1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

I would think the magical law enforcement would see red flags at too many of those. Businessman tycoon leaves fortune to complete stranger. Third time this year.

2. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

We are thinking of the same Ministry, right? The Ministry who jailed an innocent man without trial, among other things?

3. ViolentRed

ViolentRed Professor

It's also the same Ministry that's kept the wizarding world hidden from Muggles for centuries. They might fail at some things, but they've got their main task down pretty well.

4. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

How does that show incompetence? It wasn't fair, but that doesn't make them stupid. This is also the ministry that managed to cover up a car flying over the middle of London. Fudge might be incompetent, but that doesn't mean everyone is.

5. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

It shows negligence and poor judgment. It was a stupid decision on Crouch's (and most likely Bagnold's) parts. And if the man who's leading the Ministry is a retard, what does that say about the unnamed lower-level workers?

The car was hardly difficult to cover up. Memory charms? And they may not have even actively covered it up, but just left the flying car incident as a phenomenon to Muggles. After all, Muggles would believe anything to be the cause before magic.

6. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

That is the worst logic that I have ever seen. It says nothing about the unnamed lower-level workers.

7. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think it would be better to say that while you can infer certain things from the leader of the government, without more context it's rarely safe to do so.

8. syed

syed Supermod

Tom could have accessed the Big Dark Arts, in part from a few sources, remember Dumbledore only became Headmaster as Tom was leaving or after, and he had Dippet completly Hoodwinked.
    Restricted Section
    Headmaster's Library (Dippet thought he was a goldern boy, so let him in to the stuff only the head was allowed to)
    Chamber of Secrets (Secrets refers to multiple secrets, and is it hard to believe Salazar Slytherin left books on the darkest of magic hidden with a man killing monster, he was a teacher, of course the most dangerous things were locked away)
    Room of Requirement (What if Tom found the room and found Dart Arts books that some overlord in training wanted to hide long ago, he did hide a horocrux in there)
    While dumbldore restricted access to dark arts, i doubt he removed or destroyed a book from the school, he is a teacher, i bet he simply hid and locked away any truly dart material.

While tom was young, i bet he snuck in to knocturn alley alot, he was hired by borgin straight after school, so he must have had some reason to trust this unknown muggleborn. Also, remember tom had his gang of purebloods, who likly showed him their families darkest books to win his favor.

I believe there had to be another enterance to the chamber of secrets, because i can not believe tom went and checked a girls bathroom, it can be a main enterance, it would have been too public. I bet tom searched by whispering parsel tongue at snakes all over hogwarts, to see their reaction, and so found it.

Harry wont make a horocrux, because I cant see him capable, he would kill some one gladly to save calypso, any way, harry would likly do research on the subject and see how it went badly for all concerned.

9. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

[​IMG]

It does. Why would they tolerate him as leader if the majority of the workforce was more competent?

10. Styx0444

Not really. Negligence, maybe, but when you have one case where it's pretty opened and closed, he almost defiantly did it, tons of evidense and witness against him, and a hundred other cases where things aren't so clear, it's more reasonable to assume that one is guilty and use the resources on something more beneficial. Like rounding up all those terrorists.

Actually, as far as decisions go, it was probably one of the more reasonable plot points in the series, especially since it was a wartime decision. That said, it doesn't say a damn thing about the lower level workers. That logic is the same as saying 'Well, Albus Dumbldore was a pretty badass wizard, killed Grindlewald and doesn't afraid of anything, so the majority of headmasters must have been on his level.'

It was a flying car in the middle of London. Memory charms are useless if you don't know who to mind wipe. It's possible that they left it as a muggle thing, however.

Edit:
    :facepalm Politics. Politics, and money, and because an incompetent minister is easier to control. Also, because he was voted in, if I remember correctly. You can't just decide you don't like the minister, he's a bit of an idiot, and kick him out. That way lies anarchy. This is a government, not a clubhouse. And I'm sure they did a pretty good job, doing whatever the hell their job requires in general.

Edit for Carmine's new post: Alright, let's go with a different example. 'Kakaroff is a former Death Eater. Therefore, everyone who works under him is a former Death Eater.' 'Lupin is a werewolf, so everyone he taught that was unnamed must also be a werewolf.' 'The head manager at the theater sits in his office and smokes opium all day, therefore everyone that works under him must be addicted to opium.' 'The owner of the library is a zoophile, so all of the librarians must have some strange fetishes.' Pick one, they're all equally stupid.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  11. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

Again, it does. Not to any end within the story, but it in fact does.

That example isn't similar. If I'd said 'Fudge is stupid, so all other Ministers are stupid' then it would be.

---------- Post automerged at 08:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 AM ----------

'Kakaroff' was released from Azkaban. If it's good enough for the Wizengamot, it's good enough for the general population. Also, the people working or studying at Durmstrang, or the ones who had Death Eater ties, would be Death Eaters regardless of Karkaroff's presence at the school.

Nope. I'm sure JKR would have thought to mention that half of Hogwarts were werewolves, since the measures that were put in place for Lupin would have to be replicated on a grand scale. Also, we see quite a few students about during full moons.

The head manager's smoking of opium has nothing to do with... well, anything. The people who work under him don't even have to know that he smokes opium. Also, from your wording, another point; just because he smokes it, why would that mean that they'd be addicted to it? Two different things, bro.

Again, something most people would keep quiet. Why would he go around bellowing that he likes to fuck animals? And besides, it's not the kind of thing that can relate to the Fudge example, as it's a matter of conscious choice, whereas being incompetent, from looking at these examples, is obviously not. In fact, the same can be said for all of your examples. Well, besides the werewolf one, which is quite obviously completely different, as half the student population was obviously not infected. None of them apply to the example that was being discussed.

12. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

13. Wizardmon0073

Wizardmon0073 Second Year

Huh, I was under impression that betrayal of secret of Fidelius was not a crime and only "evidence" they had that Black was Secret-Keeper was hearsay. In case of murder of Pettigrew and muggles they had only confused statements of muggles who were probably in shock from seeing magic and murder on great scale. Any factual evidence (Priori Incantatum, statements under Veritaserum, Legilimancy, check if he has Dark Mark) would exonerate Sirius.

And argument about wartime decision. Almost immediately after October 31,
    1981, Lestranges+Crouch Jr. attacked Longbottoms. It was still in wartime situation, they were caught, they proclaimed their loyalty to Voldemort, they confessed to their crimes, so why weren´t they just thrown into Azkaban ? It would have been easier for Crouch Sr. to just incarcerate them indefinitely without public shaming of his family during trial.

14. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

I am aware of the surrounding world, there's no reason not to be. Serious dose of reality, lmao. It doesn't matter if, in real life, some leaders are idiots, as I know that and am talking about the repercussions of that on wizarding society. Fudge got into the job, and isn't too competent, JKR makes that painfully clear. It's politics, as Styx said earlier. However, my point was that having such a leader wasn't good for wizarding Britain.

I fully agree about syed. Seriously man, stop posting. You're stacking up more and more evidence that you're retarded, so just... stop there.

Like pretty much everyone else, I look forward to the Triwizard. Harry's reaction to Fleur should be interesting, as he doesn't react well to the Veela effect.

15. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    He also doesn't react well to people with superiority complexes, even though (maybe because?) he has one himself.

16. Styx0444

As stated earlier in this thread, the entire setup with Sirius was pretty stupid. Just the idea that a finger was actually left of a guy that was presumably vaporized was a pretty big tip off that something was wrong. But, as I said, wartime. A street full of witnesses combined with it being fairly common knowledge that he was secret keeper meant that there was no hope for Sirius. It's true that betraying a Fidelius isn't illegal, but it did mean that he was probably working for Voldemort, especially combined with Peter accusing him and then getting 'blown up'. Crouch and company were given a trial because Crouch Jr. was involved, and because there wasn't a convenient two dozen witnesses.

17. Wizardmon0073

Wizardmon0073 Second Year

It is even more stupid when you have "right-hand man of Voldemort" in custody and Ministry just does not bother to question him just what he knows about LV´s supporters and plans and Dumbledore does not ask him just what exactly he told about Order of the Phoenix to Voldemort.

Arrgh, entire situation with Black is always making me mad when I think about it. I never understood just why did not DD push for trial for Sirius in GoF if he was sure that Black was innocent. Little things like that made me sure that Dumbledore in canon is either incompetent or extremely manipulative (not necessarily a bad thing for leader to be, but sometimes it is really questionable).

But enough with this and now I will just wait quietly for next update.

18. Anme

Anme Professor

In the eyes of the Ministry, the war had been won when Voldemort had died. I suppose they didn't care much for information now that they were secure in their victory and they just wanted to go back to their normal lives.
    Thus, quickly putting Sirius Black in Azkaban, safely away.

19. 4arms

4arms Second Year

I can shoot the Headmaster's lib idea right away...I really don't think that Tom would have wannted others to know what he intended...Liked by Dippet he may be but he couldn't guarantee that Dippet will not rat him out.

Room of requirement can also be crossed, because once he found the room he surely would have tried it so he can be immortal, but as nothing can make us immortal he would most likely have been disappointed and would have to abondon the idea.

Chamber of Secret might possibly be the place but I wonder if Salazar was smart enough to understand the effect of creating Horcrux has on one's body (like dumbledore did) and would not have included that in his chambers.

20. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

It turned out to be the wrong decision but all evidence pointed to his guilt. Even people like Albus and Remus thought he was guilty. It's not evidence that they're too stupid to put 2 and 2 together. They seem to check up on muggle deaths by magic as well since I believe Tom framed his uncle for killing the rest of his family.

Not open for further replies.