1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Wanna try the Steam For Linux Beta? :awesome

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Antivash, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

So, apparently Steam for Linux has been in beta for a bit. And awesomely, you can now get in without a beta account. :D

Sauce

Package for Debian-based (Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Linux Mint/etc) systems or Arch Linux AUR package.

Install, and from a command line, run one of these:

"steam steam://store"
    "steam steam://open/friends"
    "steam steam://open/games"

First time I did it, I got a beta account required message. Just run the command again if it does. Started up fine for me. :D

2. CustomMagnum

CustomMagnum Muggle

Wait, you can install the beta of Steam in Linux without a beta account now.

That's pretty cool. I'll have to take a look at it once I have time to mess around with updating Ubuntu on this machine again, since I've been mostly stuck using Windows lately due to school work that I need to get done.

3. DarkAizen

DarkAizen Professor DLP Supporter

It didn't work at first , then I did
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

Now it works, although all the servers seem to be busy.

4. Antivash

Ah. Yea. I failed to mention: its 32 bit, so you'll beed the 32 bit libraries installed.

As far as busy servers: I've got no problem. Disconnected and reconnected a few times to test it out with no issue. Installing a few games as well.

There is just something unbelievably epic about installing a linux-native copy of Psychonauts and Amnesia. And of all the windows based shit I bought, there is a surprisingly large number of them already available in my library.

Serious Sam 3 and Penumbra: Overture/Requiem/Black Plague were the ones that surprised me most. Which Pen shouldn't, since it was part of the indie bundles at some point and Amnesia (Also by Frictional) was released Linux-ready at launch.

Its a vain hope that all of my library eventually be ported over, but I'm kind of hoping some of the bigger names will eventually see a linux release.

Playing around with it, it works great for the most part. I dunno if anyone else is using Ubuntu 12.10 with the GNOME3 shell, but for some reason the client wont maximize for me.

The Big Picture mode is kind of sluggish and slow, but not unusable. Interesting difference between standard and bigpic, the settings for in-game on the Big Pic mode has a way to open the overylay via a gamepad, which I cant find at all in the standard.

Overall, I am rather pleased.

Edit: another note of interest. Once you run the command line option in the first post, you should be able to use the icon in your menu to start it afterwards. Works fine for me, but may not for everyone.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  5. coleam

coleam Death Eater

So do you get linux versions of all your Windows games for free?

6. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yes, provided that the developer has a Linux version and that they've agreed to sell it on Steam. It should work the same way as the Mac games. Buy it for one platform, own it on all.

7. Antivash

Wasn't sure if I should post this in the TF2 thread, or in here, buuuut:

TF2 is now available on linux without a beta account.

8. Antivash