1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I don't think Dumbledore cared who was the owner of the books he removed, even if just in this case.

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Except, you know, in DH Hermione has the full instructions and Harry, Ron and Hermione conclude that it was probably the book Tom Riddle used to learn how to create Horcruxes.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "given the Ministry of Magic's position on the Dark Arts". This is the same Ministry of Magic which authorised the use of Unforgivables against Death Eaters.

3. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, dude, Riddle created his first Horcrux at 16 or something. He didn't have access to anything but the Hogwarts Library.

4. cenares

cenares Fourth Year

http://www.hp-lexicon.org/magic/devices/horcruxes.html
    There was only one book in the Hogwarts library and it only refers to it in passing. Their is apparently a specific spell used in their creation among a few other things worth noting. No where on the site or in the books do I remember them finding the exact methodology to create a horcruxes. We were told that they found that you need to split your soul by killing and placing your soul in an object. It said nothing about how to accomplish this, nor did Slughorn.

Authorizing the police force the use of a deadly weapon/force during an emergency is a far cry from letting them learn and play with the darkest of the dark arts. Let alone the general public. The Ministry of Magic was very heavy on restriction all through the books, they would consider such magic illegal. Remember that the killing curse if used on a human would earn you a one way ticket to Askaban.

---------- Post automerged at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

What? I'm having trouble understanding what you mean. I meant that there was perhaps a private study or private library for the Headmasters at Hogwarts that might store sensitive information. As the restricted section is not restrict enough to allow such sensitive information. I'm thinking you mean that Professor Dumbledore took the books from such a place before he became Headmaster. Which would be tantamount to stealing.

5. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Deathly Hallows p.89 UK Hardcover.

Protip: The Lexicon is shit for anything post-OotP.

6. cenares

cenares Fourth Year

I stand corrected.

7. A Curious Stranger

A Curious Stranger Second Year

Except that making a Horcrux is considered so bad that only one dark magic book tells people how to make it, while every other one even goes as far as to say 'Stay away from that shit bro.' Sure it's easy to go 'herp derp Slytherins evil, etc...' but actually killing someone is some seriously hardcore stuff. Just because you're ambitious doesn't mean you kill your boss in the hopes of a promotion (or at least I hope not). Even if you have the knowledge of how to do something that bad, it doesn't mean you have the will. The payoff of immortality is admittedly big stuff, but I like to think people have some moral fiber. Besides, the process is supposed to be super duper bad.

I mean, it doesn't justify why anyone wouldn't lock up any book that gives people instructions on making horcruxes, but hey!

[​IMG]

8. Expelliarmus

Expelliarmus Third Year

I think you're right, A Curious Stranger. However, there is the fact that the vast majority of Slytherin think Muggles are inferior to them, and only deserve to be slaves or die under the wand carrying in their hands. That is, for them, the Muggles are not humans like them, but as Neanderthals. In addition, we should remember that Voldemort made ​​several horcruxes by the death of two muggles: his father, Tom Riddle (the Gaunt's ring), and a Muggle tramp (the Slytherin's locket).

Therefore, it would not be surprising that many Slytherin spilled the blood of one or more muggles.

However, I think few of them could come to have the knowledge to make a horcrux, much less that they all face the consequences of dividing his own soul, as seen in the physical and psychological consequences suffering Voldemort.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  9. Böhser Onkel

Böhser Onkel Second Year DLP Supporter

This is mostly fanon. While I agree that probably many Slytherins (or wizards in general) might see muggels as inferior, there is a big difference between thinking somone is inferior and somone only deserving to be a slave (or dead).

Why would they even bother? In most cases you kill someone because you have something to gain. This is only the case if you: A, know about horcruxes and B, don't care about the consequences or C, you have something other to gain (like money).

10. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

How do you think the Malfoys and other assorted purebloods amassed their enormous wealth in such a tiny economy?

Step 1: Imperio rich muggle and force them to change their will.
    Step 2: Kill muggle.
    Step 3: No questionmarks, just PROFIT!

11. A Curious Stranger

I always figured it was through the old fashioned blue blood way of inheritance, plus generous censure by time.

'That Asshat who killed Hookfist and stole his sword' eventually becomes 'General So-and-so who valiantly defended wizardkind from filthy inhumans,' and 'Drunk Bastard who broke into Emperor Ikillyou's tomb and took a piss on his ashes' is softened into legendary 'Archeologist notIndiana Jones.'

After a couple hundred years, enough loot has been gathered and enough people bought off/killed that no one cares anymore.

12. Darth Mage

Darth Mage Second Year

I think Harry will create a Horcrux in this story. The evidence is already there; he kills someone he thinks is 'stupid,' thus he feels no remorse since they were stupid and deserve to die. That's dangerous thinking, so the seeds are already there.

13. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

What? First of all, making a horcrux is stupid. There is a reason other dark wizards won't do it, and Regulus Black betrayed the dark lord upon finding out what he did. Even Grindelwald wasn't that insane. What would being stupid have to do with not feeling remorse? Viktor isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed, and he is arguably Harry's best friend.

Harry isn't fully over that detention yet. He has moved past it which doesn't mean he feels comfortable about what happened. He still overreacts to mind magic. It's not about Harry hating stupid people; it's about him not being fully over his own fear of failure and being that vulnerable again. He is just projecting his fear onto others.

14. Darth Mage

Darth Mage Second Year

Harry is arrogant, and if pushed correctly and becomes REALLY dark, I think if he killed someone who wasn't that good of a wizard he wouldn't feel remorse. He DID think Ron was stupid for not knowing deflection or blocking, despite the fact that it was really difficult, and he DID think the crowd was stupid for letting the veela control them, despite the fact that HE'S exceptional and they're not. The seeds are there like I said, but it only depends on if they're used correctly. We ALL have the potential to do horrible things, like steal or murder or rape, but it's the controls we put in place to stop them that keep them from happening.

15. masteraleph

masteraleph First Year

But they're not. Murdering someone doesn't create a horcrux; presumably half the Death Eaters would have one, if that was the case. A horcrux is a dark process used by those who want immortality, and comes at a high cost. Harry neither wants nor needs immortality, and there's nothing in the story to suggest that's changing.

16. A Curious Stranger

Exactly. Sure you might talk tough about oh boy those worthless dogs and cows deserved to be butchered, but if you put someone in front of animals like that and hand them a knife, most likely they will back out. Talking tough is one thing, but when push comes to shove, murder of any kind is something that will be a tough pill to swallow. Something like that has to be trained and eased into. Random Slytherin #7 isn't going to kill someone for a Horcrux when he's a teenager. Even if you make the argument that with the knowledge, some people will kill people for the chance for immortality, they'll do it when they are older and seasoned.

There's something I've been wondering for a while, it's been pointed out that people are cut from classes no matter what in Durmstrang if they can't make the grade. This is most heavily pointed out in recent chapters when we are told that classes cut roughly half of their students during 5th year. Santi has said that once removed, they can't rejoin or study the material anymore (barring exceptional circumstances yes, but let's go on). My question is, what happens to these people who can't quite make the grade? These children all come from pure-blood and affluent families. Are they given home tutors so they can pass standardized tests by themselves? Do they transfer to other schools? Something unlikely given how rare transfers seem to be in the wizarding world.

Durmstrang might favor quality over quantity, but these are still heirs to wealthy and powerful families. Are these people just given a monthly stipend to do whatever or just pruned from the family tree?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  17. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I might be wrong, but im pretty sure the process of creating a horecrux is murdering someone in cold blood and truly enjoying it, reveling in it. Only the most sadistic and dark can create one, and in my opinion for the most part death eaters are their for the idealology, not the killing.

18. 4arms

4arms Second Year

You are wrong here..The process to create one should be done immediately after the deathcurse(I hope so) otherwise voldemort would have done it in his free time.

Bringing Kreacher into picture with such a positive note was a great surprise. It might become same as Harry and Dobby in the future....I did say MIGHT!

19. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You're maybe wrong, maybe right. We don't actually know the exact process. We don't actually know how a horcrux affects a person. All we know is that its completely reviled and disgusting in the eyes of pretty much everyone.

Perhaps thats why that book was in the Hogwarts library, presumably in the Restricted Section. It was there where people with reason could access it, because the staff thought that no one would actually make one.

20. Expelliarmus

Expelliarmus Third Year

I think the best way to resolve questions under a horcrux is to present the following information, taken from HP-Lexicon:

To create a Horcrux, by definition the spell-caster must have split his or her soul into fragments, so that one fragment can be implanted within the Horcrux while the other is retained in the spell-caster's own body. The act of splitting the soul is accomplished by committing murder, which rips the soul apart. From Dumbledore's remarks about Voldemort's possible planned use of the murders of the Potters when Harry was a baby and of Frank Bryce's murder in 1994 [Y14], it does not matter whether the victim is a witch, wizard, or Muggle. According to Slughorn, some spell appears to be involved for the implant process, but Slughorn neither knew nor wished to know the details (HBP23).

I doubted that Harry want to make a Horcrux, but if Santi decide that Harry finally realizes a Horcrux, although it is likely that he kill those he considers as irresponsibles and stupids wizards in the medium term future (I would love to see as Harry is revenge on Ron, to get away him from his twin), the victim should be someone of great importance for him to use and then make that manifestation of dark magic (for example, a family member, an old enemy, or a powerful wizard).

Not open for further replies.