1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Sins of a Solar Empire Special [Limited Time]

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Antivash, May 28, 2010.

1. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

[Sauce]

$4 for SoaSE, for anyone interested. >_>

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2010
  2. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

3. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yeah >_> Just copied link from reddit. :\ Fucking fags..

4. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Paying...for a GAME? I'm calling shenanigans on this one.

Seriously though, if I didn't already have this gold bullion of a game already and didn't know how to operate torrents, I'd totally buy it.

5. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

It's an incredibly fun game, especially if you play it multiplayer (and there's more'n a couple people on IRC who do), but I'd recommend you keep an eye out for the Trinity pack on special instead. Entrenchment and Diplomacy really opened the game up.

6. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Just bought the game, thanks. It says I need to install impulse or something, which I am doing now.

Played a few single player games. They take so long! Anybody up for a game tonight?

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  7. Midknight

8. Vengashii

Vengashii Banned

This game is one giant steaming pile of rhino crap.

9. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Sounds like someone just got his arse handed to him by the AI. Forget to build infrastructure on colonised planets?

10. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Saw the Trinity special for sale at Target today.

11. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Channel #dow is the IRC channel of choice for Dawn of War, Starcraft 2, and Sins of a Solar Empire.

Come play.

12. Midknight

Buuuuummmmmmpppp.

I finally installed it, and am dicking around with it now. Should I play vanilla, or one of the other two to learn the game? Any tips?

13. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

So, I've been playing Sins lately, and is it just me, or is it really, really boring? It seems that whenever I get into battles, when I'm winning, the AI just jumps to another system. I've seriously been in the position in which I've had a giant fleet, controlled every gate in the system, but I couldn't nail one fucker because he kept running away.

14. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

Two words: Phase Inhibitors.

15. ReverseSide

ReverseSide Slug Club Member

Vanilla is pretty boring after a while. There's no real need to play vanilla to learn the game play. It's very intuitive. Play through the tutorial if you really are stuck. Diplomacy is by far the most engaging because alliances will actually benefit you here (and it includes entrenchment - which obviously gives you more defensive options). Diplomacy + Distant Stars mod is the greatest way to play, imho. It tweaks the game to make each race more balanced, while emphasizing their unique traits (and makes the game much more complex), adds many new types of worlds (and world sizes) to the mix. It also makes pirates useful even in late game as a tool to inflict damage on your enemies. Sound/particles effects are upgraded as well. It also gives you an extra speed setting (fastest) which can seriously amp up the excitement level of the game.

Also, get Galaxy Forge if you want to make your own maps. There's a helpful tutorial to go along with it. There's a folder labeled extra, and in it is another folder called Galaxy Forge if you download Distant Stars that you can copy and paste into the vanilla GF to make use of the bunch of extra world-types and bonuses.

16. Midknight

The rage I've been having over this is epic to no end.

Also pirates, I'll fight off any attack on my home world and expansion, but suddenly I'll have 30 fucking ships pop up and rape me. I read that if I put a bounty on the other guy it'll make the pirates fuck with him more, so I need to look at that.

Also, it seems very boring at times. I'm running around doing a buncha stuff, then blam, I'm out of stuff to do. I find myself running out of material stupid fast, and hitting the building limits within a short time frame, and it's frustrating the hell out of me.

Anyone got ideal research orders for TEC? And I'm gonna look at mods, the graphics are decent, but I'd like them better. I need to figure out what exactly I can use since I've got the Trinity version off of PB

17. ReverseSide

Pretty easy to mod. Just place w/e mods you're using in C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Ironclad Games\Sins of a Solar Empire\Mods-Diplomacy v1.01. There's no DRM so you can mod it even if you got it off PB (just remember to get the 1.01 diplomacy patch).

Like I said before, Distant Stars is pretty epic (though if you hate pirates now...)

Yeah, putting bounties on other guys will make the pirates attack them. It becomes sort of a bidding war.

As for TEC build/research orders... it depends. If you go for early offense (the enemy home world is close to yours) research the Javelin frigate, grab the Sova Carrier (research embargo and use it on the enemy home) and pump out those Javelins. When you encounter an enemy Capital Ship, run rings around them with the Sova (letting the bombers/fighters kill of the Cap ship) and use the Javelins to take out any other targets. The problem with this tactic is that your ships (TEC) are durable, but not great on the attack. So if you're facing Advent and they've got their carrier cap then you'll lose - unless you have enough Javelins to turn the tide.

If you want to expand fast (larger maps), grab an Akkan (which is dead useful) and use its colonize ability to take planets. You have to be careful of masses of long-range frigates or carriers or any combat base cap ship - they'll kill off your Akkan fast. Give it some Cobalt support, and send it of to colonize as much as possible. Research the trade port and build them where ever you can. Stacking them also works. Also research anything in the civilian tree to lower costs or increase income. This will boost your economy hardcore. Remember to develop your worlds otherwise you'll lose income. Now just pump out ship after ship and overwhelm the enemy with numbers. The problem with this method is that you need to buy 200-300 crys almost immediately (in order to grab the 4th civilian infrastructure research on your home planet), and it relies on you not having a serious engagement with the enemy, else you'll get wiped out.

The Kol and Dunov are useless as your first flagship. The Kol is particularly useless until late game, when you have to clear the skies of huge swarms of fighters fast. The Dunov (with shield restore), on the other hand, is invaluable as anything other than a first cap ship.

Remember to put on of your constructors immediately on the cap factory, and another on crys when you start. Starbases at choke points, use pirate raids to gain exp etc.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  18. Midknight

I grabbed this off PB, and it didn't do anything. It installed, but didnt show on the version numbers that it'd changed, and when I tried to start Diplomacy it asked for a key.
    About to reinstall 7, so I'll give this a go later

19. ReverseSide

Use [link removed]in conjunction with the skidrow release. It should work fine (no key needed).

Edit: Whoops, sorry.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  20. Midknight

Yep that's the exact one I used

Edit: I removed your link. Although come to think of it, I didnt update it first, so it probably failed updating the cracked .exe's. Will try later. Remember, no linking of warez sites, even if we're allowed to talk about it, lol.