1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Beat Hazard

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Antivash, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have to say, I love this game. Galaga/Asteroids-esque shooter with ever level dependent on the songs you choose. The graphics are insane awesome, and also change based on the pace and style of music you're playing on.

The above screens are the first nine or so tracks of a Ronald Jenkees album (Who is utterly epic.) on chill-out mode, which takes out the "lives" part of the equation. Everything from movement of enemies to your rate of fire is constantly changing based on the music you're playing to. Graphics are great, though can get very distracting at times.

The only negative that I can find at this point, outside of distracting effects, is that I went in expecting the Asteroids style movement of borders touching so that you can move to the bottom by going to the top, and when you "stop" moving, momentum carries you forward. It was odd to let up on "forward" and just dead stop. But hell, that's minor.

At $12.99 for the complete set of game + DLC + AAC codec license, its worth it. Cause Fuck Guitar Hero and Rockband. Why aren't all music games epic like this? D:

2. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

You know, I'm kicking myself right now. I saw this shit on Steam Sale, almost got it, and then went "Nahh, probably just a shitty audiosurf clone."

But you're not the first person to say it's fuckin' cool around me, so it looks like my instincts were kind of crap.

3. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

This game is addictive as fuck. Considering I have a music library of well over 15,000 tracks, and a bunch that are about fourteen minutes long, I predict some murderous difficulty ahead.

4. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

If you haven't tried this game, you're missing out. It combines the best aspects of a few genres into a visually stunning (read: seizure-inducing) shoot'em'up, and it's content is only limited by how many songs you have and how difficult you want your game to be.

There's a plethora of 'little things' that make this an awesome game. From one of the power-ups being an orb that increases your song's volume to heat-seaking asteroids that just don't give a fuck, it'll keep you entertained for a long time.

I've actually made it my personal mission to find the song that gives me the most intense game. So far, Bad Girlfriend by Theory of a Deadman on suicidal difficulty with the visual intensity set up to 200% makes for a pretty mind-blowing experience.

5. Antivash

I assume you've already tried "Dragon Force - Through the Fire and Flames" or "Blind Guardian - And Then There Was Silence"?

6. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Maybe there was something wrong with my computer, because I was expecting Dragon Force to be insane and it really wasn't. I'll give Blind Guardian a try though...once i get done playing Guild Wars 2.

7. Antivash

Yeah. I hadn't played it. I just did a bit ago, was disappointed.

8. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Yeah, if you want my list of songs that I can't quite beat yet:

'Through The Fire And The Flames' by Dragonforce
    'And Then There Was Silence' by Blind Guardian
    'Poet And The Pendulum' by Nightwish
    'The Sixth Extinction' by Ayreon
    'I Will Do Anything For Love' by Meat Loaf
    'White Walls' by Between The Buried And Me
    'Albuquerque' by Weird Al Yankovic
    'Twisted Coil' by Guilt Machine
    'Mana' by Equilibrium
    'Monsters & Men' by The Flower Kings

9. Antivash

....Really? Weird Al trumps you in BH? Shame. Shhhaaame. Good song though.

10. PpJt

PpJt Second Year

I've had this for maybe over a year. Fantastic game that I personally prefer to other music driven games like Audiosurf (Which is great in it's own way). When you unlock insane difficulty it's ridiculously difficult though.