1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Torchlight 2

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by fuubar, Sep 24, 2012.

1. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

This just came out and is available on Steam for $20. I've had quite a bit of fun playing it this weekend and can't recommend it enough - especially for twenty bucks! Game play is smooth, weapons are fun, lots of shiny items always popping up (definitely not like D3 in that regard ...) that are pretty diverse, useful and most importantly fun to play around with.

Anyone else been playing?

2. meev

meev Groundskeeper

Yeah. I haven't been playing as much as I usually would because of the closeness of the release between this and Borderlands 2, but it's definitely a solid action RPG in the vein of the older Diablos and a significant improvement on the original Torchlight. I've had way more fun than I did with Diablo 3 that's for sure. Probably because it's designed around actually having fun as opposed to gear farming, so you can choose a challenging difficulty straight away and things actually have cool enchants right from the start.

I didn't realise how much that stuff actually annoyed me until I played this and saw how much wasted potential Diablo 3 was. But we have this now so who cares I guess.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  3. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I love that this game is just... fun to play.

Although I will admit that I half enjoyed Diablo 3 when I had no idea what I was doing, because the difficulty wasn't that bad. until Inferno where it was just rage worthy. On second play through it was far to easy and I was itching for some sort of difficulty settings(like the command they are adding in now)

Diablo 3 has the same kind of concept that WoW released with. Leveling that anyone with half a brain could do. Incredibly boring, no decisions required leveling and an endgame that requires repetitive game play to get gear to progress through.

I guess they figured it worked once, so why not again?

Torchlight is very similar to D2, and that's exactly what I was hoping for.

Shit, if they released D2 again with a completely different set of skills trees, I'd be all over it.

Best thing they did was add a difficulty settings. I've already made a shit ton of characters because I refuse to not play on Elite(Started on Elite Hardcore, but gave up for now) and I really don't mind it. Most of my D2 gameplay was testing builds, failing, restarting, and I loved it. Why? Because the game play was awesome.

I can barely get a character through normal in D3 without wanting to shoot myself at how easy it is.

I was browsing the forums the other day and found a post by Travis Baldree(One of the higher ups) he was commenting on people asking for private servers.

I guess they can get away with saying that Torchlight 2 is just never going to have these things because it was a $20 buy, but I love the idea of a game company making games they find fun instead of trying to please everyone with that they think they want.

Runic Games found a new fan boy. It's a good thing too, because I was lost after Blizzard.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  4. pdo91

pdo91 Professor DLP Supporter

Torchlight 2 keeps distracting me from Borderlands 2 which keeps distracting me from Guild Wars 2. My life is SO HARD. D:

But yeah, Torchlight 2 is awesome. I rolled a hammer/bot engineer for my first playthrough, and I've been happily smashing my way through everything since. That healing bot is the best thing since sliced bread.

5. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

6. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I can't wait for this to come out for the Mac.

7. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Picked this up yesterday, what a game. My only complaint is that we should be able to change more skills, and not just the last three choices. :(

8. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Great thing about Torchlight 2 is that if something bothers you that much, you can usually make it happen.

For example, you can open up the console and give yourself a full respec and just limit yourself to a change or two.

I forgot to respec out of the first auto skill and used it to give me that 1 skill point back. I'm anal like that.

9. Darje

Darje Groundskeeper

I believe the reason for that is to encourage multiple play-throughs of the game. I personally wait to spend too many points until I've tested new skills and am sure I will want to keep them.

I've been playing an embermage that focuses on ice and lightning, teleporting around and hitting shit with my staff. :D

10. The Arid Legion

The Arid Legion Professor

You know what this game needs? Pet DLC. Seriously. I would pay for some pet DLC.

Pets I would like to have:

Unicorn, Unicorns are awesome.

Fairy (Irritating 'Hey, listen!' optional).

Tuna fish, a shark would be alright too.

Spider, you can already turn your pet into one using an item, but I'd still like to have one all the time.

Panda.

Flamingo.

Alternatively, a mod would also be good.

Edit: Also what Darje said.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  11. Darje

Darje Groundskeeper

Something I would love included in this proposed pet DLC would be some more in-depth pet stats similar to how you spend stat points every level.

12. Rawrixmoo

Rawrixmoo Second Year

If the modding community goes anything like the first Torchlight people will have all the fancy pets you can think of and you wouldn't need to pay for it.

13. kalespr

kalespr Fourth Year

I haven't picked this up yet (ended up choosing to grab Borderlands 2 first instead), but is there not still permanent fish? To change your pet permanently to a spider that is. Either way, that should be pretty easy to mod, as the files and data are already there; assuming the toolkit is out.

I do remember pets being one of the easier things to mod in TL1, in any case.

14. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

There are permanent spiders, yes, but I believe if you change it to something else for even 5 minutes it'll lose that form. Could be wrong though.

15. Darje

Darje Groundskeeper

If you mean fish of the "giant" quality that permanently change your pet until you feed it another fish, then yes TL2 has them. Also, TL1 had them, but they were far-rarer.

EDIT: Kai has it right that transforming your pet again, even temporarily, will remove the perma-fish.

16. kalespr

kalespr Fourth Year

Ah, so it's still there. In TL1 there were mods to make getting giant fish easier, introducing things like a vendor and transmutations. I imagine something similar will be made eventually.

Affecting a more permanent change was a fairly simple task in the old tools, and I remember reading that TL2's tools were supposed to be much improved (by virtue of the changes in the game engine). Truly custom models/skins, of course, take more effort, but it should be pretty simple to either edit your pet's values, or create a new pet selection using existing data/files. It looked modular enough for that, when I played during alpha and beta.

I agree that some cosmetic DLC from runic could be nice option though, for professional-level "official" mods, and the like. I remember the community being pretty torn on the issue with Torchlight 1, though. But with the exception of a couple of free official mods, I don't recall the devs, or more accurately, Travis, really chiming in on the idea.

If you have a concept you'd really like to run with though, I'd recommend giving modding it yourself a try. I found their tools easier to use than Bethesda's (for example); it only getting really complicated once you stepped into the custom levels and scripts area.

Neither would work ideally with multi-player, because of the way (from what I understand) modding is set up for that, though.

17. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

I can't find the link now, but I'm sure I remember an interview where Runic said all updates would be free, because a $20 game with a bunch of paid DLC isn't actually $20 anymore.

18. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I cant see Runic doing paid DLC, that's not them. Besides, the modding community for TL1 was just fucking retarded massive.