1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry in Slytherin

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Cxjenious, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

For the life of me I cannot remember the name of this story... Harry is in slytherin, and I remember distinctly him going to the Department of Mysteries in his 5th year - it was a trap - and he used a lot of dark magic and such; people though he was Tonks in disguise, he dueled the Dark Lord, and...

That's all I remember.

2. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

On the Way to Greatness?

3. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Carmine has the right of it. It's pretty much the epitome of all good Slytherin!Harry stories.

4. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

God I love this site. That is it, exactly.

5. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

Glad to be of service.

6. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Does anyone have any other good recommendations for a Harry in Slytherin? I've read most of the usual suspects I think, but when well done it is quite the good read.

7. Shymer

Shymer Third Year

You might find something interesting here.

8. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

9. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

And Grey Maiden, probably my favorite HP fanfic series of all time. There's also The Snake Who Lived series, which is distinctly comedic. It's been abandoned in the third year for seven years now, however, and the author has specifically said that the story's dead, so take that into consideration.

10. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

As mentioned in the above link, I always loved Harry Potter and the Hero's Path.

Does have the cliched ridiculous Dursley-abuse, but gets pretty good as it goes on.

11. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Awesome, thanks guys. I'll go check those out.

12. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

The fic degrades with time... it was good years ago, but now it's just 'meh'.

13. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Sitra Ahra is good.

14. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

You're probably right...

I did first read it back when I still found 5th year Indepedent!Harry fics to be interesting.

A big +1.

15. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

Understatement.

16. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Had a sudden urge to read some decent Slytherin!Harry, came here to look for some... incredibly disappointed with what I've found.

On the Way to Greatness is probably the best fic mentioned in this thread, and it's at best mediocre.

These two are neither Slytherin!Harry, nor are they particularly good. Abused!Harry cant sit properly in detention with Snape due to the lashing he got from Vernon, Snape knocks the fuck out of Harry with a punch to the face, reports the abuse to Dumbledore, and then gets made Harry's guardian.

Just... awful

Unless the series improves drastically over time, I have no idea how you can say that.

Harry gets shit on for practically the entire first book. He gets assaulted, belittled, accosted in practically every way, ostracized from his own house and hated by the rest, and absolutely nobody gives a shit. Hell, his own Mother/Aunt Daphne breaks his fucking hand in a book for looking up Nicholas Flamel.

Every chapter is the same old shit,
    10 chapters later, same conversation.

I've tossed my phone away twice out of disgust while reading this pitiful excuse of a story. Its as if the author is trying to see just how bad they can make Harry's life short of having him tortured or sexually abused.

At this point I'm only reading this story out of sheer force of will, I'll read to the end to see if it redeems itself, but at this point I couldn't in good conscience recommend this to anyone.

Also, sorry for the necro, but I couldn't let this go without commenting.

Having now finished the first in the Grey Maiden series, I can say with ease that I was correct in my original description of it. Terrible. Unless this somehow turns into Dark!Harry who simply kills everyone, I have absolutely zero inclination to continue reading this series. Daphne, despite hearing that Harry got hit with the Cruciatus curse four times and the Killing curse again, still somehow sees fit to keep him in Hogwarts and not tell him the prophecy. Harry and Hermione are the only two characters with any semblance of intelligence (And frankly, that only applies to research), as clearly everyone over the age of 11 is a complete moron.

Can anyone explain the appeal behind this POS? Because I'm obviously just not getting it...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  17. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It allows fangirls to indulge in their 'badboy with a heart of gold' fantasies without having to resort to Malfoy, who is a slimy piece of shit.

18. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The appeal of the Grey Maiden series was the potential growth of a darker Harry with the help of his dark nanny. I personally think the dude has done a good job with the story and a few years back when he was maybe halfway through book four I was still reading each update. Now, looking back, I wouldn't bother to catch up on what I've missed, but he's still listed as one of my favorite authors on FF.net (which I don't keep up to date, otherwise it would have a lot more DLPers on it).

I wouldn't call it a POS, but to each his own.

As for your dismissal of On the Way to Greatness, I have to say you're bat-shit insane, legally blind, or just extremely picky when it comes to Slytherin!Harry.

My personal favorite Slytherin Harry fics are: On the Way to Greatness, The Potter Politics, The Other Side of the Coin, Sitra Ahra and What Would Slytherin Harry Do?

I also appreciate the Hero's Path, but loathe anything that says:

"When Harry turned seven, his uncle had celebrated by forcing him to clean the entire house with a broken arm (again courtesy of Dudley), and rewarded him by breaking two ribs and accusing him of being too slow. That night, as he lay in agony with pieces of his rib poking his internal organs, Harry asked God to take him from this horrible house and give him a real family that would love him. If this was too much, Harry asked God to at least have mercy and let him die. God didn't grant his prayer. Instead, Harry awoke the next morning with no broken bones and all his bruises gone. Unfortunately, when his Uncle saw how that he had been somehow healed, he screamed bloody murder about how "freakish and unnatural" it was, and proceeded to re-break the two ribs and beat Harry with his belt until he passed out from the pain.

Harry never asked God for anything again."

19. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

I'd agree on 4/5 of those fics. I share the same opinion as Dr. Strange Lulz on On the Way to Greatness.

20. Verse of Darkness

Verse of Darkness Denarii Host

Any other Slytherin!Harry fics besides the above?

Gonna read Hero's Path too, since I believe that's the only fic I haven't read so far...