1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dragon Age 2 Announced.

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Gizmore, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

You're not even making any sense.

Baldur's Gate is the Bioware RPG.
    It's pretty much the definition of the genre.
    Multiplayer does not mean deathmatch and capture the flag, it does not turn an rpg into an fps.

The "entire point" of the genre in the first place was emulating pnp role playing. Dungeons and Dragons with the computer playing the role of Dungeon Master.

Adding multiplayer doesn't massively change the gameplay, you just assign each player with one or more of the party members to control.

2. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Ahaha, my mistake, typo lol. Current bioware RPGs* I'm specifically aiming that at DA:O, KOTOR, Mass Effect...

The problem is not with the Multiplayer itself, really. it's that Bioware apparently seems to have a very limited time frame now in churning out new games.

Hell, just imagine if they'd had to add multiplayer into DAII. If they are given the time to completely finish and polish the story, and then given time to make sure the combat and encounters are good, then hell, sure they can add multiplayer.

I don't want to see the quality of the game sacrificed to shoehorn in Multiplayer when there's so many other games out that specifically cater to multiplayer.

Lower quality in everything else is not worth the ability to play with my friends. I can do that with them in a different game.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  3. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

The only multiplayer RPGs I would particularly enjoy playing are of the tabletop variety. Bitches GTFO of my DA and back into D&D.

/my two cents

4. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Well, given enough time, I can imagine proper multiplayer in DA. Of a sort. I'm not entirely sure how they'd make the dialogue workable, but I can picture the rest.

I basically picture it as not having to micromanage retarded NPCs.

But I want the game finished and actually good. I don't want a half-completed bug-fest with multiplayer. And that's the only way I can see any of them, if released with multiplayer on a similar timeframe as the creation of DAII.

5. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

I don't hate the idea of a multiplayer RPG, but whatever Bioware makes with this idea will most assuredly be bad, mainly because it can't be an ' added multiplayer component.' It would have to be a main feature of the title. Chances are this'll just be player 1 is the main character and player 2 (3,4?) control the party members.

I imagine this is coming up because everybody (everybody being Bioware and Star Wars fanboys) is creaming their pants over The Old Republic multiplayer dialogue options. Which, in theory, could work, though we'll have to see the final product to judge.

And really, I don't think anyone should have a problem with multiplayer RPGs. Like cat says, it's about DnD without the dungeon master, which doesn't have to be the entire game wanking off to how awesome your specific character is.

6. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Oh come on. It would be impossible to create the kind of amazingness that was DA: O in a multiplayer game. Half of the fun was companions and how they interacted around you adn how the story worked with them, and that's simply not going to happen in a multiplayer version. There's a reason many professional writers were hired to write dialogue, interaction characters, etc. for DA:O. Unless you happen to have three friends who can create an original, interesting character and have it interact realistically with the other characters of the group, with consistent characterization and the willingess to be your romantic interests and who also happen to have the same exact schedule as you and are willing to play for ten hours straight. And if you do, mind telling us where to find that kind of friend?

7. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

As I said, I wouldn't expect this to work with Dragon Age. What I meant was that not every RPG has to follow that formula.

Once upon a time, a friend of mine was playing DnD with four of his buddies. I am unaware of what campaign they were playing.

One of them was playing an animated, fully self aware golem. Another one was playing one of the mages who creates them. After many altercations between the two, the golem (who always kept watch, since he didn't need to sleep) murdered the mage in his sleep and abandoned the party.

This is the essence of a role playing game. You don't need a bot to act them out, so long as you have sufficiently nerdy awesome friends.

Long story short, get more awesome friends.

8. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

Schro, this is where I think people are getting confused.

Perhaps I was wrong using BG as an example in assuming most Dragon Age fans would have played it. But it wouldn't have to be every player creating their own character. Before the game starts, you assign each player with a slot/slots in the party slot1 is the protagonist, the character that would be created in single player. The other people playing would play as the companions. Purely a GAMEPLAY change, no effect on plot. Auto-banters still happen, cutscenes remain the same, events based on group remain the same. The only change is combat.

Edit: Or as Phantom said, get more awesome friends.

9. Sarah

Sarah Daddy Issues

I just finished the game. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't overly good either. And the ending was...the ending was just a giant cliffhanger.

10. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

You called it. Apparently, after the backlash about having to pay for Cerberus Network, Bioware recently decided to reverse course, since they're now offering Cerberus Network free with the ME2 dl, with the offer extended till June.

11. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Exactly; multiplayer capability can be a big resource sink in game development, and all the money and man-hours going into making the game multiplayer won't be going into the single-player campaign.

Considering the fact that Dragon Age 2 showed all the symptoms of a horribly rushed development cycle (and, to Bioware's semi-credit, DA 2 turned out better than games with similar problems, like KotOR 2), the last thing anyone wants is for them to try to cram even more unneeded features into DA 3 that will weaken the core gameplay more. What DA 3 needs to to do is really go back to basics and what made DA:O such a great game in the first place, not add in more unneeded features that detract from the core experience.

Hopefully BW will at least get a longer development cycle for DA 3, otherwise it might wind up being a game where you can play with your friends, but won't want to.