1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Absolutista

Absolutista Fifth Year

"Led" is a poor choice of a word. Fake Moody did in fact watched over Harry progress throughout the entire maze, even going as far as getting rid of some of the obstacles for him. And he managed to cast the emperius curse on Krum to get rid of competition too.

And in this fic we don't know if Barty Jr. actually tortured the Longbottoms. But it seems likely. Remember the World Cup chapter? Calypso mentions a 'crazy house-elf' that injured her (or something along those lies - I don't recall very well).

2. Hesser

Hesser Squib

I didn't pay any attention to the house elf event :O

Moody or not, I just cannot imagine that Harry would not be involved one way or another in Voldemort's ressurection. Maybe somehow Harry will go to the graveyard along with Nathan? I can imagin Voldemort promising knowledge, power and free cookie to Potter :D

Damn, waiting for next chapter is one of the hardest patience lesson I've ever had.

3. mercuryandglass

mercuryandglass Third Year

Don't get me wrong, this is a great fic and I would like another chapter as well, but I doubt there's going to be one anytime soon. It's been a year and three months.

Otherwise, this, like I said, is great. Although, as I look back, there are some minor faults, as metioned earlier in this thread. From me, 3.5/5, but I'll round up.

4. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

A year and three months? You must not have discovered the Work by Authors forum.

I enjoy this story as much as anybody, but the Santi will update when he updates.

5. Lens of Sanity

Lens of Sanity Backtraced

You realise she has a picture of a Kitten, and actual no shit kitten!

Is this like kitten murdering season come early?

@Silver Cat 777: If you’re lucky enough not to have found WbA, you’ve got about five awesome chapters to run through… hold on I’ll link you, CH12 is about 3/5ths of the way down the page.

Enjoy I know I did :D

6. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

I would post lots about what I thought of it after re-reading again, but Minion told me he'd hate to have to delete lots of posts again- so I'll be nice.

The thing about the tournament is that most of it was just manufactured by Crouch, so even if he could compete, he probably wouldn't win, because Nathan has to win.

I don't think he will go back to Durmstrang afterwards either, as Lily or James wouldn't want that with the war starting again, so Harry back at Hogwarts in year five to me seems the most likely outcome, but since Santi writes it, who knows?

7. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

Crouch may have manufactured the tournament in canon but that doesn't mean that Harry wouldn't win in this story, Crouch can't guarantee Nathan will win, only give him an advantage. But since Harry's not in the tournament it doesn't matter.

I don't see how the war possibly starting would have any effect on Harry's education, if anything I think James and Lily would want Harry at Durmstrang away from the danger, even with Karkaroff as Highmaster it shouldn't matter, after all, Snape's also a DE, I'd be shocked if Harry doesn't finish his education at Durmstrang.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  8. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

I know that Nathan is more or less canon Harry but with another name but every time he comes up a like him more and more than Harry, he has a really likeable attitude that he is more or less trying to enjoy life to its fullest without overly complicating it( maybe trying to forget that he is a marked man) as compared to Harry who although is cool, I end up not liking his character as I feel I should especially compared to his brother.

What about you guys, who do you find more likeable of the two?

9. trollolol

trollolol Third Year

I easily find Harry more likeable than Nathan. Not that I dislike Nathan, but he does do some strange things in this fic (that is very un-canon'ish). For instance, if in canon he had been offered a chance to learn some great defensive spells and get training he would probably have jumped at it (even if it was from his mysteriously brilliant twin brother) - even if ONLY so he could trounce Malfoy, at this early stage.

10. meh444

meh444 Muggle

Harry, I see the same faults in Nathan that Harry does, if I could talk to snakes nothing could keep me from doing so all the bloody time! And his veiw on the dark arts is so... black and white, I'm not a fan of black and white. Nathan could be fun to hang around with but he's just not really my kind of person.

11. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I prefer Harry to Nathan in this fic.

12. Crimson13

Crimson13 Professor

This is going way far back and off of the current topic but I suddenly had a idea when I was making story ideas/daydreaming in my head. Tell me if anyone has posted this earlier.

We know there's a spell that makes it easier to learn languages, when Dumbledore used it on Harry so it would give him a better transition to Durmstang. Would that spell affect things like Parseltongue? Because it's based on bloodlines and/or Nathan's connection to Voldemort would that mean it wouldn't work? I can see Harry looking into it simply because he could view it as more knowledge or a useful ability.

What do you guys think?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  13. elflorddobby

elflorddobby Second Year

It's possible. In canon Dumbledore knew how to understand Parseltongue, don't know about speaking it though. However this is Dumbledore we're speaking about here, he can do anyting with enough time apparently.

14. Euro

Euro Sixth Year DLP Supporter

EDIT by Minion:

User was tempbanned for this post. All people who gave him a thumb up received a warning.

See: Rules concerning the Library:

The parselmagic / basilisk derailment can be found here:
    https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=21579
    If you intend to answer to the two posts above, please use that thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2012
  15. toosmall

toosmall Squib

Some thoughts:

Is Harry actually interested in learning how to make inferi? I really don’t think Calypso would expect Harry to be very interested in magic that requires killing people, but the text says that Calypso thought Harry would like it. So what I think is happening here is that we are being told that the book is on dark ritual magic in general, stuff like summoning an earth elemental for example. Evidence going against this theory: Calypso has been trying to learn how to summon an elemental herself, so if the book told how to she would probably not pass it along so readily.

Harry doesn’t know that Quirrell was being possessed by Voldemort, but through reading his brother's mind he could discover this. Cannon Nathan only learns Occlumency in his fifth-year. This probably won’t happen though, since it could have happened already at their home, but didn’t. The big difference now is that Nathan is going to be blaming Voldemort for being entered into the tournament during whatever attempts are made to discover who put his name in the goblet, which is something Harry would find odd given that he believes Voldemort to be dead.

Hermione is picking up on a lot of things that Calypso and Harry are trying to keep secret. We know she was marginally interested in learning German, we know when they lie to her after speaking German she still looks suspicious, and we know she has seen Harry use Legilimency on Draco. Her putting clues together and figuring things out is very much like her: she is the witch that figured out Rita Skeeter was an animagus.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  16. Magic_Kirby

Magic_Kirby Squib DLP Supporter

I don't believe you have to kill people to make Inferi, just have access to a dead body.

17. toosmall

toosmall Squib

Good point, we don't ever get any description of how they are made. Now that I think of it we don't even have much reason to assume that creating an inferi takes ritual magic either. I guess I connected Harry saying ritual magic was interesting with Calypso thinking the book would interest him.

I really wish that Calypso and Harry had actually mentioned what it was that made people fear working with ritual magic. So far there hasn’t been any fear of dark magic which can’t be written off as a stigma against curses which can be used to harm someone or otherwise violate their rights. I am curious as to whether Harry’s family is right to worry about what he is learning. In cannon it sounded like dark magic actually corrupted Voldemort.

Edit: The scene in which Harry botches his summoning of an Earth Elemental explicitly says that he used the book Calypso gave him to learn the theory of summoning it.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  18. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think it was implied pretty heavily that the process of making elementals and inferi share much in common, and that inferi are in fact the pinnacle of that type of magic. By learning about inferi, Harry increases his understanding of elementals.

19. PomMan

PomMan High Inquisitor

I apologise if this has been brought up before, I know that there is no mention of it in the last 50 pages.

I cannot get rid of the thought of Bellatix Lestrange being Calypso's mother. This stems from her calling Lucius and Narcissa Uncle and Aunt. Unless Lucius had a sister, he isn't her biological uncle, and we know Narcissa has a sister who could have been in the position of having Rosier's child.

And it has been implied that there is a strong similarity between Harry and Bellatrix's spell chains, bearing in mind that Calypso was the one to help him with it.

I cannot find anything against the theory in the WbA, can any of you spot something I couldn't?

20. Tomster10010

Tomster10010 Fourth Year

I don't think so. AFAIK, Evan Rosier was her brother, not her half-brother, although that could be something that wasn't mentioned by Calypso. I was thinking that there was a significant similarity between Evan Rosier's spell chain. Rosier was the one who "recruited" Snape into the Death Eaters, so presumably they would have seen each other duel.

Not open for further replies.