1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Secret World

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Tehan, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm wrapping up the Savage Coast now. I'm having a lot of fun, though honestly, the more I play the game the more convinced I am that it would have been far, far greater as a single-player Action RPG than an MMO. Maybe a single-player game with some multiplayer aspects, I don't know.

Basically the story, setting, characters, all of it would be better to me if it could be more intimate with the player -- like, allow you to respond rather than stand there like a robot while people talk at you, actually feel like you influence things as you play rather than having whatever you do in a mission reversed right after so that some other player can do it, present you with some choices rather than linear objectives, etc. Not to mention it kills immersion for me when I'm doing a mission and I see some faggot come in and interrupt my experience, probably with a name like "xxxDark'nessRay'venxxx" and looking utterly ridiculous. I feel like it's all wasted on an MMO frankly, though I admit to having biases against multiplayer games in general as compared to single-player games.

At the very least, I'd think that if you had to keep it as an MMO, giving it The Old Republic's system of character interaction or something like it would benefit the game greatly. Granted I haven't played much of The Old Republic yet to see whether that system works in that game, but it sounds good on paper.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  2. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Rocking full QL10s now and work on my 4th QL10 weapon.

Blade + Chaos = cruise control battles.

Gonna make a Fist + Chaos burster build for better PVE.

3. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

If people got turned into immortal doom gods apparently at random by bees flying into their mouth, some of them would be calling themselves xxxDark'nessRay'venxxx now that there's nobody that can just punch them until they stop.

Silent protagonist is a mixed blessing - no characterisation, but on the other hand, no shitty characterisation. For every Shepard or Michael Thorton with more-or-less consistent and likeable characterisation, there's a Niko "Why Won't The Violence Stop, Oh Well Let's Do A Shitload Of Violence" Bellic or any goddamn protagonist from Dead Island. If they don't say anything, they don't say anything stupid or anything that breaks whatever you have in mind for their character.

(Also I just pretend that my character's mute because she's a grown-up Sis from Alpha Protocol.)

Whether TSW works as an MMO or not, the raids are the best raids that have ever graced an MMO and having a bunch of scantily-dressed doomgods running around really hammers home the fact that shit has hit the fan - if it hadn't, Venice would have unleashed the Bees. And if it was singleplayer I would have chewed through all of the content and shelfed it until the next expansion pack - being an MMO means I keep coming back to do a raid or smack around some zombies with a bro or two.

4. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Bought to finish up the Blue Mountain what with "GO WITH THE POWER OF OUR ANCESTORS!"

lol Loki+Norse Gods. hahahahaha. Bringing about the apoclayspe? Gee thats not in anyway part of their plans. Oh wait Ragnarok. How about that.

5. Evan Tide

Tyler Freeborn

Lats quest is creepy fucks. Walking inside abandoned and blacked out copy suburbs with filth versions of NPCs attacking you. Way creepy.

Also, we need more people in Cabal, man. There's only four of us.

6. Tehan

End of Solomon Island spoilers:

Beaumont sure goes down like a bitch for someone that's supposed to be a Norse god. Wait, what did Cassie King say to him again?

"Do you have any idea who I am? [...] I just hope you understand, Beaumont... it's not you. It's me."

7. Evan Tide

Beaumont honestly dropped like a bitch. Finished his fight in about a minute cause lol@Fist/Chaos burst.

I get a feeling we'll be fighting Cassie soon. Got a feeling she's Lilith, for some reason.

Also, triple impairs FTW in PVE. That combined with skill 10 Fist and 500 hit = kill everything before I even lose HP.

8. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Assault Rifle + Shotgun. He went down like nothing.

That said Im kind of confused... How am I supposed to complete a "deck" I mean I've filled Assault Rifle and Shotgun inner rings out.

But its not complete?

huh?

I've got a Front line jacket but not the pants to go with it.

Also I gotta say Classy Funcom. Have an Official Forum... But closed registration. Well gee thanks. I guess I cant participate.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  9. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If you're referring to the Commando starter deck, then yes, filling both inner rings would have covered the required skills. Did you actually claim the deck outfit? I don't think it will give it to you if you don't manually claim it. There should be a "claim reward" button or something phrased like that somewhere in the ability wheel menu.

As for actually using the prebuilt decks, everything I've heard says to avoid them -- just fulfill the requirements, get the outfit and go on your way. They're just there to get you started making your own deck that works best for you.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  10. Evan Tide

Just finished off all quests in Scorched Desert, outside the Lair and Nightmare quests.

Anyone up for running City of the Sun God?

11. Tehan

Check under Uniforms, Merc. Most of the starter decks give you two separate clothing items, the entire outfit and just the top from it.

The harder decks are pretty pants, they're like baby's first attempt at synergy. They tend to have some basic combos going but they're much worse than what you can make yourself with a bit of thought.

...or maybe I just think that because I wasted my youth playing Magic: The Gathering.

The outfits are nice, though, so if you've got a bunch of AP burning a hole in your pocket with nothing you want at the moment there are worse things to waste them on than going towards a deck.

12. Master-666

Master-666 Third Year

You used to be able to go to the training rooms with a bunch of implants, fill out a starter deck, claim the item and reset the points yet still keep the clothing. Repeat untill you have them all, although this was a while ago now so I am unsure if they have fixed it.

13. Evan Tide

I've gotten bored of this game already. Not a bad way for 20$ to go.

14. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Urgh Im starting to hit a difficulty wall in City of the Sun God. Though the mission says Normal the mob placement and just plain hardiness of the mobs make it feel really hard... Guess I'll just wander around in Fusang for the random sp/ap so I can get some better skills.

AoE blades. I WILL BECOME DEATH! DESTROYER OF WORLDS!

Edit: Now Im Pistols/AR

And in Translyvania

Where I cant hit jack shit. Everything is evading, blocking, glancing.

I think... I might need better gear.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  15. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

Game has just become cheaper. Now when you buy the game you can play it forever. There is no monthly fee anymore.

Also game itself 30 buck now. I will buy it now, lets hope it works on my Laptop. Otherwise I will be forced to wait until summer to play.

16. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

[​IMG]

And I am done with the Illuminati Storyline.

Fun times.

17. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

Whelp, not going to lie, ended up taking a bit of a break from this because I've been busy, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut Issue #9 is now live, meaning that Tokyo is now finally a thing, so now is a pretty good time to get back into playing. Just a warning though, you wont be able to go there unless you've finish the 3 main story missions as well as done some of the Venice Scenarios.

18. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

1. I've gotten bogged down with the stupid gate keeper. Stupid circles and not enoguh fucking room to move.

2. Fuck the Venice Scenarios. Fuck em hard.

19. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

If you're having problems with the Gatekeeper, try doing a different type to see if that makes it easier, I'm assuming that you're doing the DPS one which is iirc the hardest to do. And as for Scenarios, I've found them really easy to do if you just get a group of people to do them with.

20. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Yeaaaah thats the problem.

A. Uuugh that means I have to go grind out more. Maybe I can just do it in green tank gear...

B. Dont have the issue for the Ventian.

C. Dont have a guild.

That and its another time commitment. Sigh. I should get back into it. I have fun when i play it.