1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dragon's Dogma

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Rayndeon, May 25, 2012.

1. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

Wasn't able to find a thread about this surprisingly so I figured I'd start this up.

Bought the game and having an utter blast so far. IGN has given a fairly lukewarm review of it. It is true that the story is fairly sparse and I haven't advanced far enough into the main questline to see if there are any compelling characters (having too much fun exploring). However, for all the Skyrim comparisons IGN draws, Skyrim never featured a particularly compelling story (I found the end to be somewhat anti-climatic) and ES in general has never really had well-developed characters.

What Dragon's Dogma does exceptionally well however, and what has me sold on the game so far, is the exploration and combat. Combat is incredibly fun and sets a new standard for modern medieval-styled RPGs I think. There are a lot of options between you and your pawn.

There are nine "vocations" (aka classes to choose from). However, you can switch between them at any time, by using "Discipline Points." DP is also used to purchase skills and augments for your character.

As I mentioned, the combat is amazing. You have access to a basic light and heavy attack but use of the right bumper or R1 and left bumper or L1 allows you access to up to 6 more abilities. These range in utility and effect, from a gigantic overhead slash by the Warrior or an ice spike by a Sorcerer.

And of course, you have the ability to grab objects in this game, most particularly, you can grab onto the large monsters. The system is brilliant and works perfectly in the game. Being able to climb up onto a Cyclops and slice its eye off is immensely satisfying.

But that's not the only thing. The game is not at all afraid to let your ass get kicked. Wander into the wilderness with only a few curatives? Prepare to die, a whole lot.

If there was a slogan for this game, the Scout's Motto would apply here: "Be prepared."

The game changes almost entirely at night and being without a lantern is just about asking for a death wish. It is very easy for your character to die in a few hits without patient defense and tactics. Monsters and mobs are tough, but fair, in that there is often a specific way to beat them.

In conclusion, buy this game if you love medieval-styled RPGs. Those of you that have this game already, I'd love to hear your experience with the game thus far.

2. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Patrick Klepek of GiantBomb also wrote a review of this game. I haven't played it myself, but from what I've heard from one of my friends that has (and from what I saw of the Quick Look GiantBomb also recorded), it seems pretty accurate. I'll probably skip out on this game, but maybe pick up sequels after Capcom gets better at handling the open world aspects.

3. Paimon

Paimon That fucking cat

What's the scale like, if you don't mind me asking? As big as Skyrim? Bigger?

4. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

Probably smaller.