1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. A Curious Stranger

A Curious Stranger Second Year

Nah, since in Canon, Durmstrang was the first called up, I can forsee Harry just going 'Yeah I changed it, but I set it up so only one person could go through it. Figured since the Goblet only chooses the worthy, I should impress it by breaking the age line. If I broke the age line for others, that just means they got a free pass,' all proudly. It's the sort of logic I can see him following. I mean, the tournament is about Harry proving his greatness, I don't think he'll even give Calypso a boost to get her name in.

2. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

That's a school year, not a calendar year. She could be the youngest in her year, and as such, be sixteen during the tournament. I suppose it's not clear.

3. masteraleph

masteraleph First Year

It's not really an issue of youngest in her year though. Assuming Durmstrang has the same years/ages as Hogwarts (which it seems to here), students enter 7th year at 17 years old and 6th year at 16 years old. Krum was presumably on the older end of his year, and as such was 18, but the majority of his year would be younger. Kira would be under 17 if her birthday is any time except September or October.

4. X Kronos X8

X Kronos X8 Fifth Year

Kosarev chuckled. “Surely it's obvious, Mr. Potter? The Highmaster wishes to speak to you about Mr. Krum's decision not to compete.” Stopping outside two large double doors with the golden crest of Durmstrang above them, Kosarev paused and favored Harry with a slight grin. “Three dragons fly west.”

I see what you did there. :awesome

Anyways, the update was a very pleasant surprise, and the Harry Calypso duel was handled spectacularly. As always, am eagerly awaiting the next update.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  5. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Jesus christ at the duel between Harry Calypso. That was way more brutal than I was expecting. I must admit that I was also quite surprised to see no real feelings of guilt from either of them about hurting each other as much as they did.

I have to admit I'm becoming a little concerned at the lengths that Harry is going to in order to better himself, but I also have no doubt that this is what you intend. In some respects at least.

I can't wait for more updates, here's to hoping that you'll underestimate how much time you have yet again.

6. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

I didn't understand why Romulus insisted on the age line, thought it had been an unnecessary way to keep to canon, but then I remembered this:

Seems to me only the Seventh years are going besides our young couple. The younger years were selected for their own merits, rather than to pad out the delegation like most of the Seventh Years.

So Romulus drastically cut down the competition for champion to just four: Krum, Deidre, Calypso, and Harry.

Three of whom would be considered a win in Rosier's eyes.

I expect the twin Fifth Years to be antagonistic towards Harry and Calypso, sometime in the future. I suspect they will be formidable ones at that.

7. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

I'm glad that Harry's road into the Tournament wasn't nerfed down (e.g. by getting rid of the age line). I still prefer him as a spectator, but him getting into the tournament is more tolerable to me if he has to work for it - or if it takes some interesting plot twist.

The Triwzard Tournament is the real beginning of Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived, IMO. Not to say that the preceding years have been unimportant or uninteresting, but the tournament and the post-Voldemort aftermath are where Santi's efforts really start to bear fruit. Goblet of Fire is one of the best Harry Potter books, and it should be a joy seeing Santi's characters interacting with his interpretation of Rowling's characters.

Pity about you being busy for the rest of the year, Santi, but that's life. I'm looking forward to the next chapters, whenever it is they pop up.

8. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

According to Santi Kira is like Cedric: a sixth year who is 16 at the start of her sixth year but is of age by the time the tournament starts. She is going to Hogwarts.

I thought the most obvious thing to do about the age line is, because Krum wanted to talk to the "official" in private about not getting chosen and the protagonist wanted to talk to the official in private about somehow getting in, Krum will just put a single piece of parchment into the Goblet of Fire and it will have the protagonist's name instead of Krum's. It is simple and doesn't look suspicious to anyone watching.

9. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

I really enjoyed the Harry/Calypso duel; I liked that it wasn't an easy win for Harry and ended in a draw. He needs to lose now and then, because his ego gets a bit annoying sometimes.

I can't wait for the Tri-Wizard Tournament and Harry admitting to his family and Dumbledore that he deliberately put his name in.

10. Chereche

Chereche Squib

Why the debate regarding Kira's ability to go to Hogwarts? She is note-worthy enough that Santi would have mentioned her leaving the hall after Viktor and a dozen or so other students.

That aside, even if Viktor left, Kira would not have. His official excuse for leaving was something that Kira would not condone. For one thing she doesn't care for Harry, and as far as she (and probably many others) would be concerned, a critical competitor has been excluded. It increases her chances of being selected.

I would think that she would have gone to Hogwarts anyway, with or without Viktor. Being selected would undoubtedly improve her family's reputation, and put an end to the snide remarks people like Calypso have made regarding the worthlessness of her family ability-wise. More than that, it gives her prestige and she would have some acclaim of her own rather than simply being Viktor Krum's girlfriend.

11. Dark_Phoenix

Dark_Phoenix Squib

Very nice duel. Incredibly happy with it.

I forgot about the age limit in the Tournament. Middle of the chapter i was going, oh yeah! There's an age limit. Wonder how things will turn out. Still say that Harry should take over Viktor's spot, and be the Durmstrang champion. Be cool to see.

Also, the previous chapter, Calypso's conversation with Harry's family. Really nice play. Really good.

12. Paradosi

Paradosi Fourth Year

This update was certainly a surprise. I was just about done moping about no updates for 4 months.

Well played, Santi, well played.

EDIT: Oh right, forgot my actual review.

Definitely liking the new info we're getting about how warding works, bit of reveal into Grindelwald as well. The duel was good, but a bit off. Throwing around dark magic like it's candy doesn't fit their personality, especially since they're in a relationship. Then again in the heat of battle, those things don't really fly through your mind.

Anyways, don't leave us hanging until December. We don't deserve such cruelty.

13. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

Do I sense some foreshadowing of how Harry will overcome those marks that Grindelwald left permanently etched in the walls of Durmstrang? I think there might be a few hints here.

The duels were done in a very elegant manner. The first duel is the one I enjoyed the most as it clearly showed where Harry is in terms of his overall ability. I expected him to outclass Calypso when he was allowed to used Transfiguration and Charms. He is just too good at them.

The thing that surprised me the most was the Dark Arts duel. I know why her father wanted to see it. Harry didn't use any Dark Arts in the first duel so it made sense that he would request the second one to see if Harry was still hesitant to delve into the darker aspects of magic. This outcome did surprise me quite a bit.

The outcome was essentially a draw. I know Calypso was dying at a far more rapid pace, but I don't think it is a stretch to assume that Harry would have eventually bled out if no one was around to stop the bleeding. Those duels lived up to the hype of the beta crew.

I noticed someone already brought up the fact that Harry could potentially let Calypso get passed the age line. I don't think Harry would offer, and I think Calypso would be insulted if he did. They are far too competitive for that.

As for the age line, a part of me wants to see Harry march right up to the Goblet of Fire when everyone is assembled in the Great Hall and say, "An age line...I'll put that ward to the test." (okay maybe 300 is blasting on my TV right now.) Then take it down right in front of everybody (read: Ravenclaw).

Also, does anyone else think that Calypso might have sex with Harry after the first task or, at the very least, the second task? All I'm saying is that seeing your boyfriend take down a dragon and/or rescue you from the lake might cause a girl to want to reward a wizard.

14. wolf550e

I think the protagonist will study the way Voldemort continued Grindelwald's research on marks and fixed the mentioned flaw. He will start with the info he can get about Grindelwald's original work and then either duplicate Voldemort's work or ask Snape, Rosier or Karkaroff to study their mark. Then he will either use his own variant or be able to use the mark of the Death Eaters against Voldemort (for example, to detect hidden DEs or to summon them to a trap or whatever).

15. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

No.

/10char

16. Catman

Catman DA Member

14 year old's don't have sex. They learn to cast fiendfyre and play with legos.

17. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

Actually, I was thinking of Krum when I wrote that. Maybe, I'm remembering the timeline wrong, but didn't Harry walk in on him and Kira in his 4th year? It was either Krum's 4th or 5th year which would mean Kira was either a 3rd year or a 4th year.

18. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A surprisingly large number of 14-year olds have sex, but Harry strikes me as far too responsible for that sort of thing - not to mention that their relationship doesn't seem to have progressed past first base in any case.

19. wolf550e

When the protagonist walked into Krum's room and saw Kira topless, it wasn't sex. In chapter 12, February of the previous year when Krum was in 6th year and Kira was in 5th year, they were sexually active:

With magic, responsible sex is not difficult. But we have no indication of anything beyond kissing. Also, we don't know whether Calypso's figure has developed any.

20. All Hail Half-Bloods

All Hail Half-Bloods First Year

Like almost everyone before me I will say that the duel was great. I am interested to see how Harry might get into the tourney...will he do something simple like having Viktor put his name in instead of his own, or will Harry accomplish some over the top magical feat to beat Dumbledore's age line?

Not open for further replies.