1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Let's Play Recommendations

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Sechrima, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

So, I've been watching some Skyrim Let's Plays on this channel and it got me to wondering what other good Let's Plays there are for Skyrim and other games.

I'm really only interested in Let's Plays for role-playing games, where the narrator emphasises the role-playing aspect and tries to get in-character while recording.

2. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Let's Both Play Skyrim It's a pretty silly one, but very entertaining and they do build an entertaining, but not deep, character.

I think you wanted more serious material, but as a big fan, I never pass up a chance to suggest PotatoOrgy because I find most of his videos really entertaining.

3. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

There are a good few reccommendation here.

4. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

5. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This guy's voice is killing me.

EDIT: And my recommendations are worthless now that I see the rest of what Sechrima said. Nevermind, then.

6. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

Eh, you may as well recommend whatever you like. RPG Let's Plays are my preference, but I'm not totally limited to them. And I'm not the only person interested in Let's Plays, anyway. Someone else might like your recommendations even if they're not up my alley.

7. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

8. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

For non RPG-y ones, I'll go with every single Roosterteeth/Achievement Hunter Let's Play (Most up on here, newer ones headed over here) ever. They've done Minecraft (Up to past 50 eps now), where they don't know how to play and sometimes still don't, and even if you don't play Minecraft, it's still hilarious. They recently started Grand Theft Auto IV ones, funny as hell. London Olympics 2012 was unexpectedly hilarious. New Super Mario Bros Wii U. Call Of Duty Black Ops 2. The Hidden. Worms. And more, from Left 4 Dead 2 to Monopoly. Great variety in games, lots of personality, awesome way to spend some time, videos like every day. My fanboy shows loudly when it comes to these guys, but fuck it, loud and proud.

9. nahbutualright

nahbutualright Slug Club Member

10. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Toegoff did a good one with DAO if I recall correctly. His LP got me to buy the game.

11. Solomon

Solomon Heir

12. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Let's Plays are very hit-or-miss for me. In my experience most talk too much, or have stupid jokes, or their accents are just way too thick to listen to. Alternatively they're some dudebro moron, but that's mostly for shooters. The ones that talk over cutscenes in particular earn my ire. Also a lot of these people go in blind, so they'll often get stuck somewhere and run around like a headless chicken, or die and reload a save five times, or even if they have played the game before they'll spend ten minutes straight on inventory management and other boring minutiae. Some LPers are just horrible at games, which is galling. I point to a guy called DarksydePhil for an example of that. Do not watch him play Metal Gear Solid unless you want to gouge your own eyes out.

There are of course good LPers I've encountered. The few I'd recommend were already recommended -- I'll throw BirgirPall out there, though I'm not sure whether he's really a Let's Player. But if it comes down to a choice between watching the same game footage with commentary or without, unless that commentary really adds something or is insightful in some way, I'd rather it be without.

I actually started doing a playthrough of the first Mass Effect a while back in that style, before Mass Effect 3 came out. No commentary, no wrestling with the inventory and none of the more boring sidequests: just the real meat of the game. I got about halfway through it when I decided the videos I'd made thus far were shitty (I'd skimped on quality for lower file sizes, but I'd underestimated how much space I had), and there were some other technical problems. I was going to work on redoing it, but I wound up putting it off too long. I'm starting to get into Mass Effect again though, since that recent ME fanfic recommendation thread. I might just start that project up again.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  13. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

I know this is going to get shot down mercilessly but when I'm bored enough to watch some LPs I usually watch something from Tobuscus. I know he's not the greatest but something about the way he plays just makes me giggle every once in a while. I would link to some of the better (in my opinion) ones but I'm still at work for another 2 hours. I'll edit this post when I get home.

his COD series is pretty good

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  14. Azira

Azira High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

This one is my fave, Sleeeeeeepeeeeeers!

15. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
  16. Barzûl

Barzûl Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I personally enjoy DragonMKII. He has Let's plays of HOMMII, Kicke Kubicle and some other retro games. Unfortunately, he stopped posting videos back in 2010.

17. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I'm fond of this Dark Souls one. I've watched a few others, but most of games I've already beaten to see if there's anything I missed.