1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Crysis 2

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by JohnThePyro, Feb 2, 2011.

1. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

2. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Bad thing though is they're sticking it out on consoles too, daming it in my eyes. I hope I'm wrong I really do, but anything they develop for both at the same time, or port a game to pc, the controls, even in a game that previously had perfect controls, get shot.

I don't like the move to a city, limiting the epic views you get in a jungle, and the wide open expanses. Prototype was awesome, probably the best sandbox in a city game ever made for me, but it was drastically limited in how far you could see. If I start to play Crysis, and there's grey fog everywhere I will rage.

I was reading an interview with the developer and got annoyed with them talking about how too many people didn't play Crysis 1 due to the graphics placing too much strain on the computers, so I'm a little nervous. When they're trying this hard to sell to everyone who will listen to them that the graphics won't suck due to console limitations... Will kill someone if the game includes the standard console tactic of the first hour is tutorial hour!

Also it's driving me nuts they keep showing pictures like this one
    http://media.bestofmicro.com/X/P/244861/original/14367_4bbf21c0a1cd7.jpg
    while trying to act like it's a screen cap of real action from the consoles. That's a movie, stop trying to pass it off like it's real gameplay.

3. w1lliam

w1lliam Groundskeeper

Hmmm, I will not be shocked if the PC version will actually need 2 580's and a Nucleur powerplant for the best settings.

4. Midknight

Won't happen. As I said they've mentioned numerous times that they got tired of hearing folks say they didnt play Crysis because their rigs couldn't handle the graphics engine.

5. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Supposedly Crytek had to work extremely hard to optimize the engine enough to use it on both of the consoles. I hope this is the case, as the first was fucking horribly done.

6. Midknight

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/crysis-2-review-demo

Hey look, there's the fog. EVERYWHERE in the distance. Showing off your engine by showing that you usually can't see more then 150 feet at a time due to fog, or building placement isn't a shining example of the engine. Those are some really well detailed cubicles to fight in though.

Edit: Only it's not fog, it's "smoke" it's glare from the sun, glare from the neon signs, etc.

Edit 2: "12-player support online"

I blame Halo for this bullshit^ A real online FPS needs to have more then 32 player support for it to be even worth calling online supported. Tribes 2, Battlefield 2, hell Tf2 just aren't as fun without the chaos of a large grouping. 2v2, 4v4, 8v8, 12v12 are modes that should be selectable, but in no way balanced around. I brought a friend over who was a raving Halo fanboy and showed him BF 2 Wake island a few years back and it broke his mind to see jets and helicopters all piloted by real people bearing down on tanks and apcs from both sides, while you still had 12 players at least on each side rolling through the jungle

I also have a problem with how twitchy the game appears to be online, I blame MW for that. A quick burst shouldn't be enough to take out someone wearing a state of the armor mobile fucking tank. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I have serious problems with the blink and you're dead rate of fire on some of the guns in these games. I prefer sniper rifles being the only one shot one kill, not having cheap ass knife throwing, and not having guns that get done killing your enemy before the left mouse button is fully depressed.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  7. Oxy

Oxy Seventh Year

I hope they won't end up with a utter crap AI again. I don't recall ever seeing a worse AI than Crysis 1. They should've fixed that abyssmal AI in the beta.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  8. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Agreed. While competitive games should always be limited to 5-6 players on each team (competitive meaning league play), pub servers are fun because of the chaos. I love my competitive 5v5/6v6 matches in games as much as anyone, but games get boring if that's all there was to them.

Really have to disagree here. I love twitch based games. I fucking hate the Halo brand of gameplay, where you can take twenty rounds to the chest and duck behind a wall to have shields regenerate.

Then again, I'm from the old Quake 3 style of things (or more recently, Urban Terror style) where a three round burst will kill you without armor, and a four round with.

Shooting at someone and having them just shrug off the damage is frustrating as all hell.

9. Midknight

Difference is though, in Quake or say BF 2, you've got at best, some bullet proof armor on. A quick 3-5 round burst from a machine gun from midrange should be enough to take you down to a sliver of life if you were at 100%, close range it should take you out. But when you're wearing a walking tank that can drop 300 feet off the top of a skyscraper and not get a chip in it, punch through walls and alien armor, being taken down by a pistol headshot, or a quick 3 round burst from long range is bullshit. It should take serious firepower to damage it extensively, not someone shooting a handgun at you.

10. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

So, a late dev build was leaked. Now I'm obviously not speaking from personal experience, because that would be wrong.

However, it seems to run fairly well for what it is. The graphics are great, but not the huge leap that Crysis 1 was.

I'm pretty disappoint so far.

11. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

Wow, you somehow forgot to mention the two most important points:

A dev build was leaked 39 days before the official release date.
    And this particular dev build includes the DRM Solidshield master key files, which only handle the online activation.

Yes, Crytek is pretty much screwed right now and their sales are probably going to take a huge hit, but after they decided to release the Xbox360 demo in advance without mentioning the PC demo at all, I really can't bring myself to care all that much.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  12. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Aye I did, quite a mistake there.

Granted, this one is nearly finished, and it's damn good actually. A guy I know :)D) has had surprisingly few problems running it.

Edit: Video isn't too bad at all.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  13. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

NECRO for the demo.

It came out last night. It's pretty much CoD with superpowers.

I liked it on one map (skyscraper I think), but the other one (pier 17?) was fucking terrible. Sky was the opposite of most modern FPS games (there were colors!), and pier was a fucking gigantic gray and brown map, with only 12 players on it.

So whether I buy this game depends entirely on what the map pool is like.

14. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Edit: After playing a little bit, I've got one thing to say.

Dear EA/Crytek:STOP WITH THE GODDAMN MOTION BLUR.

I can take a little, but this much is just painful. Too much motion blur in a game is a trigger for migraines for me, and I can't play the demo for any period of time without wanting to smack my head into a wall.