1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Crowd-funded Adventure game raises $1 million in 22 hours

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Sesc, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Here's something interesting. Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert, the creative heads behind the old LucasArts adventures games, want to make another adventure. Lacking a publisher for it, they decided to fund it with donations, and it turns out to be a ridiculous success.

They said they needed $400,000 and within 15 hours they got almost $700,000. At this rate, this is probably going to biggest-budget Adventure game I can remember. Depending on the size of the donation, there are rewards like the game (for $15 and higher, via Steam) or signed posters or your name in the credits.

The fund raising is open for another month. If you enjoyed Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle & co., it might be worth a look. I'm so excited :D

Link to kickstart page.

Project video.

Edit:
    By now, they set a new record on the platform. They've taken in twice the needed amount, and it just doesn't stop. Here's an article. They'll get a couple of millions. This is crazy.

2. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

If this is the scene in just one day, who knows how much they will get by the time this is over.

Tim Schaefer is one of my most favourite developers. I can't wait to play this.

3. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Psychonauts 2 please.

4. Sferics

Sferics Second Year

5. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Tim Schafer raises more than 1 million for a new game

So, the guy who did Psychonauts among other thing, needed a money to make his new game. He asked his fans for it through Kickstarter and raised more than a million in about one day.

This gives me a hope about the future of gaming.

Also, this:

[​IMG]

More about it here.

6. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

More about it here

7. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I usually look through today's posts and completely missed this thread. I suppose mods can merge them.

8. Solomon

Solomon Heir

9. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

He's the guy who helped make Brutal Legend, right?

Fuck yeah - all for it.

10. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Threads merged and moved to Gaming and PC Discussion.

Now, I wish I could raise that much in a day. <_<

11. yak

It still is. I played it for the first time in 2010 after buying it from Steam. That kind of gameplay ages very well.

12. Solomon

Solomon Heir

So did I, actually! Though I'm not sure if it was 2010 or 2009. Probably 2010. :)

13. Kaenil

Kaenil First Year

14. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

A new 2D point and click adventure game from Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert. The only way this could possibly get any better is if Al Lowe was involved too.

15. Sesc

It's over 1.6 million by now.

Tim's been twittering a lot. What I found interesting were the numbers he pulled up -- Day of the Tentacle cost 600K in 1993 (incidentally, did any of you young whippersnappers even play that? :p God I feel old), that's about a million today. So he's got a really decent budget for an Adventure already. He's also confirmed a Mac port (for anyone that cares), and a German version :D

So yeah, really psyched. This year's already a great year as far as modern Adventures go -- Deponia, Chronicles of Zerzura, Face Noir, Geheimakte 3 ... and now this will be the crowning piece of awesome.

16. yak

I didn't own it. I had to watch from over a mate's shoulder as he played it, day after day. That bastard. I played a few bits having to do with Benjamin Franklin's lighning experiment, but that was all. It certainly looked like fun.

17. Sesc

Interview with Tim Schafer, about the game and Kickstarter. It's also got some insight into how publishing a game works. It's no wonder we only get carbon copies of a few game types anymore.

And you just knew it's Tim fucking Schafer, so you couldn't expect any normal interview. He was at a conference, ganked the iPad of a co-worker and hid in the bathroom to do the interview. The interview abruptly ends when the co-worker suddenly needs to use the bathroom :lol:

18. yak

The budgets for earlier adventure games were pretty interesting.

So, Grim Fandango was $3m, but it's later mentioned that Psychonauts was $20m. That's a huge jump in budgets from a graphic adventure game to a 3D platformer.

19. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

You feel old for playing Day of the Tentacle? Come on. I played Adventureland. I played Maniac Mansion. I'm pretty sure I still have a boxed copy of The Secret of Monkey Island for Atari ST lying around somewhere.

Incidentally, I enjoyed all three of those games more than Day of the Tentacle.

20. Sesc

Well. Clearly, you should feel ancient, in that case :D

Also, since Schafer declared that nowadays, Adventures exists in our dreams, our memories, and in Germany, I thought I'd try to see what of our little paradise is available elsewhere :p Turns out you can get Lost Horizon on Steam. It's a good representation of what point&click looks like today, I think. The plot is Indiana Jones style -- including the 30's setting, the Nazis and the quest for a mythical object. There's also a demo available.

So yeah, a rec (if you haven't played it yet) if you like combining objects to get other objects to solve funny problems like how to rig the olympic games in Berlin, a really decent story, and a soundtrack that is now stuck in my head. Again.

Regarding the original topic: Tim Schafer put up a new video, mainly confirming platforms and languages in the game. Windows, Linux, Mac, iOS, English voice acting thanks to the bigger budget plus some subtitles on other languages.