1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Weapon Recipe/Crafting

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by redshell, Aug 28, 2012.

1. redshell

redshell Order Member

In my opinion, this is definitely one of those little additions to a game that you either love or hate, and I'm in the former category.

I'm not talking about MMOs like Warcraft or Diablo, I'm talking about stuff similar to the Customize system in the Tales series, if anyone else besides me has played that on this website.

As a slightly more widespread example, the Junk Shop from Final Fantasy 8.

Or, well, Crafting in Team Fortress 2.

If anyone could recommend awesome games with this system, I'd be grateful.

2. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

3. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I'm pretty sure that 90% of JRPGs have some variety of crafting nowadays. It comes out really, really frequently.

This is particularly true with GUST games, which are often really cool even if they pander to otaku way too fucking hard. They even have games that are just about being an alchemist (the Atelier series, specifically. I think Mana Khemia is like that too.)

Then there's Monster Hunter, where you effectively make all your gear (then again I guess it's technically a store that you use shit you find in the fields. It's pretty much just crafting.) Monster Hunter is also basically crack to some people (and primarily a portable- PSP- game series, seems like.)

I've heard The Witcher 2 features potioncrafting in some way. I haven't played it, and need to.

4. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Makes me weep, man.

But on topic, if you're talking about adding effects to your weapons, then:

Dark Cloud (the first one), Fable (the good one), Diablo 2, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, .hack//G.U., most of the Ratchet and Clank games, and countless others.

If you're talking about upgrading your weapon into something else, then:

Dark Cloud, Rogue Galaxy, .hack (first series), and a dozen or so others I can't remember off the top of my heads.

I'm honestly not sure what you mean, out of your examples I've only played Final Fantasy 8, and it's the only earlier final fantasy I've played that I actually hated. Care to clarify?

5. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for, since I haven't played any of your examples.

Hellgate London. Can create any rarity item for any equipment slot. There's random recipes, as well as predefined recipes.

Kingdoms of Amalur. Fairly basic, but you can control an weapon/armors quality, rarity, and prefixes/suffixes. Once you figure it out, it's not that hard to game the system and make a weapon 3x better than what you can find normally.

6. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Oh God, the DAYS I sunk into each one of those...

Anyone know anything about the MMO for it? It was rumoured a few years back, and then I heard nothing, and now RotR is down.

7. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Tales Series?

8. Styx0444

You mean this? No western release, unfortunately.

This. Tales of Symphonia/Legendia/the Abyss/etc.

9. redshell

redshell Order Member

Basically, using item(s) to craft a new weapon, either entirely from scratch or with your old weapon as a base. For example, you take Sword A, get some Silver, and then take it to a shop where they do that, give it to them, and you receive Sword B from the guy who owns the shop.

Also, thanks for the recommendations guys, I'll look into playing them either via an emulator or picking the games up for cheap on eBay/Steam.

Any other recommendations, keep 'em coming, I'm always looking for something to play.

10. Styx0444

Zelda: Majora's Mask, sort-of. Star Ocean, pretty sure all of them have the item creation thing, most Tri-Ace games do, and ALL of them are awesome. I know Infinite Undiscovery does.

Final Fantasy 12 kind-of does, it has this barter system where you sell shit you get from enemies, and sometimes someone makes a weapon or armor out of it, and you can buy that. I wouldn't recommend it though, the games blows.

Eternal Sonata might, but I haven't played it, so I can't be sure.

I'll have more names this weekend. What are you playing on?

11. redshell

redshell Order Member

PS3 mostly, although I can emulate everything earlier than that, and I'm on my PC as well.

12. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

The Dragon Quest games are all pretty much like that nowadays. Like in 8 where you take a boomerang and add a nail to get a reinforced boomerang.

13. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Skyrim. You can learn how to smith; leather plus ingot = dagger (for instance), which you can then enchant and/or improve with further smithing. The Dawnguard DLC lets you craft arrows as well.

But really, a lot of games seem to have this aspect now.

14. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

Edit: Was going to recommend skyrim, but I had this thread opened for way too long.