1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Suikoden Revival Movement

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Joschneide, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Joschneide

Joschneide Groundskeeper

Not sure how many of you have played this Konami series. But it may be my favorite RPG series of any game developer. Each game in the main series had three separate styles of battle, all rather interesting and entertaining. Combined with the sheer amount of characters with their own stories and own histories and the series really does compel you to play through to 100%. The best part is 100% completion isn't as challenging or as annoying as many RPGs out there.

All in all I fell in love with this series early and have remained a die hard fan through its absence these last six years.

But while I was content to just hope it comes back and wait some others weren't. Some people over at Suikosource began a movement called Suikoden Revival a while back to get Konami's attention and try to convince them that the Suikoden series is worth reviving.

If you're a fan I suggest checking it out. If you are interested in RPGs in general and haven't played this series I suggest starting from the first and playing them in order. Sadly only Suikoden 1 is on the PSN I think still for $10. But hopefully that'll change soon.

Suikoden 2 is still one of the rarest PSX games out there. New copies can eBay for prices up to $750. It's a cult classic like we just don't really have in abundance any more. It'd be sad to see this series never progress again.

http://www.facebook.com/SuikodenRevival

2. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've played most of Suikoden and maybe half of Suikoden IV, but haven't finished either. IV annoyed me immensely due to the main character's ridiculous haircut and short shorts, but the first one was fun.

3. Solomon

Solomon Heir

On the other hand, you could recruit dogs and use them in your battle party.

4. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Suikoden IV was garbage. And the dogs were in III. I love the series, but eh if they revived it, it'd be on a console I don't have and am too fucking cheap to buy so w/e.

5. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Oh, the dogs were 3? I guess I forgot which one I played (a cursory glance at Wiki confirms this.)

6. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Wat?

Where the fuck is my copy...

7. Joschneide

Joschneide Groundskeeper

Old ones still go for about $100 or so. It and Xenogears are two of the pricier PSX games in America. U.S. made a ridiculously low amount of copies of both games.

LT the push currently is more to get a sequel going at the same graphics quality since it's a niche market. So it'd likely be directed towards a handheld. And since the last Suikoden game, a spinoff, came to the DS the likelihood of them making it for that over the Vita is high. In other words it'd be on a console you have sir. So push for it!

And IV had its shortcomings. The battle system wasn't nearly as fun, runes were a lot worse. Maybe the weakest main character in any of them. But your castle was a fucking ship. And you could play the old Suikoden I battles in it. It had a lot of interesting castle mini games in fact. Suikoden may've peaked in the Others category in IV. Plus... Scholtenheim Reinbach! May've been one of the funniest Suikoden moments for me. Its spinoff Suikoden Tactics was decent too, especially if you enjoy Tactics games.

EDIT: The cats were IV. Beavers V. Nothing beats Mukumuku and his band of flying squirrels though. Oh and the current push (to get Suikoden I+II on PSN) includes the extras in Suikoden I that PSX didn't get I believe. Like Eikei's fighting arena as a mini game.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  8. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Suikoden Tactics was cool, wish they'd based it off literally any other game though. Especially if they'd waited until after V, I would have sold my soul to the Devil for that. SV imo vies with II for the best in the series. Suikoden IV was just...bad. Bad hero, forgettable cast, lame villains, lame setting, crappy strategy battles, sailing the ship around was annoying, etc etc. And Elenor was the crappiest strategist ever. Worse than Caeser. God.

9. Joschneide

Joschneide Groundskeeper

But the mini games were fun! Haha. And you got Ted again. In fact the extra non-story characters were pretty well-picked.

10. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Definitely have my Xenogears lying around. That game is the shit. Best RPG I ever played, even if the developers decided half way through that, "holy shit, we need to make an ending."

11. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Nah, they just ran out of money. I forget what game Square was making at the same time (Final Fantasy 8 or 9), but it fucking stole all of Xenogears' money.

12. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

It was Final Fantasy 8.