1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry/Lavender...

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Jormungandr, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Yes, I know I know, before anyone types it: "WON WON!"/"HAR HAR!"

We all know that Lavender went trailer trash in sixth year, and before that she wasn't that much of...well, she was an airhead. Pretty much simple.

I recently read, however, a small piece that actually portrayed her post-DH character in a sort of redeeming light - http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6552899/1/Road_Trip Begins about 3/4ths of the way down.

So, I was wondering if there were any Harry/Lavender centric fic's out there that either have Lavender become more jaded or cynical post-Hogwarts, or have her developing into a sort of decent character before sixth year's trailer trash episode (where basically everything, not just her character, was written like very bad fan fiction).

I've searched fanfiction.net and the Library, but I'm hard pressed to find any.

Can someone please help me?

2. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I wrote a TGYH story that had Harry/Lavender as primary pairing. It's not much, but something.

3. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

Among the Colours is pretty much the only Harry/Lavender fic I've read that I'd call decent, it's only 7k words long, abandoned and quite angsty on top of that, but readable.

4. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

* blazzano tries the story Trig mentioned, Among the Colours

I don't know, man. Here, let me list some of what stuck out for me. Ultimately a waste of time, but I needed to get it off my chest even if nobody reads it:

1. Ron and Hermione "don't really know" Harry - Ron being "too thick," Hermione not being a "genius where it really mattered." Lavender, of course, only needed five minutes to get to the heart of Harry's problems.
    2. Harry was able to "be himself" with Lavender, which of course means that they sat near each other, doing nothing.
    3. Lavender's "aureate eyes."
    4. Lavender is the top female student of the year.
    5. She knew right away that Harry didn't put his name in the Goblet of Fire.
    6. Lavender is a true Seer
    7. Became involved with Seamus to "protect" Harry...from her sphere of gossip or whatnot, I dunno.
    8. Taught Harry how to dance before the Yule Ball, which of course he purposely didn't take advantage of at the actual dance, stepping on Parvati's toes for her (Lavender's?) sake.
    9. Had a vision of Voldemort's resurrection the night before the final task
    10. Masters Occlumency over the summer
    11. Fantasizes about using "grey magic, like Fiendfyre" against the offices of the Daily Prophet
    12. Harry at 15 is less than a year from gaining the "Potter Lordship"
    13. "She'd gotten the best genes from both sides of her family, the perfect pureblood daughter. At fifteen she was tall, almost five-ten, and her legs seemed to go on forever...Her waist-length hair was honey-blonde, as deep and warm as her aureate eyes. Her skin was smooth, like peaches, but a smattering of freckles leant character to her face."
    14. "The lack of pretention, the lack of make-up and glamours, the rawness of her beauty, she thought as she stood before the mirror in her pyjamas. The pyjama bottoms hung low on her hips, clinging to her curved bottom and fit thighs. The matching tank-top was low-cut, and clung to her skin, showing off her ample breasts and flat stomach. There were some things that Hermione would never understand, and this was one of them. Yes, she was vain—admittedly so. However, a witch's magic strengthened when she was in peak condition."
    15. "Lavender knew that Hermione and Ginny were plotting to get Ginny and Harry together."
    16. "Perhaps, on some level, Hermione realised that she was inferior to Lavender in every way, but refused to recognise this."
    17. Lavender legilimenses her way into Harry's mind while he's having a Voldemort-induced nightmare, where she ends up making a "swear on my magic" Vow for Harry's sake.
    18. Voldemort: "He loves her, you know. Lily Potter, his mother. And you, Lavender Brown, yes, he loves you as well...All the flowers in Potter's life will wither away and die. I'll make sure of that."

That's a LOT of horrible bits, for just 7,000 words. Oddly enough, this sort of super!Lavender wouldn't be so bad if she was more of a villain, IMO.

5. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

I agree with all of these points and that's why this fic is barely readable, but ultimately the author tries to do the right thing: adding depth to an otherwise totally shallow (canon and fanon) character.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  6. Mutt

Mutt High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Since when is it a good idea to turn a flat character into a Mary Sue?

"Adding depth" to Lavender like this is nothing more than the author hijacking a canon name so their self insert seems more legit.

It's really no more than a Harry/Daphne or Harry/FemBlaise, except the chick is a Gryffindor, so instead of being a "Pureblood Ice Queen" she's a Gryffindor.

And you can be sure that whatever sterotype goes along with that will be her only defined quality.

:facepalm

@Ichor: It'd be nice to find a decent written Lavender, but I don't think you'll have much luck. It's rare to find a good Harry/Gryffindor-Girl-Who-Isn't-Ginny-Or-Hermione

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  7. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

8. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Was a good one, Pers. The Polyjuice clinch at the end was a bit of a surprise, though.

Already read this one, and although the author did try and introduce some more character depth to Lavender, the way that it was done made the end result cringe worthy.

Wanker was quite funny, especially when Ron and Ginny were mentioned to be throwing hissy fits near the end (him because of Harry being with his ex, and her because she was trying to attract Harry by not trying to attracting Harry, as in Reverse Psychology).

I sadly agree. Maybe I should try and introduce a more jaded/cynical and developed Lavender in that Event Horizon style A/U plot bunny I'm fleshing out?

9. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

That Harry/Lavender story was pretty boring to my taste.

10. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I concur - although I don't think Lavender is the right choice for this prompt. From what I know of her from canon, anyone who uses the pet name "Won-Won" should die a horrible death. Perhaps that werewolf bite she suffered from in DH let her bleed to death or something along those lines.

The rest of the tower though, are ripe for the taking. I especially advocate the use of Alicia Spinnet. I can't recall any quality fics that feature her. Or hell, have Harry go back to Hogwarts for a 7th year and tap some younger girls, such as Demelza or Natalie.

11. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

I don't have a problem with Harry/Lavender beyond there not being enough well-written ones. That's why I'm totally going to go for it in one of my upcoming stories. If it's well-written? We'll see. I think I'll delete "Won-Won" from existence by having an alternate sixth year backstory. See? +1 already!

This. Demelza and Natalie need love boning some fic love too.

12. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Nip this characteristic in the bud by making events in an A/U story change her character before it reaches this stage, eg, being mauled by Grayback or her suffering another such dark, life/personality changing experience. Alternatively, use same aforementioned element to develop her character into something other than trailer-trash post-sixth year.

I was thinking about going with a reuse of the canon 'werewolf maul' seen in the Battle for Hogwarts making her into a more jaded, damaged and cynical character, but what about another dark creature/experience, instead?

Dementors made Dudley change -eventually- by showing him what/who he was, and after reflection he vowed to change...so, maybe another Dark Creature could have the same sort of effect on Lavender? Maybe a banshee's wail?

Guess I'll have to dig through European mythology...