1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dragon Age 2 Announced.

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Gizmore, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Myst

Myst Headmaster

Combat is the same on the PC. For the Consoles, they're blending the hack n slash with tactical RPG. For the PC, it will remain very very similar to origins.

As for the Quanri... it is one of the changes that they have announced through Game Informer.

2. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I went looking after I read this this morning, the devs have already said no tactical/iso camera for the PC, they want to keep it more 3rd person. We'll see what happens, but I have low hopes now for it, especially since the dev's have said it sold mostly on console, and they'll go where the audience is.

3. Trafalgar

Trafalgar First Year

They went back the no overhead camera for PC's.

here is an article from 1up describing the tactical camera in the PC version.

4. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I cried inside when I read that article on a gaming preview. Fast paced action oriented combat? What the FUCK Bioware? I goddamn fucking loved the DA:O combat system. If they fuck that up, I will be fucking pissed.

5. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

While I'm not so much a fan of 1up after how they screwed the pooch on FFXIII, thanks for the link. At least it gives us a few more quotes from the developers.

It sounds like they took the view of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" for the PC version mostly, which is great. i don't want to play the console version, I'm still mostly a PC guy for my RPGs.

I'm still worried about that cell shading and cartoony bullshit though. The BIGGEST problem I had with Fable was the design. I can't get into a story if my character looks like a Saturday morning cartoon character.

Also, the idea of the story being "retold" bothers me. How can there be any tension in this damn story if it's being told past tense?

Lots of chances for fail here Bioware. Please don't ruin my fanboi love for you =/.

6. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

Apparently we don't have to wait till DA:2 to find out what happened with Morrigan.

A new DLC for Dragon Age called Witch Hunt is going to be release which will explain the final climax and finish the story.

Source

7. ashura

ashura Third Year DLP Supporter

I hope "concludes the storyline ... of Morrigan" doesn't also conclude god-baby's story. I was looking forward to my DA ending choice resulting in a lot of chaos and WTF-ing from the Chantry.

8. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Slightly extended trailer is slightly extended!

Can't wait for the sep 7 DLC, I just finished Leliana's Song and absolutely loved it. Hopefully Morrigan's DLC will be good too.

9. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Ohhhhh, sweet! In some ways I like the original better but this was pretty damn nice all the same. Best new moment is definitely the lightning bolt.

10. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The graphics really don't concern me, so long as they don't look like they're from the N64 or something, and I didn't think the camera was an essential feature. I will be concerned if it turns out they're going to alter the gameplay for the PC version too, but so far they've only mentioned changes for the console version.

11. Nocdia

Nocdia Sixth Year

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/3064634
    Useful forum page filled with all the confirmed information about Dragon Age Origins 2, including some of the potential companions, contains links to back up the information as well. There's also some pretty cool concept art and screen shots.

Click-Concept art of Hawke casting the fire spell in the trailer, or at least a similar one.

12. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

So you can play as a gay, but you can't have incest relationship with your sister? It's a serious case of discrimination ;) .

13. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

I've actually played DA:O and DA:OA on console - is there that much difference between the computer version? (Aside from the interface which looks different on screenshots).

14. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Occasionally, Varric will be "embellishing" his retelling, which will result in exaggerated combat for the duration of the sequence (until Cassandra calls him out on it)

Might mean the trailer we saw didn't really happen that way?

15. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

It was very hard to resist my need to be extremely sarcastic here; however I'm an extremely nice person, so I managed. Anyway, yes, there are differences. Many, many differences.

For starters the console versions are dumbed down. I'm not saying this as some kind of insult either. The xbox/playstation are by their very nature just plain *bad* platforms for a tactical/traditional party based RPG. Bioware had to lower the difficultly significantly to allow console players a chance.

The graphics are just plain shit on the consoles when compared to the PC. Not much more to say here.

The consoles have significant framerate issues. Not so on any even moderately decent PC.

Camera position. In PC you can zoom in as close, or as far as you want from your characters, from a third person perspective, all the way to a top down tactical perspective (almost required for harder fights). It's probably the most missed feature for console players.

I'm sure there are others, but I think I hit the major points.

It's a CGI trailer that will not appear anywhere in the game. Considering Bioware's history of this kind of thing (see the first DA:O trailer), I highly doubt it's going to do anything more than slightly reflect the games content.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  16. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

I meant that they might tell the flashbacks through CGI and that's how he embellishes it.

17. ashura

ashura Third Year DLP Supporter

Doubtful considering Hawke's appearance is customizable.

18. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

No, you play the flashbacks. That's the entire gameplay I believe.

19. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

necro'd for this.

Bioware is really starting to make me nervous.

No, it's not great that you've made it into an action RPG. I admit, it took me many hours to get into DA:O's combat system, but at the end I really liked it. It's very rewarding, and very different when compared to say-Mass Effect.

Honestly, my love for Bioware is well known. I'm an unabashed fanboi of the company, so I'll still buy the game. My only hope is that they don't fuck it up.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  20. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

lolwut

Bioware did the exact same thing with ME2 - they simplified the fuck out of it to try to draw in new players, because they know they've got all the fans of the first one hooked already. Blame their motherfucking Electronic Arts overlords.

Interesting historical fact - EA bought Bioware and Pandemic shortly after the two merged to become one company.

A year after EA acquired Pandemic, Pandemic's Australian offices were shut down and the employees downsized. Within the next six months, all of Pandemic's offices were shut down, with 228 of 263 Pandemic employees laid off and the rest absorbed into EA. Other companies that have got this treatment over the years are Origin Systems, who made Wing Commander and Ultima; Bullfrog, who made the Dungeon Keeper and Syndicate series; Westwood, of Command and Conquer fame, which has turned into complete shite lately; and Maxis, who made the Sim-whatever series and the Sims, the latter of which is still going strong but hasn't had the Maxis brand appear on it since 2006.

Being bought out by EA is the kiss of fucking death. It's only a matter of time before Bioware's games become shit. Don't get me wrong, I hope it doesn't happen to Dragon Age and Mass Effect, but twenty years of history says that the games are just going to keep getting worse.