it would be interesting to read, for once, a Dark!Harry that isn't also a Powerful!Harry. In my mind, it would draw similarities to many video game's perspectives of necromancers, who usually can't summon dinosaurs and vikings but only rotting corpses, and yet are still considered very dangerous.

Well damnit, now all I want to read is a necromancer!Harry, and there aren't any that I like that were posted in a topic with a similar title.

If Harry somehow makes it out of Durmstrang without any long-lasting commitments (marriage, a job offer, death), I wonder what he would do/would want to do.

7. EinStern

EinStern Seventh Year

Considering that Hermione is implied to have some attraction towards Harry, and also that Calypso has a not-so-subtle crush on Harry...

Take a wild guess. Or apply logic. Whichever. ;)

8. gbbz

gbbz Professor

You think so? I interpreted it as an opportunity to converse with an intellectual equal, also it allows for indirect Harry/Nathan(or Harry/Hogwarts) interaction (i.e. Ford Anglia incident).
    Can't see how it can be viewed as an implication of H/Hr.

9. Sigurd

Sigurd DA Member

I take it you mean incredibly-subtle, because the only whiff of something like that I got was when Harry made the crack about Beauxbatons getting all the pretty girls and Calypso taking offense to that. All the secret stuff Calypso is doing is just unfathomable to me; I'll just wait until Santi makes it more clear instead of assuming it's some crazy stalker thing.

10. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

Calypso also burned the letter from Hermione. However, it seems she's tried to isolate Harry from almost everyone around him, so that doesn't necessarily mean she did it for romantic/crush reasons.

On Harry/Fleur, I think the Santi said at the beginning of the story he considered it but couldn't make it work with the plot.

On Harry/Hermione, the only strong hint I've seen was that Santi named Hermione's parents Dan and Emma, which usually foreshadows H/Hr. Personally, I don't have a problem with Hermione and can enjoy a well done H/Hr story (it should go without saying that few of them qualify as well done), but naming her parents Dan and Emma hurts immersion for me. When I'm reading a story and see Dan and Emma, it immediately takes me out of the story and makes me think of the actor/actress, plus it tells me the probable endgame pairing which I'd prefer not to know.

Don't get me wrong, if Santi wants to make the story H/Hr I strongly encourage him to stick with it. Stories get finished when the author writes what they want to write, it's only the quality we should try and improve. I've seen authors lose interest after they were persuaded to change a pairing or plot development they wanted to write and the stories become abandoned. I'd rather that didn't happen here.

Of course, it's also possible Santi is playing a small joke on H/Hr shippers, or just giving a shout out to a favorite author or story.

11. Mutt

Mutt High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

That's where that came from? It seems so obvious now, I'm surprised I never connected the dots before. Then again, I don't pay that much attention to the movies.

I don't really think that foreshadows H/Hr, though. It really has become their fanon names. I've read quite a few stories that weren't shipped H/Hr that used those names.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  12. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

This story has foreshadowed dick-all in terms of pairings. The only concrete pairings are Lily/James and Viktor/Kira.

Calypso got testy about the Beauxbatons comment because she didn't want to be considered (relatively) unattractive. She's also focused on Harry because she started out spying on him, but is starting to like him as someone who doesn't judge her for being a Rosier. Hermione hangs with Nathan and Ron (dumbasses) and her peers put her down for being smart, so Harry is simply a kindred spirit. That's all.

You nigs need to get off that fanon shit, where even the slightest shared characteristics between a male and female character = romance.

13. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Come on, Blaise, a relationship between two people cannot POSSIBLY be anything other than romantic or antagonistic...

Actually, when viewed in this paradigm, Harry/Draco is really just a poor author's attempt to make the two something other than enemies...hrm...

14. Red Wizard

Red Wizard DA Member DLP Supporter

I'm actually curious if Viktor will break up with Kira and try to be with Hermione.

15. Azeld

Azeld First Year

Doesn't seem to be in Viktors character to toss away the person who's supported him the longest without a good reason.

Maybe next year if Viktor manages the animagus transformation and Kira cant it could cause a divide between them.

16. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

Couldn't a possible reason for Victor going with Hermione be that Kira didn't go to Hogwarts and since he needed to have somebody to go to the Yule Ball with he chose her?

17. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Oh look, a lurkers first post and it's more intelligent than half the other posters in the thread.

Sure, it's possible, but the Yule Ball takes place over the Christmas Holiday/Break so I'd imagine that's the type of thing that she'd manage to make it to England for (it's implied that her family is one of those old money types). Also, just because something happened in canon doesn't mean that it's going to be happening here. Those (not so) little metaphorical butterflies are flapping their little wings at this point.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  18. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

Maybe if you want to have some kind of slavish and strict adherence to canon, but why the fuck do you want that? Engineering some sort of arbitrary reason for Kira to be either broken up with Viktor or to not go to Hogwarts deprives Santi of an established character who has interactions and a relationship with Harry to use in his story. Why would anyone do this for a little bit of canon compliance that would probably have a very small or nonexistent impact on the story.

Viktor went to the ball with Hermione for one reason, and one reason only. For all her faults as a writer JKR knew who she was writing for. Her audience had a lot of female readers. Readers who identify with and imagine themselves as the female lead, Hermione. So when Hermione (the reader) was revealed to actually be quite pretty and being taken to the majestic Yule Ball by an international superstar, all the little 13 year old girls with shitty self-esteem went "I FUCKING LOVE THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS", it's also why there are (checks, shudders and dies) 28k 'Dramione' stories out there, 9k Snape/Hermione stories and why Hermione is paired with pretty much EVERY fucking character in the fandom.

As Santi is not writing to pad the egos of 13 year old girls, this is a non-issue. Not important at all, just a deviation from the canon. Because it would be extraneous and unimportant that Viktor had a pre-established girlfriend in canon, and prevent JKR from doing the ol' Hermione insert. However in this story, Viktor having a pre-established girlfriend IS important because it adds some depth to a main character.

19. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

I'm starting to think that this thread operates on a cycle because I could've sworn someone said just about the same thing as Ceebee before.

20. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I'm glad someone else has realized this.

Anyone else remember back when we had that 'overrated fanfic thread' and someone brought this fic up because it's had so many posts but so little content? It's not because the fic's overrated. Fuck that shit, it's underrated. It's not even because everyone argues about the most arbitrary, retarded shit (*Cough*Nathan's Godfather*Cough*)

It's because people repeat everything a dozen times. Then the thread gets advances a few pages, and someone else who hasn't read any of it repeats the same shit, and the cycle continues.

*I'd like to note that this was not directed at Ceebee in particular. For that matter, it's not directed at them at all.

Not open for further replies.