1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

PSN Fail - You've been hacked

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Styx0444, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

2. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

Yeah, been following this at the escapist. Shit be ridiculous. Lawsuits are already getting off the ground.

3. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

This crap has ruined my prime source of entertainment. I hope the hacker gets hit by a car or something. I'm just glad I use scratch cards to fund my purchases.

4. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

So, uh.

The hackers did it again. They broke into Sony's servers, stealing account information for 24.6 million users, and compromising a total of 100 million accounts.

Fucking fucking fuckers

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/05/02/sony-idUKN0224988320110502.

:facepalm

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  5. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, I think I'll wait awhile on that PS3 I was thinking of getting this summer then. -_-

6. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Yeah, they're still working on rebuilding their entire network after they took it down...two weeks ago, I think? Either way, signs point to the attack getting no information that wasn't on Facebook anyways (except for passwords, which you can and SHOULD change if this happened to you).

Myself, I just want to play Portal 2 co-op. :(

7. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think this is looking more and more like an inside job now.

8. JimmyCranberry

JimmyCranberry High Inquisitor

I'm not particularly worried about the credit card information taken, as I keep a fairly clsoe eye on the transactions on my account. However, I am worried about the other bits of information, namely the ones which could be used for identity fraud. And I use the same email for PSN as I do for a lot of other services - luckily I have moved on from the password I used there, for the most part.

I worry about the effect it may have on the future of PS3, too. Will it fade from memory, or will publishers be wary of working with Sony in the future? Then again, Sony can just throw $$$ at publishers until they bite...

Bad thoughts. If it is, then I doubt an 'outdated' database was the end of the second hack.

9. AAli

AAli High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/04/sonys-response-to-the-u-s-house-of-representatives/

10. The Arid Legion

The Arid Legion Professor

Heard about that. Apparently anon are retaliating for Sonys' lawsuit against that guy who figured out how to jailbreak his PS3.

Heh...

11. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It's probably not Anonymous. Anonymous already retaliated over that some time back with DDOS attacks, IIRC.

Anonymous released a press statement denying this attack as being their work a week or two ago. They usually takes pride in their accomplishments, not deny them. They freely announced that they'd be taking down Sony websites and did so. Their DDOS hit Sony sites, PSN sites, and stopped PS3 users from accessing PSN, but this was a month ago. Why claim that attack and then deny this one, if, as some are proposing, they're responsible for both?

Also, this kind of hack isn't typical of Anonymous' other hacks. Secretly compromising accounts and credit card information? Sony described it to the US Congress as a "very carefully planned, very professional, highly sophisticated criminal cyber attack." Anonymous aren't a carefully planned, very professional, highly sophisticated anything. They have brute force and some neat tricks that they used against HBGary, but the PSN [and probably SOE] attacks aren't their standard MO.

Anonymous' hacks these days usually revolve around "hacktivism," trolling and lulz. While hacking PSN falls under hacktivism, stealing credit card numbers does not. I don't recall them ever doing that in the past, though perhaps they have and I've just forgotten it.

It seems more likely that this was the work of organised crime, and either fringe elements of Anonymous were involved or the hackers left the Anonymous calling card as a red herring.

If this really was an Anonymous job, then it would seem to be a dramatic change in direction for them.

12. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

I think they were trying to point the finger with the Anon calling card as well. They knew Anon had acted recently and so planted the blame with them.

Sony's offering some free stuff to make it up. Hopefully I find it useful.

13. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Yea the whole anon thing looks like a cover up. They probably thought that Anon would take the blame.

14. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

A cover up or a frame. If anon did this, it wouldn't have been a random text file proclaiming that they did it. It would have been every image usable changed into a cat sitting at a computer proclaiming something about legion and epic haxx0rs.

As has already been said, subtle anon is not.

15. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You people are idiots. Anonymous is not some centralised organisation. One person can be Anonymous without anyone else knowing, and claim as such and be just as right in claiming to be part of them as any other person on the internet.

16. Nae

Nae The Violent

Yeah, true, but I think what Yak and others are trying to say is that this is not the same group(and I think we can safely assume that there are some elements in Anonymous which are constant) that carried out HB Gary attacks and justified their action to the board members of the site in a chat room.

Though it is likely that some of that group could have been involved, but that remains to be seen.

yak
  17. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

If I were trying to compromise a fairly large network, I'd sure as hell try to blame anon. They have no qualms about pissing people off via hacktivism, and, well...this would certainly piss a lot of people off - even if that wasn't the primary goal of the cyber attack.

That said, they went about placing the blame terribly. It's like that scene in Bourne Supremacy, where the Russian assassin leaves one big honking thumbprint at the scene
    of the murder on the flatest surface possible. Just poorly done.

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but it'd be interesting if the attack was conducted by someone or a group affiliated with anon. Someone who has knowledge of who the main players of anonymous are, and thinking that will somehow be a useful bargaining chip should s/he get caught dipping into hacked bank accounts.

Highly, highly unlikely, given how anon works, but we'll have to wait and see.

18. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    My internet connection at home (where my PS3 resides) has been down for a couple of weeks now due to technical problems, so I was wondering.
    Is online play still available? For example, does DCU Online work?

19. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I don't think so. The DCUO website redirects to SOE's offline notice.

http://www.dcuniverseonline.com
    https://www.soe.com/securityupdate/

There's not even a guess as to when service will be restored.

Please note that the SOE hack and network are completely different to the PSN hack and network. They're both down, both have compromised customers details and credit card numbers, and they're both owned by Sony. They might have even both been hacked by the same group of people, we don't know. SOE and PSN were shut down weeks apart [SOE only shut down 2 days ago] and when one of them comes back to life is not an indication of when the other will.

SOE handles all of Sony's MMOs, and PSN handles everything else.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  20. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    And here I was thinking of byuing DCU Online. Oh well. Maybe later when the servers and everything is back on-line.