1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

TRIBES: Ascend

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by AnvariX, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

[yt]KSTJ2NN8UQQ[/yt]

Quick video showing what they need to work on compared to T2. I used to be a EVIL shrike or bomber pilot. These I'm bouncing off the ground left and right. The pilot in the last half isn't a great pilot, but compare how fast and easy it is in T2 to use a shrike compared to now

2. Kaenil

Kaenil First Year

Yeah Tribes Next is pretty nice. Meltdown was my favorite mod. Or the only one I played at any rate. They've got a section of their forums just for posting the old mods people used to play, Meltdown included. Also, if you were unaware, I guess T1 and T2 were released for free back when they released Vengeance.

As for vehicles, I'm an absolutely terrible pilot in both games. Naturally, I figured the controls were the same for the vehicles lol.

I'm 100% certain the devs won't add mod support. If modding is allowed then they would make no money because people would just play the mods. Pretty sure someone will come up with their own servers and some form of modding however.

Personally, I think if they won't allow mods, they should at least allow player made maps. Just give the players some official toolset that lets us create new places to fight without giving us the ability to modify classes, stats and such.

They could do it TF2 style where if you like a map you could donate a dollar to the person who made it. Some quality maps would come out of that, I'm sure.

3. Midknight

We need more maps like the old classic T2 ones. Broadside? Yes plz. They gotta change the unlocks tho, maybe make it so once you unlock one, the next one is higher by a scaled amount. Right now if you got a heavy armor, or a good sniper, you're going to kick the other teams teeth in unless they just base hug.

I'm trying to understand the logic too behind having a heavy armor who can lay forcefields and has a missile launcher and chain gun. Too much good stuff on one guy. They need to totally scrap the class system they have now and redo it.

4. Midknight

They did a huge patch which changed a lot of the game for the better. They did away with a bazillion classes that just had weapons switched and condensed it to a more manageable sort of armor system. They need different skins for the heavys still though.

They refunded all the xp spent so you can configure things how you like it now, and dropped xp prices on everything to more sane levels. Things I still cant stand include the sniper rifle's zoom level. The thing is ass. You can't see shit, and with all the fog/smoke/atmospheric bs in the air you can't snipe long distance at characters, you're sniping at their vauge outlines. Missile launcher I unlocked earlier, is there a trick to that other then it takes longer then fucking hell to lock and fire?

5. Midknight

6. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

The game is in Open Beta now. Everyone jump on it!

I did some soldier capping today...I suck at routes and maintaining my speed, but managed a 186 kph pickup today. Back-to-front "routes" are so fast. I was in and out before anyone knew what was up.

On the other hand, I suck at anything with less than 900 health (I seem to do alright as Infiltrator though...). And I still can't snipe for shit. That's two games that I avoid sniping in, heh.

7. Midknight

It's because you can't see shit. You have to get so close, for medium level damage, that you may as well not bother zooming in. Me? I'm going to beta test Planetside 2.

8. Tareth

Tareth Squib

So I've been playing for about 3 ish hours now, and, no joke, how are you supposed to kill people?

Am I just supposed to wait for people to land then hit them?

9. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Lol.

Be worse.

You're supposed to aim and kill them. :)

10. Midknight

Tribes has always been skill based. Skill for shooting, for dodging, for skiiing/movement/etc. No cover system bullshit, no autoaim, no crazy ass zoom system so every weapon is a sniper rifle. It's a very close quarters game for all classes except the sniper, and some of the heavy armor/anti vehicle dudes.

There's nothing that'll make you jizz your pants in a FPS the first time you midair spinfusor someone from any distance away. That being said, the zoom on the sniper rifle itself in this game is garbage, it's way too restricted compared to the series own rifles of the past, and some of the weapons need to be fixed. The missile launcher needs a second reduced off it's lock on time, and the chaingun needs to go to hitscan again instead of individual projectiles that have their own fall rates, because you can't hit shit with the fucking thing.

11. Jon

I disagree about the chain gun thing. I get shredded from a mile away if the user is any good at it, makes me feel it's OP, and then I remember every time I use the chaingun. D8

12. Midknight

I dunno man, I was really good with it before the patch that changed the classes, now I can't hit shit with it unless I'm closer. A moving target used to be just like Tf2, lead it abit depending on how far you are from the target and let it go, now I just can't do shit with it.

13. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I've started playing one or two matches every day and it's really fun.
    Nothing is more satisfying than correctly predicting the path of the enemy flag-carrier and nailing him with a projectile that just traveled a quarter of the map. (Although most of the time you miss that shot.)

But I still have no idea about the proper tactics. I'm wondering if the other guys are cursing every time I pick up the flag. :D
    What am I supposed to do if I have the enemy flag and the enemy has our flag? Should I pass it on to a certain class? Just kind of jump around the base close to the flag post and avoid getting hit until the flag is back? I'm pretty bad at surviving in that scenario...

Also have no idea how and when to use vehicles/call-ins.

14. Jon

You start going cross country. xD

15. Midknight

You hang out around your base picking off the folks who come for you while your team goes and gets the flag. Unless you're a total noob who just happened to grab the flag, then you pass it off to someone else who's decent, usually in heavy armor, and they turtle until you go get your flag.

The vehicles I don't know if they're worth a damned yet, I haven't played much since early Feb. But before they were too damned expensive, killed too easy, and the controls were shit for the Shrike.

16. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

So the game is now out of Beta, I started playing a couple of days ago, enjoying the shit out of it when my internet behaves itself. If anybody want's to play use my Referral link :)

17. Midknight

Steam has the Tribes starter pack on sale, again for the third time this month, for 5$. Go freaking get it if you don't have the items, or if you DO have the items and armor already. The gold is normally more then 5$ alone, and you get +50%xp boost for the lifetime of the account. If you don't already have the unlocked classes, perks, and weapons it essentially quadruples in value.

Join the World’s Fastest Shooter with heavy firepower, diverse classes, and faster unlocks. Perfect for new players, the Steam Starter Pack includes:

• Lifetime VIP Membership: Earn 50% more XP in every match you play.
    • 800 Tribes Gold: Customize your experience in Tribes with 800 Tribes Gold. Buy cosmetic skins, additional weapons, experience boosts, and more!
    • 4 Bonus Weapons: Enhance your Tribes base classes with the Soldier's Spinfusor, Pathfinder's Thrust Pack, Pathfinder's Light Assault Rifle, and Juggernaut's MIRV Launcher.
    • Infiltrator Class: With stealth capabilities and heavy explosives, the Infiltrator can devastate an enemy defense. This class comes with the Rhino SMG, SN7 Silenced Pistol, Heavy Explosive Sticky Grenades, and Stealth Pack.
    • Technician Class: The Technician is built for defense and repair, keeping base structures online and functional, and deploying Turrets to bolster defenses. This class comes with the TCN4 SMG, Enhanced Repair Tool, TCNG Grenade, and Light Turret deployable.
    • Four Perks: Bounty Hunter increases credits for every kill you make. Reach allows you to grab the flag from farther away. Quickdraw lets you switch weapons faster. Ultra Capacity II gives extra energy for your jetpack.